Sign in to follow this  
AlgarveVR6

Replacing Window Regulator

HI all

I am thick, I know it, so please don't give me a hard time.

My window doesn't work. The contoller clicks, the motor clicks, but it don't move. I am surmising that the cable is fooked, and as such the whole mechanism will need to be removed.

I have found information on this site that I need to drill out the pop rivets.

The questions I have are.

1. The window is stuck in the up position, so can it be removed like this.

2. I presume to replace the mechanism, one would pop rivet it back in again.

3. Any hints, tips, trips to Portugal to do it, would be good

Cheers all

Dic

This happened very suddenly, ie no slowing down of window or horrible noises etc, just stopped. I have changed the contoller with a spare I have, and same result. Could I be missing something obvious. (Yes, I know, a brain)

somewhere on here there's several old threads about doing this job, have a go with the search, I'm sure it's all there, just can't remember right now.

You need to drop the window slightly to remove the bolts fixing the glass to the regulator, this might require unbolting the motor from the mech slightly if the motor is jammed. and yes, the reg needs drilling out and re-rivetting.

take the door card off first just to have a look whats happening.

try and pull the metal cable by hand and see if its loose, mine pulled through the guide.

I'd put window up and tape it other the top of door so it can't fall.

Replacing the whole mechanism is actually quite easy once you get going, there's a knack to getting the complete thing in and out of door, but no need to force it, it will slip in. I think when getting mine in i moved the window up and down while i got the mech in. Half goes in with window up, the other half with window half down etc

Cheers guys

Very useful info. Had done a search but nothing conclusive. but some useful info non the less

Anyway, hands up who knows what I am doing tomorrow..............

Ohh and so you all feel better, its raining here too

Dic

well that was easier than expected.

took out the 2 bolts and the window fell down, but I did catch it softly.

Tried the motor again and it worked fine

Bolted the window back to mechanism again and it worked

Phew...........thank goodness for luck

my passenger door is a bit like this, it stalls and if I unbolt the motor slightly from the rest of the regulator it will run OK again for weeks, then just stop again, got a new one to go in, but I'm not exactly needing the passenger window down at the moment so it can wait :)

not to be funny, any1 thought to grease the runners (bottom of window) as these gather dirt, ie not running smoothly........and spray sum WD40 down the side rubber runners? ie help the go up and down....... :salute:

quickie... is it better to use silicone spray AND some general purpose grease? Or just use the silicone spray on the runners and the channels that the white rollers "roll" in ?

what about white lithium grease?

so confused :confused4:

thanks