Sign in to follow this  
delfinis38

Trolly Jack / Axle stands

Anyone bought a trolly jack / set of axle stands recently are their any good deals around..

Just been looking at this in Screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/prods/66742/Automotive/Jacks-Stands/2-Tonne-Combi-Kit Anyone like to comment on how good or bad it is. Okay it's not top notch quality but i only want to use it to replace my ageing stuff that gets used very occasionally. stuff like changing exhausts disc and pads.

Well i bought a trolley jack set from argos, their Challenge set. Its still ok and was only £10 (half price), including trolley jack, 2 axles stands and wheel chocks. For my use its fine, i'm no professional though.

I had that exact set but took it back after a couple of weeks as the non return valve on the jack gave up, meaning the handle would rise back up on its own and the jack would start to fall, it also had a small leak from the main piston seal, and one of the axle stands was very badly welded, I didn't trust it enough to use it, those folding axle stands are just too flimsy and the car shifts about too much on them IMO.

I prefer these type of axle stands, much stronger and easy to adjust. axle stands

cant really go wrong with the machine mart stuff and I now have one of these 2 ton trolley jack

i have six of the halfords ratchet axle stands my G60 has been on them for the last 7-8 months without moving, worked fine and were only £15 a pair (i think)

heh funny this should come up. Found out my trolley jack has packed up. So i went to the nearest car accessories store being MotorWorld. Got a bargin trolley jack, 2 ton - £10 down from £20 :D

Thanks all... I'd planned a visit to machine mart in southampton at the weekend to pick a few other bit's up so i will have a look at the clarke jacks and stands while i'm their. i was a bit cautious of the fact the stands folded and may not be secure enough.

to be honest you might as well save a couple of quid and get the halfords axle stands, they look identical to the clarke ones.

i've used the halfords axle stands and trolley jack for years now and never had a problem.

the problem i find is the trolley jack doesn't go very high.

does anyone know where to buy the rubber jacking blocks to help protect underside of car?

Why buy new? I went to my local booty and bought an old trolly jack for £3. Still works perfect as it seems to have been built to last. 'Made in Britain' so the label says. For axle stands I used Fleabay. Searched and found a retired chap selling 2 sets in the same auction. A light weight pair and a very heavy duty pair. Too heavy to post so not many bids. Got them for £20. The bargains are out there.

Old top mount works a treat but never understood why jacks don't come with a nice block of rubber?

good tip that. Cheers :cheers: