Sign in to follow this  
antinkariba

Radiator Fan not coming on....

Hey,

My radiator fan does not seem to be coming on. The engine temp gets to about 104 according to the MFA. Its an 89 KR 1.8 Corrado.

The light on the temp gauge started flashing so I pulled over and cheackde the water. Filled it up and it all seems ok but the fan just wont come on. Have checked the fuses and they all seem ok.

Any ideas?

check the wiring at the fan. And i would also change the fan switch which is located in the radiator near to the battery

Ditto waynos, temp switch is bottom right corner of rad when looking at front of car (side nearest battery)

but how did you check the water when it was 104 degrees? it would have spewed out everywhere in your engine bay due to the pressure of it :scratch: did you leave it to cool down first?

you might have an air leak too, your radiator fan should be coming on before 104 degrees for sure, but remember that the MFA temp is oil temperature and not coolant temp. the nice needle to the left of the readout is for that.

The temp light started to flash so I stopped at the garage. I opened the bonet looked and looked at the level. It was really hot so I did let it cool down before opening it. Once I opened it I filled it up again. The temp gauge was at about 100 ish....

Not to sure what to do really. I will go and check the Rad switch tomorrow. Do VW still do them?

Also the flashing light on the temp guage, does that mean low coolant or high Temp?

Yeah VW will still do the switches I'm pretty sure.

Very good question with the light, not too sure myself as normally high temp and low coolant level will be at the same time as it starts to boil off! :lol:

The light can mean both.

No antifreeze mixed in the coolant can cause the car to think there is no coolant.

Interesting....

Well in that case I shall have to change the fluid completely this weekend I think. Mix in some new stuff as from the look of it there does not seem to be much in there.

Thanks, got somewhere to start!

try unplugging the fan switch and bridge the wires together by joining red, with red/black and then red with red/white, bboth should kick fan in.

This tests fan and wiring is fine

My fan has given up tonight too.

We fitted the new fan switch last week and noticed that the fan wasnt working at the lower speed at all.

Tonight it got quite hot, well up to just under 110 on the gauge so opened bonnet and the fan was doing nothing.

New fan motor??