Sign in to follow this  
Bolster

What tyres?

I've the new Goodyear Eagle F1's fitted up front defo worth the ££££

on the rear I'm running Yoko's seem to stick to the road :D

If you value your hearing then not yokohoma S306..... :shock:

Got em free with the alloys - now i know why!!

I had a good look round when I was buying four new tyres. All the reviews were raving about the Toyo Proxes T1-s so I got those. They weren't that expensive either :D . I am getting them put on the car this weekend so I'll let you know what I think after I have spanked it around some nice country roads 8)

Cheers

Mike

I second the support for Goodyear Eagle F1s. Good tyres, no question. Good grip in all conditions, and from what a lot of people have said they seem to be very progressive on the limit - very safe, not snatchy.

I've got a mate who has used both Goodyear F1s and Uniroyal Rainsports (i think) and says that the uniroyals are pretty much as good as the f1s in the dry and better in the wet. Fair bit cheaper too

I second the support for Goodyear Eagle F1s. Good tyres, no question. Good grip in all conditions, and from what a lot of people have said they seem to be very progressive on the limit - very safe, not snatchy.

Only tyres I've used that were as good were Bridgestone "Expedia". They were on a Merc C36 AMG - £200 each tyre at the time !!

Eagle F1's definitely the best around at the mo. They "let you know" when you're close to the limit. Fantastic grip, dry or wet.

i have michelin pilot exalto on my VR

I used the toyo T1-S on my crx and they were brilliant (wore a little quickly though)

Toyo are also the main choice for TVR and the EVO range so they must be good :D

Bridgestone Potenza S-02 Pole Positions - excellent in the dry and awsome in the wet. Absolutely brilliant (and they look fantastic in black). Have heard they wear badly but mine have been on 2 years and the fronts are still fine. I put this down to the C's sophisticated traction control technology.

Now been replaced by the S-03 model (which I've read mixed reports on), so you might pick up a good deal on the S-02s if you shop around.

4 205/50 15s toyos from mytyres £185 delivered. bargin if you have a friendly place to fit them, cheap.

Gavin

Are 205/50/15's the correct size for Vr6 Speedlines, or are 195's compatable?

It's just that Costco sell the 195's for £44 ish fitted, but the 205's are £68 ish fitted.

(These are for Michelin Pilot Exaltos btw.)

Can't quite figure the large diff in price!!

195/50/15's FIT the wheels, but are not strong enough. The extra width was partially to deal with the extra weight from the VR6. Not worth the risk for the extra few quid. Blow outs can be very nasty...

Just read through this one and wondered if it's common to oversize tyres on the VR or is this not possible? Had a 1.9GTI for years which is supposed to take 185/50's but everyone fits 195/45's....

I have used the Toyos and Bridgestones in the past and found them excellent. I've heard that the Goodyear F1's are good for grip but wear out quite quickly. The most long lasting tyres I'd say would be the michelins but they don't have the same grip as the others. Wet and dry grip should be your priority over longevity, after all, it's not a mondeo you're driving!

Personally I would say avoid Avons! A favourite of mine is Continental Sportcontacts, but never seen anyone else here mention them. I like 'em anyway....looking forward to my front Avon ZV1's wearing out so I can fit the Conti's all round :lol:

Oooh Contis, expensive rubber. The SportContacts are excellent. Michelin Pilot sport are also excellent and Pirelli P Zero Rosso.....but you need to remortage the house to buy those. My mate had to put two new 18" Rossos on his Cupra R....£180 each!

K