Sign in to follow this  
antinkariba

Oil Pressure guage

Hey all, I am wanting to fit an oil pressure guage but not sure where to fit one. I dont want it to look gash but I do think that its essential. I have toyed with the idea of fitting it to the pillar but i think its a little over the top. Where have you guys fitted them?

here : -

23062008388.jpg?t=1221077887

you need to take the dash apart and cut out the ashtray and lighter but definetly the best way to keep it looking original and also brings the head unit controls closer to your finger tips when driving :)

Yes! - I prefer that layout too [gauges nearer your eyeline] - must get round to it!

Can you get the A/F signal off an unmolested OBD1 setup?

What's the best boost gauge to go for ie one with minimal flicker?

I don't know the OBD1 loom at all but I am pretty sure that it uses a Lambda sensor, in which case you just cut into the feed, purple I think.

flicker? Do you mean off of a digital boost gauge? Mine is a mechanical that shows VAC as well as boost, looks pretty cool and gives you an idea of how to drive it when the engine is cold i.e. off of boost as well as making sure you are still hitting the right amount of boost on WOT.

I don't know the OBD1 loom at all but I am pretty sure that it uses a Lambda sensor, in which case you just cut into the feed, purple I think.

flicker? Do you mean off of a digital boost gauge? Mine is a mechanical that shows VAC as well as boost, looks pretty cool and gives you an idea of how to drive it when the engine is cold i.e. off of boost as well as making sure you are still hitting the right amount of boost on WOT.

Hadn't thought of a digital boost gauge, though I can see it could more easily smooth out the flicker electronically.

But the flicker I'm referring to is what you get with most pressure and flow readings of fluids, air or oil generally in cars, often smoothed out by use of an inline "snubber".

Some mechanical gauges must be better at the smoothing effect than others?

here : -

23062008388.jpg?t=1221077887

you need to take the dash apart and cut out the ashtray and lighter but definetly the best way to keep it looking original and also brings the head unit controls closer to your finger tips when driving :)

Liking that alot.

I'm going to do that me'thinks.

Did you say just tap into the original signal from the lambda sensor for the air fuel gauge? Would that not some how dampen the signal to the ECU?

The reason I ask is that I wanted to fit one for ages and thought I would have to get another lambda sensor to use independantly for the gauge.

mine seems to be running fine for the last year, I will probe the ECU some time to check what the signal strength is there and also at the gauge and let you know... does anyone know what it should read at the ECU?

well the only tool you should need is a screw driver and a cutting tool of your choice to cut out the ashtray and lighter houseing. So not really a big or difficult job at all, getting the dash out is a 20min job cutting and perfecting the head unit fitment takes a little longer to get it tight and sitting properly. As for the dial holder that was a bit of plywood painted and then put rubber rings round the dials so they kinda clipped into the original head unit space

Does your A/F gauge get its signal from lambda then?

Did you buy in the gauge mounting board - or did you make it?

As for the dial holder that was a bit of plywood painted and then put rubber rings round the dials so they kinda clipped into the original head unit space

:D

It is supprising how good it looks, I only did it that way as a quick fix till I could find a decent one where they were slightly angled towards me, but I have ended up keeping this one

Yeah the A/F gauge just needs power and Lambda feed, it would probably work best with a seperate Lambda sensor solely for the A/F gauge, but I have had no problems using the existing one

From this

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfPicture 065.jpg[/attachment:29vt7cze]

To this

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfPicture%20004.jpg[/attachment:29vt7cze]

angled towards driver

Picture%20003.jpg[/attachment:29vt7cze]

Audi 80 early gauges and gauge holder they also do a set from the same car but a later model that the needle shape suits and matches the late dash clock needles.

Here's mine, oil pressure and narrow band afr direct from the lambda. Made the frame out of mdf and covered it in vinyl (this was an early alcantara covered shot btw - must find a newer one :lol: ).

Audi 80 early gauges and gauge holder they also do a set from the same car but a later model that the needle shape suits and matches the late dash clock needles.

Yes - Audi 80's ringing a bell now!

Still prefer them nearer to eyeline though - for us 'cojers with dim eyes & slower reactions.

Yes you need to keep an eye on oil pressure but it does not need to be monitored that badly so its in line with your eye, AFR is more important nut if you do want it in eye line then try thr SWG air vent gauge holder, by moving an oil gauge to the stereo slot thats still not in the eye line sight IMO.

Any more info on these, really looking to do this to my rado.

Especialy the audi 80 gauges or fabricate my own.

they are out of an Audi 80

I bought mine of Henny with senders ! I believe he still has a set left, check his for sale thread

Here's mine. I wanted to keep the lighter for my satnav so I invaded the cubby hole. I also have a set of 3 gauges of the older style that I'll be selling on - gauges only, no mounts. I bought them of Henny, but then found a set of the newer gauges which suits my car better in my opinion. The camera makes that mount look like poo - it's not that horrible in reality! :lol:

DSCN0022.jpg

Mine's in the cubby hole, although ill be rejigging them soon as i've got boost temp gauge to fit somewhere...

vdogaugesgearknob17.jpg

vdogaugesgearknob18.jpg

vdogaugesgearknob14.jpg

vdogaugesgearknob15.jpg