Sign in to follow this  
delfinis38

removal of damaged locking wheel nut's

Sorry mod's not sure where this should go as it's non VAG.

the previous owner of my daily driver has left me with one damaged locking wheel nut to remove Grrrrrr. It's one of those rather Cr@p pattern combinations that have been nicely rounded off. Any advice on the removal.... just done a bit off googling and found you can buy special lock nut removal tools but i can't see how they will actually work.

Ta... and ave a good weekend.....

Does the locking wheel nut tool look like a socket with a reverse thread in it? I bought some of these to get the mcguard locking nuts off, didnt have much luck with them tbh. If you wish to give them a try, let me know and ill post you them to try.

The best bet i'd say though is what 3CM said ^^^

i;ve seen many people just hammer a socket onto them

used this method a few times... got quite a few knackered 19mm sockets now :? :lol:

Worst case is to get a socket welded onto it!

I've PM'd you a suggestion though!

Thanks for both your Pm's.... I suppose the easier solution would be just to use the Rado more :lol: ... she passed her MOT this week too. Now that's a proper car.....

I'm considering making some sort of jig up to stop the socket jumping.... but i'm not intending to spend long at it before i give in :brickwall:

I've got a set of removal tool, it's basically a some big sockets with reversed thread tapered on the inside, so as to tighten it it actually locks then undoes the stud. Picked these up fairly cheap from GSF I think.

Or the hammer and socket method usually works :D

either reversed thread sockets, beat a standard socket onto the broken locking nut OR as i have had done a couple of times get a garage/engineers to weld a bolt onto the locking nut and then undo that.