Sign in to follow this  
carpoid

Changing Engine Mounts

Hi all

I've recently bought a Vibra Technics front mount, a Golf Diesel gearbox mount and the other mount is standard.

I've had a search and read that the rear one may need a new bolt, but can't find much info about replacing the other ones..

Could anyone give me a small 'how-to' on replacing them please !!??

Do i need to buy new bolts for all of them ?

Maybe its easier to get a mechanic with a hoist etc to do it ? What do you reckon ?

Cheers

Matt

Easy job Matt,well for me anyway..

The front is a doddle,loosen the top bolt of the mount then just jack up the front of the motor undo the bottom bolt/s and swap that over-easy.

The gearbox mount is folowed in the same way as you would do the front but you need to jack up the box quite high up,yet again this expalians itself when you do the job,the bolts might be a akward to get out...do you have ABS?

The rear engine mount...this can be difficult from the top,so tackle this from underneath,support the motor and then undo the bolts,but saying that you could use a long extention bar to get the bolts from the top.

As for the bolts to replace...i always find the gearbox top bolt always heavily corroded. but it could be any bolts...has your motor been out before.?

:brickwall: Walesy :lol: Cheers for the link Jim ...

Cheers James, mine does have ABS, i expect that makes it more tricky?, i'll have a closer look tomorrow when its light.

when you get around/underneath and look at all the bolts involved you will see it is not hard.

I don't have the standard rad fan cowling or g60 silencer so that might make access for me at the front at tad easier. That said it should still be very manageable.

When I do the gearbox mount I undo 2 of the bolts on the gearbox bracket and loosen the other one and then swivel the bracket out of the way. then the mount just lifts out.