Sign in to follow this  
Chris Langdon

gearbox oil for VR6 models

Went to my local TPS today to pick up some VAG gear box oil for the VR6, and they told me that the 1 litre bottles are now obsolute, they only do them in half litre bottle at £10.00 a bottle you need four, £40 quid for two litres of gear box oil!!!!! :cuckoo: come on VW have a word!! :nono:

can anybody recommend a good quality gear box oil for the VR6? i believe its 75/90w oil that goes in a VR

many thanks

chris

2 x quarts Redline MT90 from opie oils plus couple of stickers for £25.20 then use free postage discount code FREESHIP209 8)

Need to buy by tomorrow at midnight

Matt

can also recommend redline MT90- my o2A is smooth as silk now :D

make sure you loosen the filler hole cap first thou, dont wanna drain all your box oil out then not be able to put it back in again ;)

Is it easy to change the gearbox oil then? I doubt whether my gearbox oil has ever been changed and its starting to get a bit notchy.

yep its easy- 20 mins work

drive the car round the block for a bit to warm the gearbox oil up so it flows out easier

use a 17mm hex key/socket to loosen the filler plug (on front of gearbox about half way up) then undo the drain plug (under diff housing) and drain the oil into a suitable container, leave it and go have a cup of tea/beer/gin+tonic etc

come back and put the drain plug back in, and using a funnel with an extension tube (so you can poke the end in the filler hole) put 2 litres of oil in and do the plug back up, easy peesy :D

just make sure you dont make the noob mistake of filling it up via the flywheel timing inspection hole, cos that means new clutch time!