Sign in to follow this  
Corrado_Addict

Big Hole In My Supercharger :(

Not actually sure why this has happened or have the tiniest idea. The supercharger has covered under 7000 miles since its rebuild by the previous owner. I put the foot down and couldn't get traction thanks to the greasy roads after going to have some banter with a mini cooper s revs went up very quickly, heard a little bang from underneath the bonnet heard a rattle, pulled over after a few hundred yards to find this..........on the day i get it back from the garage with the steering rack sorted and my brakes working this happens :confused4: :pukeright:

IMG_3181.jpg

IMG_3180.jpg

Gutted isn't the word :pale:

Yea I was thinkin that :(

Always had bad luck with red cars it would seem, 2 days after i got my 1st car which was a red pug 106 a women pulled out in front of me, then a couple of accidents which were mostly because of me and my young boy racer driving style lol Older and wiser now but the bad luck hasn't gone away, will have spent over 1k on the car in less than 2 months plus the cost of getting a new charger now.

I'm not actually sure who done the rebuild on it, will have to look through the receipts :pale:

i dont have a g60 but if i did theresonlyoneplace i would get the g-lader serviced and thats g-werks.

have you got a reciept in the history for the rebuild??

There are a few places which I'd happily take a G-Lader to for a re-build, G-Werks, JMR and Stealth all have excellent reputations.

There are some markings on the supercharger which I presume whoever did the re-build etched onto it. When JMR did mine he stamped on 'S4 JMR' so this could be a similar mark someone's made.

It's a real pain that's it's blown but you might find that the place that did it might exercise some goodwill. Alternatively, as you're a different owner to who had the work done, there could be little comeback to be had.

When it's this cold it's so important to warm the engine up slowly and make sure your oil's nice and warm before you give it beans, especially as the G-Lader shares its oil supply with the engine. They also hate hitting the rev limiter which is quite abrupt on G60s - it tends to 'shock' the charger.

If you need to source another blower I'm sure Darren from G-Werks could find one.

EDIT - You might want to amend the title of the thread with 'hole' rather than 'whole'

I always warm the car up before giving it any kind of heavy throttle, I love the car to death and even though its had its little problems it doesn't stop the love.

The thing is though it didn't hit the limiter, the revs went high but it didn't hit the limiter, just the speed of how quickly it broke traction, had given it a good 30 mile run at 70 on the motorway after it had been in the garage for nearly 4 weeks doing nout just to settle everything in again.

There is no receipt for who done the rebuild, I think it was the mechanic who was good friends with the previous owner, had done pretty much the majority of work on it and knew his stuff so I think its just a case of bad luck

Have e-mailed JMR, G-werks and Jabba for prices on a new one. :(

I'd steer very clear of Jabba having seen the quality of their porting and omitting key parts from their 'stage 4' rebuilds. You won't go wrong with G-Werks or JMR :)

looks like the small belt has snapped?

I was going to say that. I change the small belt on my charger anually regardless of the mileage now. They cost about a tenner and can be changed in about 30 seconds once they are off the car.

I'd steer very clear of Jabba having seen the quality of their porting and omitting key parts from their 'stage 4' rebuilds. You won't go wrong with G-Werks or JMR :)

allot of people say bad things about jabba but i had mine done by them when i 1st got my g60 and after 5yrs of ownership it was still fine :)

but if i were to do it all again i would say gwerks would be my 1st choice 8)

Much apprieciated for that jay, will defo keep it in mind bud.

Have been rather tempted to go the extra mile and get a bbm screwcharger? I've got a decent bit of money sitting around which I had originally planned to spend tidying up the car, hid kit, tt wipers etc etc

But now i'm thinking new charger may as well do it properly?

Only thing is do I have to uprate my injectors and I'm guessin the car would need mapped for the new charger as well?

The BBM chargers are not reliable, several people have had issues with them and they are stupidly noisey...

Whatever you do make sure the intake system is thoroughly cleaned and I would also try and get a new intercooler too... also replace the oil feed to the charger along with the banjo bolts and steel O rings.

To be honest the noise doesn't bother me, not wanting the stealth approach lol

Will look into rotrex to find out the cost, cheers for the advice on the intake system, I'm guessing you mean on the actual intake of the engine?

If you've got a bit of dosh free, what about going the other way and a turbo? :ignore:

I'll get my coat.............

You dont wanna go turbo as much fun as it is, the BBM is a great noisy little thing just sound naff when stationary and getting revved whilst not moving, the rotrex is naff on a G60 engine.

I actually had thought about maybe going down the turbo route but I've really taken to the way a supercharger delivers the power, have driven quite a few turbo cars, 2 of them impreza's, the classic style and then the sti 7 bug eye shape which are all good but if ur cruising in 5th on the motorway put the foot down to overtake there is nothing there, now that I've had the g60 for a while I've really loved the way it delivers the power and just the fact there is that constant torque.

The bbm is noisy stationary but its the performance bit i'm more looking into, the noise wouldn't bother me if I'm honest. Kinda swaying towards the bbm at the mo, still doing a lot of reading up on things tho. :)

With getting a new intercooler mentioned would it be better to just get a front mount with the new charger? Rather than getting another small standard one?

I could probably shock you on the motorway way then with my turbo set up but like i say you dont wanna go down that route.

I had the BBM before this turbo and i loved it, it sounds brilliant on idle dont get me wrong, its just when you look on you tube and people are revving it it then sounds naff and thats why most people slate them as been way too noisy and annoying, but once on the move you can nearly almost froget its even there but its still loud outside, performance wise they are brill, better power delivery, stronger lower down, even more instant power and pull for longer through the rev range from memory, used to nail Impreza's solong as they were not stupidly tuned.

A front mount is always a better option as the standard intercooler is to be fair useless, so it is better to spend now on a front mount as opposed to get standard then to find you want a front mount later and spend again.

You want to go ported head with cam and big valve it if you can.

Bigger injectors.

BBM charger.

Front mount intercooler.

Prob £3k there though and the single most difference to the driveability and throttle response would be to go larger capacity ie 1900, just a simple rebore to 83mm and pistons to suit, and at the very least a lighter flywheel.

http://www.bahnbrenner.com/media/movies/SC_driveby.mpeg

I sent my charger to Kompressor Kanada for a complete rebuild and stage 4 upgrade. For my SNS stage 5 chip I made sure John Watts kept the rev limiter there even though he said he could eliminate it.

Good luck finding a replacement mate

I actually had thought about maybe going down the turbo route but I've really taken to the way a supercharger delivers the power, have driven quite a few turbo cars, 2 of them impreza's, the classic style and then the sti 7 bug eye shape which are all good but if ur cruising in 5th on the motorway put the foot down to overtake there is nothing there, now that I've had the g60 for a while I've really loved the way it delivers the power and just the fact there is that constant torque.

Me too. I've recently got myself a supercharged Jaguar with an Eaton unit.

Had a turbocharged Focus ST in 2006 but the supercharged power delivery is so much more progressive and much more predictable - though I'm sure the larger engine size helps too.

Cheers for that info Junkie, gonna go for a front mount, bigger injectors and the bbm. Have given darren an e-mail back as he replied telling me how much it would cost for a new charger.

Would go for the other things but looking to spend the rest of the money on getting rid of the crap headlights, is quite dangerous on pitch black motorways if i'm honest and the wipers really are tosh. So a few things then an LSD will be next on the list to get the power down :D

sorry to hear about the charger mate. thats a real pain in the ass. i remember when i had my old g60 - as much as i liked the g60 engine i was never happy about the charger unit itself - always on my mind that it would be best gone. after reading loads i really settled on the 1.8t being the best move. not a cheap replacment for a 500 charger, but a much much better replacement. good luck with sorting it out...