Sign in to follow this  
glen

What car next after VR6???

Now i need a "family" car i have had to get a newer shape A4 s line (2.0 TFSI) so not too bad but just landed myself another Vr for me to use - loving it again.

It all comes full circle or something like that.

That's what i'm looking for at the moment. How do you find it and what are current prices? Saw one with leather, full screen satnav and the phone kit, with 80k on the clock for aroud £8k recently - is that a good price? Not bad looking, no Corrado though...

The M5 is also pre-2001 so you can get cheapy tax on it too - not bad for 400bhp stock, and it's not that much bigger physically that a Corrado actually.

John, you're not getting away with that statement! :nono: :wave: An E39, and a Corrado are quite different in size! Over 70cm difference in length, and easy 10cm in width.... I reckon your elastic tape measure could do with replacement.

Pah - 70cms isn't that much. It's about the width of an oven! In fact I was recently struck by how close the E46 & E93 M3's are in size to the E39 M5.

Hell it ain't much different in size to the barge sized current Mondeos & Lagunas. Of course with 400bhp it's a damn sight quicker and more comfortable.

Recently decided to mothball the Corrado and get something different with a £6-9k budget. I considered the following:

TVR Chimaera 400: My first choice, but couldn't garage it and it really needed to do 12k miles a year. Maybe next time.

Elise S1: Pretty much as above.

350Z: Didn't want to go in at the bottom end of the market with one of these.

RX8 231: A bargain; practical, fabulous dash, handles well. Wanted more performance for 20 mpg, not entirely convinced about the looks.

Blobeye Impreza WRX: Good all-rounder, very capable with PPP. Ugly, boring inside, could be a liability out of warranty...

DC2 ITR: Really fancied one of these but couldn't find one with low-ish miles in decent nick!

Anyway, I bought this:

2k.jpg

I still have my Corrado; a few subjective comparisons between the cars:

Performance: My C was last dyno'd at 216 bhp/203 lb ft as against the S2000 at 237 bhp / 150 lb ft. They are roughly the same weight. Having driven them back-back the Corrado is obviously more flexible, but the S2000 VTECs at just under 6000 rpm, and between 7000 - 9000 rpm feels like it would eat the Corrado for breakfast in a straight line.

Noise: Off-VTEC the S2000 is a little nondescript. At WOT near the redline it sounds like a BTCC car with that 9000 rpm jackhammer induction noise. It's also offensively loud from the airbox! Still prefer the creamy warbly VR6 of course!

Gearbox: No contest. The S2k has a very close-ratio 6-speed box with a very short & precise throw. Makes the Corrado box feel like a Corolla.

Brakes: Again no contest. The Honda's standard brakes are an order of magnitude better than the grooved disc/Pagid FR pads/steel hose setup on my C.

Steering: S2000 very high-geared and pointy, quite like my old Mk1 Eunos Roadster. Corrado steering has much better feedback.

Chassis: S2000 feels more tightly damped and responsive, with sharper turn-in. Corrado 'softer' even with Konis and H&Rs. VW much more forgiving of mistakes.

Headlights: HIDs on the S2000 feel like turning the headlights on on the Death Star compared to the candles on the front of the Corrado.

As I suspected, performance car dynamics have come a long way since the C was designed (and the S2000 came along in 1999!). Notice that I'm keeping the Corrado, though! Can't let it go...

That's a good write up!

I quite fancied / fancy an S2000 also. That and the DC5 Integra are the only Hondas I like.

Do you find the S2000's tail to be as twitchy and unpredictable as people claim?

Would need to be something Jap to move me away from a rado.

Skyline R33

Integra DC5

Evo

The only problem i have with Jap cars is the dreadful interiors. Yes they look nice from the outside, yes they're powerful and pretty reliable, but the interiors are just pants, i mean really pants, no imagination whatsoever

Congratulations on a fantastic purchase mate. I think I'm one of the few people on here who love Hondas, although like all manufacturers they have never made my 'perfect car'. Loved my Teg R but ultimately the corrado stayed and it went, despite being absolutely reliable and such an involving drive..... But I still browse ebay/autotrader for good ones, I just loved the sound of the engine over 6k, it's absolutely addictive, you just don't give a sh1t about the interior. Top of the JD power survey for customer satisfaction, you should certainly find it more reliable...

Recently decided to mothball the Corrado and get something different with a £6-9k budget. I considered the following:

TVR Chimaera 400: My first choice, but couldn't garage it and it really needed to do 12k miles a year. Maybe next time.

Elise S1: Pretty much as above.

350Z: Didn't want to go in at the bottom end of the market with one of these.

RX8 231: A bargain; practical, fabulous dash, handles well. Wanted more performance for 20 mpg, not entirely convinced about the looks.

Blobeye Impreza WRX: Good all-rounder, very capable with PPP. Ugly, boring inside, could be a liability out of warranty...

DC2 ITR: Really fancied one of these but couldn't find one with low-ish miles in decent nick!

Anyway, I bought this:

2k.jpg

I still have my Corrado; a few subjective comparisons between the cars:

Performance: My C was last dyno'd at 216 bhp/203 lb ft as against the S2000 at 237 bhp / 150 lb ft. They are roughly the same weight. Having driven them back-back the Corrado is obviously more flexible, but the S2000 VTECs at just under 6000 rpm, and between 7000 - 9000 rpm feels like it would eat the Corrado for breakfast in a straight line.

Noise: Off-VTEC the S2000 is a little nondescript. At WOT near the redline it sounds like a BTCC car with that 9000 rpm jackhammer induction noise. It's also offensively loud from the airbox! Still prefer the creamy warbly VR6 of course!

Gearbox: No contest. The S2k has a very close-ratio 6-speed box with a very short & precise throw. Makes the Corrado box feel like a Corolla.

Brakes: Again no contest. The Honda's standard brakes are an order of magnitude better than the grooved disc/Pagid FR pads/steel hose setup on my C.

Steering: S2000 very high-geared and pointy, quite like my old Mk1 Eunos Roadster. Corrado steering has much better feedback.

Chassis: S2000 feels more tightly damped and responsive, with sharper turn-in. Corrado 'softer' even with Konis and H&Rs. VW much more forgiving of mistakes.

Headlights: HIDs on the S2000 feel like turning the headlights on on the Death Star compared to the candles on the front of the Corrado.

As I suspected, performance car dynamics have come a long way since the C was designed (and the S2000 came along in 1999!). Notice that I'm keeping the Corrado, though! Can't let it go...

I had an S2000 for a brief while a few years ago. No car and I mean NO car has better gearchange than an S2000. Magnificent. The brakes are pretty special too and a match for a 911 for stopping power. In many people's hands, the VR6 Corrado would be quicker cross country, it is much easier to drive fast and the power is more accesible to most drivers. But in the 7K-9K zone, the S2000 would leave the Corrado, but not easily. My one was in black with the full red leather and red dashboard (a theme for me :grin: ) which was an option back in 2001/2002. Oh and if the roads are very wet, then no contest, Corrado would utterly muller the S2000. You'd be gathering up handfuls of opposite lock (which is nice when you're in the mood) at every corner. You have to be very careful about make of tyres and tyre pressures. I did 15,000 very very hard miles in the S2000 and nothing rattled or broke. I'd do another one tomorrow if I could. :clap:

The S2k is fine as long as it's driven smoothly and with a bit of feel and sympathy with what's happening at the back end. It has a lot of dry grip to lean on. I tend to drive it more like a GT car, balanced throttle to the apex and then smoothly unwinding lock and applying power towards the exit to be at full-throttle by the time the car is pointing straight. It does need to be balanced, and any harsh power or steering inputs would probably upset it quite quickly. I used to own an MR2 Turbo and that was exactly the same. I agree that the Corrado would be quicker point-point in the wet; I'd certainly be on the power earlier in the VR6, and am happy to come off the throttle to tighten the line on the Corrado, whereas I reckon a sudden lift in the S2000 would result in Honda/barrier interface. Even when lightly loaded-up exiting a wide corner, an upshift causes the back to move around slightly, I suspect due to the torsen diff suddenly having power removed when the clutch goes in. It's a little unnerving at first, and probably feels much worse than it actually is. It is rewarding to go quickly in through the twisties.

Most of the S2000s and MR2Ts that get binned are due to people with no appreciation of RWD dynamics giving it large in 2nd gear on roundabouts and wondering why they ended-up pointing the other way.

It certainly feels a lot quicker than a VR6, but as mentioned above there probably isn't a lot in it; the Corrado's acceleration feels linear, whereas there is a noticeable increase in acceleration rate all the way to the S2k redline, along with the associated effect of the 'petrol chainsaw amplified to 11' noise from the Honda.

Potential reliability was a small additional consideration for me buying the Honda, although my Corrado has been utterly reliable as well (probably because the previous owner spent the equivalent of last year's RBS losses on fixing it over the years)!

I had the same dilemma looking for a new car

and my budget was 5k.I considered all the options searched all the forums and came up with the conclusion that the corrado was the best package out there.

1.German build quality and technology

2.The damm near perfect looks

3.The reliability (vr6 in my case)

4.The performance

5.The residual value if looked after no depreciation

6.The parts cost and vastness of the spares

7.The friendly and admiring glances recieved from 90% of people

If i had to make the decision again i wouldnt even bother unless i had 12k and would almost 90% stick with german the last 5 cars i have owned have all been german a porsche boxster a bmw e36m3 a mk2 golf gti and a track mk1 golf gti and a mk3 vr6.As some have already said try a differant corrado build a track toy.But one thing stick with the c at least until you have more in the kitty as the cars shortlisted on your list will all fall short in some ways from the c

Oh and if the roads are very wet, then no contest, Corrado would utterly muller the S2000. You'd be gathering up handfuls of opposite lock (which is nice when you're in the mood) at every corner.

Are you talking about lift off over steer, or power over steer? Slightly concerning if the latter. The S2000's rear tyres aren't exactly skinny and it has an LSD, and yet so little torque is able to break traction so easily?

I've driven RWD cars with 3 times the torque of the S2000 and they've felt very sure footed under power through the turns.

I did initially scheme up an S2000 Turbo project in my head (no standard car is ever good enough for me :D ) but if it loses traction under power that easily, I think I'll revert back to my E39 M5 plan.

This is quite an interesting thread, nice to see a lot of people not really bothering to replace the C unless it's for something RWD or quite exotic. I must admit I've got a real hankering for an E46 M3 but I'm just not sure I could let my C go and also the relative stigma of driving an M3. Has anyone on here had one/driven one? What did you think?

As for the S2000, not sure I like the revvy nature of those engines, I found the CTR tiring to drive in anger as you need to rag the hell out of it to get it going. I'd prefer the brute force of a larger capacity motor over a revvy top end any day.

You're not wrong, a decent TDI can embarrass and S2000 if caught off guard, but most of the VTECs do have a bit of off cam urge, thanks to the mega short gearing. I was actually quite surprised by how lively a MK1 CTR felt off cam, which was all the more dissapointing for me when not much happened past 6K. It made a lot of (horrible) noise but without the corresponding boost in acceleration.

I hear the S2000 engine is a lot better at the top end though.

If you don't like revving, you won't like the M3 either, although it's 'Vanos' zone isn't quite as Jekyll / hyde as the VTEC's, just a nice big seemelss surge to the redline. I'm not a fan of engine ragging either mate, but if I was forced to rag one regularly, it would be the M3's motor.

It's a hell of a lot smoother and nicer sounding than the VTEC and is a very refined cruiser. It's only really let down at traffic speeds though, where it sounds like a bucket of bolts (solid lifters). I would find that quite embarrassing to be fair. Paying £50K for a prestige car and it sounds like a Talbot Horizon.

I was in a similar position last year and went the TVR route. Other things I was considering were:

944 Turbo - (quick, but too similar to the the rado - plus interior feels dated by comparison- felt v. solid and reassuring however, and v. tunable :-) )

911 SC (would have been a bag of rust for my budget- if you can't afford to by a good one you can't afford to buy etc..- plus by todays standards, not fast)

TVR Chimaera- (ticked all the boxes so I went for it)

random american muscle (eg C3/C4 covrettes)- (wouldn't have fitted in the garage- so discounted.. shame though as really like the C3 shape..)

Main thing to bear mind however, is that I decided to keep the rado alongside, this it would only ever be a 2nd car- if it had been my only car (and hence must be reliable/can't be in the garage for 2 weeks at a time etc ) I would have probably gone the S2000/Z4/350Z route

Cars that I saw as a 'modern replacement' for that rado are the LCR (I was impressed by PhilK's- definitaly has a nice sense of urgency about it), 350Z or Rx8

Ultimately I would say that if you are tied down to one car, then it will have to be a compromise to give you everything you are looking for, if you can manage 2 cars then it opens a whole new area of possibilities- - however this will be more expense, and requires you to have parking etc...

"That's what i'm looking for at the moment. How do you find it and what are current prices? Saw one with leather, full screen satnav and the phone kit, with 80k on the clock for aroud £8k recently - is that a good price? Not bad looking, no Corrado though..."

They are nice cars - i paid a lot more than that for mine 7 or so months ago (60k and no leather - black with 18in 5 spokes) - that is why i have decided i need to keep it a long time to make the price drop less sore.

Now the corrado is here i have something else to play with.

Audi is nice and performs well - similar power output to Vr - looks the part too!

It did take a while to get used to 2 wheel drive after 2 quattros however!

Ive been pretty quite during this, but fault i would let you know i found my new car and hopefully picking up saturday!

ohh and my budget doubled........ :cuckoo:

2003 S4 avant in silver LPG converted :clap:

Has every thing i want, super fast, handles very well, pratical and cheap to run (well cheap for a 4.2 V8!)

The V8 worble done it for me.... goose bumps 8) (check out you tube search B6 S4)

Will be sad to see corrado go, when i sell it...... but with new toy shouldnt be to hard

so expect to see and LPG corrado and lots of goodies up for sale this weekend!

Can I revive the talk , but somehow debunk many ideas above. Setting a budget close to say £7k (ish), anyone ideas of a nippy motor to buy? Put that budget with desire for cars less than 5 years old, soon enough my dream of a coupe goes out the window. I'm not old school, or a hero, or immensly skilled , so steering clear of RWD.

I have to be considerate to the family so 2 seats are out; thats the tail happy Z4 and S2000, and bulky 350z out. Want to avoid ugliness, but admit I might have to go down the hatch back route - but will not bow down to the scooby route. Would prefer a VR engine over a turbo 1.8/2.0 and avoid belt replacements and turbo overhauls, however learning to be less against the turbo's.

After looking at mk1 TT's that all seem to be over 10k for my limiting wish list; it seems some hatches are pricey too. However 2 have caught my eye as price bashing worthy considerations. Firstly the Focus ST, but really not my cup of tea simply due to looks.

Then that leaves my second the A3 3.2 .... anyone got an idea of what these should be fetching today - say a 5 year old one? Are these quattro's the same basis as the TT?

EDIT: forgot to mention Im a miser, a true pincher. My hesitation is that looking at a 5yr A3, suddenly Im thinking that when it hit 10 years old its easily going to be worth say £4k; meaning its going to be loosing £1k per year at best; not funny considering some nicer cars falls slower. Was hoping a TT might do better. Really do wish I'd caught the one I saw last year for £9.5, 3.2 54, 55k/mile, minty; cant find one the same price since; damn insurance payout slowness (which fell short of my cars worth).

Help

Looking, As just had it for such a long time now and fancy a change... and have the money to buy something different.

Can’t spend the money on performance upgrades as its LPG converted and that limits the engine work.

Jon_VR6 is in the process of setting up a Rotrex charged LPG [dual fuel] beast, proposing to run at 1 bar IIRC! :notworthy:

Tempted?

Can I revive the talk , but somehow debunk many ideas above. Setting a budget close to say £7k (ish), anyone ideas of a nippy motor to buy? Put that budget with desire for cars less than 5 years old, soon enough my dream of a coupe goes out the window. I'm not old school, or a hero, or immensly skilled , so steering clear of RWD.

I have to be considerate to the family so 2 seats are out; thats the tail happy Z4 and S2000, and bulky 350z out. Want to avoid ugliness, but admit I might have to go down the hatch back route - but will not bow down to the scooby route. Would prefer a VR engine over a turbo 1.8/2.0 and avoid belt replacements and turbo overhauls, however learning to be less against the turbo's.

After looking at mk1 TT's that all seem to be over 10k for my limiting wish list; it seems some hatches are pricey too. However 2 have caught my eye as price bashing worthy considerations. Firstly the Focus ST, but really not my cup of tea simply due to looks.

Then that leaves my second the A3 3.2 .... anyone got an idea of what these should be fetching today - say a 5 year old one? Are these quattro's the same basis as the TT?

EDIT: forgot to mention Im a miser, a true pincher. My hesitation is that looking at a 5yr A3, suddenly Im thinking that when it hit 10 years old its easily going to be worth say £4k; meaning its going to be loosing £1k per year at best; not funny considering some nicer cars falls slower. Was hoping a TT might do better. Really do wish I'd caught the one I saw last year for £9.5, 3.2 54, 55k/mile, minty; cant find one the same price since; damn insurance payout slowness (which fell short of my cars worth).

Help

I'm a tad confused :scratch: . You say you need to consider family and so unless you have children under 7 I'd say a TT is no use. I run a Mk2 TT and had to buy my Corrado as a sensible second car :clap:

Getting back on topic I quite like the choice of an A3 3.2 - you'd need factor in poor fuel economy and hopefully you have an independent garage to service it etc as you don't want to pay main Audi dealer labour prices. Alternatively with £7k you might want to look at Seat Leon Cupras as I don't think Mk5 Golf Gti's are down that low just yet.

I'm a tad confused :scratch: . You say you need to consider family and so unless you have children under 7 I'd say a TT is no use. I run a Mk2 TT and had to buy my Corrado as a sensible second car :clap:

Getting back on topic I quite like the choice of an A3 3.2 - you'd need factor in poor fuel economy and hopefully you have an independent garage to service it etc as you don't want to pay main Audi dealer labour prices. Alternatively with £7k you might want to look at Seat Leon Cupras as I don't think Mk5 Golf Gti's are down that low just yet.

Yeh, you've answered your own question. Child well under 7 and destined to be a midget; hence I even considered likes of Z4 and picking up c-seat en-route (only would keep car 3 yrs anyhow). However, to keep warters calm at home ,im plumping for 2+2. So you're saying the A3 is a good car? And yes, you're right, the mk5 Golf is still about 10k. And no worries about servicing, the Corrado lived fine, as will any other car in my hands; would never touch the Stealers.

how bout an RX-8?

quick, nimble and providing you look after it, you shouldn't have any issues with the rotary engine.

Get a decent mid-mileage one for around 6k......will lose less than 1k a year in depreciation providing you're not driving the length of the country every week.