iceviolet

VR6 Rebuild

I got them from my local engine builder, Owslebury crankshafts.

I might try a local engine builder then, can you recall how much they were??

What causes bore scouring?

In the case of the VR6, it's usually down to over heating. The piston expands too much (overheating) and the piston nicks the bore.

VR6s that over heat / blow headgaskets tend to suffer the most.

what is the normal price of having a VR6 rebuilt, not including the labour, just parts etc and having block re-honed and head skimmed etc?

Are we talking £500 or £3000?

Quick update, pulled my finger out and decided to go through with the first idea of getting the 2.8 block machined. Managed to get the pulley bolt out of the crank, used a torque multiplier, came of easy with that. So I have got the block down to its bare bones and have been quoted £120+VAT for the re-bore to 82mm and the company said they can get me the rings for the 2.9 pistons aswell but not got a price yet for those. So hopefully going to get the engine to them within the next week or two and i can get on with getting the thing built back up.

Thanks for that, not found that website yet. Im going to be using some used 2.9 pistons that i already have and just get the rings for them.

Have you bought much from the states?? if so whats the deal with the customs payments??

no ive only bought stuff from the states from ebay and somehow they pay the vat for you. i think normaly customs send you a letter to say they have your parcel and you need to pay them duty. ask cheesewire as he has bought alot from the states. im gunna use them for bearings if i rebuild my engine.

I have some pistons from my old 2.9 ABV sat in my garage. theyeve been there a while so not sure what state theyre in mate but you're more than welcome to have them for nowt, if theyre of any use of course.

what is the normal price of having a VR6 rebuilt, not including the labour, just parts etc and having block re-honed and head skimmed etc?

Are we talking £500 or £3000?

Neil I was quoted about £2500 2 yrs ago, thats why I went with the 24v option.

I have some pistons from my old 2.9 ABV sat in my garage. theyeve been there a while so not sure what state theyre in mate but you're more than welcome to have them for nowt, if theyre of any use of course.

Yes please mate, they would be of much use. Ill cover the postage costs, pm me details. cheers

Quick update:

I got the block back from the machine shop the week before Christmas, been quite busy so have not had any time on it until this weekend, managed to clean up the exterior of it and primed it ready for a top coat of paint, matt black i think. Got a good set of pistons to go in now, with a helping hand from Stan24V who donated me his old pistons :notworthy: . I have got a set of piston rings which the machine shop supplied me with. So should be good to go when i get the main bearings and new con-rod bolts. Going to get the bearings from VW and i think im going to get ARP bolts. I was thinking about getting everything from the states but probably not worth the hassle and not much difference in price now with the way the £ is, the shipping costs and also the customs charge :bad-words: .

Does anyone know if the oil spray jets should be replaced?? I cant seem to find anywhere to buy them on the net??

Few update pics:

if u get arp headbolts (studs and nuts actually) torque them up then once the engine is in the car fire it up and heat it to one full cycle then torque all the bolts again. i didnt know this when i used mine and blew the head gasket in 300 miles. doesnt say it in the instructions but andy at storm said thats prob why mine went. something to do with releaving the stress in the bolts or something but i cant remember.

if u get arp headbolts (studs and nuts actually) torque them up then once the engine is in the car fire it up and heat it to one full cycle then torque all the bolts again. i didnt know this when i used mine and blew the head gasket in 300 miles. doesnt say it in the instructions but andy at storm said thats prob why mine went. something to do with releaving the stress in the bolts or something but i cant remember.

ok, yes ive read about that before somewhere, think you had to do something like that with some older VW's. Run for a certain number of miles then tighten down again. Im not going to get the ARP head stud set, mainly because they are so expensive. Just going to get the con-rod bolts.

Do you know anything about the oil spray jets??

Quick question about parts:

I picked up some parts today from VW, main bearings, thrust washers and oil spray jets. They look slightly different to the ones that came out of the engine though. Would be great help if anyone knows the answers to my questions and could confirm that they are the correct??

Firstly the top half of the new main bearing is grooved like the bottom,but without the slot. The guy at VW said that the shells with no grove in are discontinued now? and these are the replacements? i think they will be fine, if not better as they provide oil all the way around. Secondly the thrust washers, the came off in two parts, a top and a bottom. The new ones are just one piece but slightly longer. Is this the right part, has the two piece washer been replaced by this?? The guy at VW didnt know, and the computer just showed this one piece on both the ABV and the AAA engines?? Also another thing that has irritated me is that i ordered 6 new oil spray jets, only 5 were in stock and i will have to wait for 1 single spray jet from germany, up to 14 working days!!! :bad-words: They are the first parts to go back into the block aswell!!

Take a look at attached pic, be greatful of any feedback! cheers guys.

I'm still waiting for a part that's on "back order from Germany" after 4 weeks!

I suspect VW are slowly phasing out some 12V engine parts and migrating across to the 24V bits, which are very similar (identical in some cases) to the 12V.

I would give Vince at Stealth a call and ask him your questions because he builds so many VR6 engiones and should know. I've not reduced a VR block to it's component parts like that I'm afraid, so can't help.

ok, might just do that, im pretty sure they are compatible, if not an improvement, but would just like someone who really does know for sure that they will be fine, just to confirm it. A mistake at this stage could be costly! cheers

Any updates on this yet iceviolet ?? I'm doing a rebuild on mine, but haven't dropped the crank out yet. Useful thread friend :notworthy:

Quick question about parts:

I picked up some parts today from VW, main bearings, thrust washers and oil spray jets. They look slightly different to the ones that came out of the engine though. Would be great help if anyone knows the answers to my questions and could confirm that they are the correct??

Firstly the top half of the new main bearing is grooved like the bottom,but without the slot. The guy at VW said that the shells with no grove in are discontinued now? and these are the replacements? i think they will be fine, if not better as they provide oil all the way around. Secondly the thrust washers, the came off in two parts, a top and a bottom. The new ones are just one piece but slightly longer. Is this the right part, has the two piece washer been replaced by this?? The guy at VW didnt know, and the computer just showed this one piece on both the ABV and the AAA engines?? Also another thing that has irritated me is that i ordered 6 new oil spray jets, only 5 were in stock and i will have to wait for 1 single spray jet from germany, up to 14 working days!!! :bad-words: They are the first parts to go back into the block aswell!!

Take a look at attached pic, be greatful of any feedback! cheers guys.

the bearings and thrust washer washer are from the later 24v motor and the early 4 piece thrusts are discontiued. they work just as well.

I had all this problem when i rebuilt my motor.

yea i have found this out now, got a copy of ETKA and it states that the parts are discontinued and shows the replacements which are what ive got. Thanks for the response anyway, going to get some more pics of the rebuild up when i eventually get the oil spray jet im waiting for from VW. In the mean time ive started to overhaul the cylinder head, completely stripped it and the valve guides arrived today, so will put them in sometime next week hopefully.