Sign in to follow this  
Leonard

3.68 Final Drive, MPG bad?

Contemplating a 3.68 final drive although...

I quite like the relaxed cruising of the Corrado on the motorway. What sort of MPG and revs can I expect cruising at 90-100mph?

Thanks

Matt

I quite like the relaxed cruising of the Corrado on the motorway. What sort of MPG and revs can I expect cruising at 90-100mph?

Thanks

Matt

You can fit a 5th gear from a diesel iirc - so you can retain that relaxed cruising you enjoy :) Probably 100-200 from VAG - as is the final drive.

Thanks

Matt

You can fit a 5th gear from a diesel iirc - so you can retain that relaxed cruising you enjoy :) Probably 100-200 from VAG - as is the final drive.

Yeah but that gives me an even more relaxed cruise doesnt it and no increase in acceleration in the other 4 gears??? Where as the 3.68 drive off a Gti or such gives more revs in 5th but better acceleration 1-4th??? Isnt that right :confused4: LOL

Nope wrong mate - the final drive shortens your ratios. The result is a reduced top speed but better acceleration. As your 5th gear is affected - you can counter the change in that gear by fitting a different ratio from the original 5th cog - thus giving you a taller 5th for cruising. Gears 1-4 are shorter so good for acceleration. The 3.68FD comes from the G60 box. A taller 5th comes from a diesel box - details are on the wiki. Download a ratio calculator and see the differences and speeds achieved from each gear - it'll make sense then :)

im going down this route when i put a diff in...should be fun!

Are you changing 5th james? Going to do this to help consumption on the way to the alps ;)

Nope wrong mate - the final drive shortens your ratios. The result is a reduced top speed but better acceleration. As your 5th gear is affected - you can counter the change in that gear by fitting a different ratio from the original 5th cog - thus giving you a taller 5th for cruising. Gears 1-4 are shorter so good for acceleration. The 3.68FD comes from the G60 box. A taller 5th comes from a diesel box - details are on the wiki. Download a ratio calculator and see the differences and speeds achieved from each gear - it'll make sense then :)

Ahhh now its all coming together! :grin:

Soooo if I get the 3.68 drive out of a Mk3 16v and the 5th gear from a diesel I will have the best of both worlds. Same relaxed 5th gear but increased acceleration through gears 1-4????

Thanks for spelling it out to me LOL

Matt

no im sticking with the original gear set along with the 3.68 final drive...as my car is not a daily i dont care to much about mpg :grin: But would like to know what the top speed would work out to be,im sure there is something on club gti.."off to have a look"

Ahhh now its all coming together! :grin:

Soooo if I get the 3.68 drive out of a Mk3 16v and the 5th gear from a diesel I will have the best of both worlds. Same relaxed 5th gear but increased acceleration through gears 1-4????

Thanks for spelling it out to me LOL

No worries mate - seriously download a calculator and you'll see the differences every change makes

no im sticking with the original gear set along with the 3.68 final drive...as my car is not a daily i dont care to much about mpg :grin: But would like to know what the top speed would work out to be,im sure there is something on club gti.."off to have a look"

Let me know mate Im feeling lazy tonight :grin:

There you go.

see if it works?

edit...my shift is 7500rpm and my tyre size.

Pants cant get it to open! :(

Nice one! :clap: Thanks so much for that.

Well 3.68 final drive and a diesel 5th looks absolutely spot on for me 8)

Should make my car feel proper rapid after my cams and vsr go on.

Damn I should probably defo fit an LSD as well now :( LOL

should be the same bud,im also fitting a diff when i do this to try and keep it in a straight line! :cuckoo:

Yeah but you REALLY need one LOL :grin:

Think it will have to wait a while for me.

Bit of a shame cant get it done when I do my clutch/final drive but guess it can wait until I do my chains..........

I use the 3.68 diff and have been for years and it's a lot livlier than the stock gearing.

I would not fit a diesel 5th, the gap from 4th to 5th would be ridiculous and what's the point of having better acceleration from a shorter diff only to remove it again with a taller gear? :cuckoo: The whole idea of the 3.68 on a VR is remove that 5th gear @ 70mph lethargy and make it a bit livlier off the mark.

When I was cammed and schricked and type Rs used to tailgate me, I was always had to drop it down to 4th to get away. Then I went 3.68 and no more cog rowing, even naturally asp. With a turbo it's mental. 4th and 5th are sublime gears :D

But 1st to 3rd need, erm, care....

Top speed, forget those gear calculators, they don't take wind resistance and other factors into account. Take it from me, at 7000rpm with 17s, 145mph (sat nav verfified) is your lot.....and I didn't say that..... I wasn't here.....

I would not fit a diesel 5th, the gap from 4th to 5th would be ridiculous and what's the point of having better acceleration from a shorter diff only to remove it again with a taller gear? :cuckoo: The whole idea of the 3.68 on a VR is remove that 5th gear @ 70mph lethargy and make it a bit livlier off the mark.

Just when I thought I had made my mind up LOL

Im not really interested in great acceleration in 5th, I just want it to be able to have a nice 100 mph + cruise :grin:

Oh well guess I will fit the final drive and then if I feel I need it stick the diesel 5th in. After all that is pretty easy to change.

Cheers

Matt

LOL, leave it as it is then :lol:

Forgot to say, 4000rpm with the 3.68 gives you 90mph as opposed to 100mph with 3.39, and ~ 2-3mpg reduction in economy.

It's worth it though....

LOL, leave it as it is then :lol:

Forgot to say, 4000rpm with the 3.68 gives you 90mph as opposed to 100mph with 3.39, and ~ 2-3mpg reduction in economy.

It's worth it though....

It will probably do me good to slow down anyway. Dont really need any more points, now i have a clean liscence :grin: