Sign in to follow this  
andiG60

vr midrange?

having me sold my beautifuly rev happy g60 and moving to the big old boy under the impression that the fabeled vr unit would set me in good stead for some facial rearrangement power i have to conclude that im somewhat dissapointed.

im unsure if its in my head or not ,but the midrange speed seems , at the risk of sounding blunt, crap.

i understand the logistics of a heavier unit and all that ,and i got the car from an enthusiast with fvwsh and intrim oil change of fully synth every 4000 miles with the engine and mechanicals in good order, but last nite while minding my own business i had a little play with a rover coupe and it was all i could do to keep him at my bumper( i felt unclean and embarresed)

I have come to the conclusion that more power is required and it is this point i put to the forum for advice.

i have already fitted a 57i and once the expense of xmas is gone , a nice custom zaust, however i still feel more ooomph is required,maybe a chip? so any advice and suggestions would greatly be accepted!

merry xmas all

having me sold my beautifuly rev happy g60 and moving to the big old boy under the impression that the fabeled vr unit would set me in good stead for some facial rearrangement power i have to conclude that im somewhat dissapointed.

im unsure if its in my head or not ,but the midrange speed seems , at the risk of sounding blunt, crap.

i understand the logistics of a heavier unit and all that ,and i got the car from an enthusiast with fvwsh and intrim oil change of fully synth every 4000 miles with the engine and mechanicals in good order, but last nite while minding my own business i had a little play with a rover coupe and it was all i could do to keep him at my bumper( i felt unclean and embarresed)

I have come to the conclusion that more power is required and it is this point i put to the forum for advice.

i have already fitted a 57i and once the expense of xmas is gone , a nice custom zaust, however i still feel more ooomph is required,maybe a chip? so any advice and suggestions would greatly be accepted!

merry xmas all

Don't waste money on exhausts and filters, spend the money on getting it running right, first. Get it checked out on a diagnostic machine to make sure there aren't any sensors out because they have a big effect on the VR's performance.

If the Rover coupe was the turbo version, you wouldn't have pulled air between it and you anyway. Not even a 'rev happy' G60 can shake one of those off, in standard form at least.

K

The VR6 Mid range is pretty cr*p as the engine is pretty lazy and needs to be driven very hard to get the power out of it- this is one of the reasons why i got rid of mr VR6 and bought a G60 after id driven a freinds.

An induction kit will sound awesome on the VR6 but will add b*gger all bhp really and after a week you would of got used to it.

The VR6 responds well to being chipped,you ideally want to get an oil cooler at the same time as they run a fair bit hotter with a chip and you dont want to cook it! :shock:

You can supercharge the VR6 but this is quite costly - approx £3-£4k, you could turbo it but this way costs a huge amount of money as you need serious engine internals mods- £5k+.

Was your G60 standard? As that would have been much easier to tune and has huge amounts of mid range torque...

well that does actually make me feel a bit better. would you suggest taking it to vag and getting it on a machine there? down in south wales there dont seem to be many specalists, i think the closest is tsr! thats about 100miles away.

any views on chips? wondering if other vr owners have had them?

k, i will take your advice and it checked before spending cash, cheers

gringog60,

thanx for the info, my g60 had stage four and greeninduction kit with cam and flowed head. i loved that car. :cry:

Supercharging is a bit too heafty on the pocket, and turdo even more but your right about the induction kit, the noise is addictive! and i find myself driving it hard just manically grinning as the roar gets louder

cheers for the info on the oil cooler, if i go down that route of getting a chip i certainly will get one sorted. :)

Andi, you only need a cooler if the oil temp sits at 115-120 degrees whilst cruising on the motorway at 80ish. A good chipping place is AmD. One or two members have theirs chipped by AmD and have had good results, mainly at the bottom end with a smoother top end - And - better fuel economy.

And as for the VR being cr@p in the midrange.....have a look at the VR's in-gear acceleration times compared to a standard G60s.

K

the 57i will do nothing for ya power, I have a thread on here about it (well I hi-jacked it), and I was very disapointed with it performance wise, it sounds great, but if anything I lost power!!! :(

well that does actually make me feel a bit better. would you suggest taking it to vag and getting it on a machine there? down in south wales there dont seem to be many specalists, i think the closest is tsr! thats about 100miles away.

any views on chips? wondering if other vr owners have had them?

k, i will take your advice and it checked before spending cash, cheers

i have an AmD chip in mine...........ive had variable Dyno-plots with it tho.......from 194bhp to 189bhp :? :( :shock: ........though once you have had it done it makes the C pull a lot harder and its has got a noticable "on the road" difference to it.......but if you are wanting it just to say your C produces "x"-amount down the pub then its maybe worth getting a VSR and changing the cams too :wink:

You can always get the diagnostics done to make sure there are no errors reported or component failure.

Having owned a rover coupe turbo i can vouch that they are bloody fast cars and even faster when modified, mine was chipped/exhaust filter, they should she off a vr6 no problems untill its comes to the twisties!

This was a modified G60?

Comparing standard cars suggests that the VR makes more torque (what you actually feel driving the car - BHP is just a number obtained by multiplying how much torque is being made by how fast the engine was spinning at the time) from around 3300 - 6000+rpm than a G60 makes as a peak value.

There is a bit of a hole in the torque curve on the VR below 2500rpm though.

BTW, if anyone with a G60 fancies a VR*, I might have one to trade in the new year.

*VSR and decat pipe included if the spec looks good enough.

BTW, if anyone with a G60 fancies a VR*, I might have one to trade in the new year.

You'll have one of each engine type then, nice one :lol:

Kev

Well, I was looking for a G60 when I came across the VR...

Dr Mat - I'd also need to swap the bonnet* as they need to be "modified" to provide clearance.

*As it happens, just repainted.

you only need a cooler if the oil temp sits at 115-120 degrees whilst cruising on the motorway at 80ish.

Kev, been thinking of doing the oil cooler thing for a while (my car is always 115-122 at 80+) - what mocal parts are needed? Had a look at their website, and was completely bamboozled :? :roll:

Is it difficult to do? I'm bound to balls it up!

Cheers

You need a thermostatic sandwich plate, threaded extension, hoses and fittings and a 13 row oil cooler. These parts add up to about £150 from Thinkautomotive (mocal).

You need to find a position to mount the cooler infront of the radiator and the sandwich plate bolts onto the factory heat exchanger. Block-heat exchanger-sandwich plate-threaded extension-factory retaining plate.

I would say that if your VR is running it's oil at anything over 120 degrees at a constant 80 mph on the motorway there is something wrong! Either your oil is rubbish, your oil pump is weak, your oil heat exchanger is knackered or your coolant system is knackered.

Or you live in the Gobi Desert!!

FYI mine sits at 112/114 degrees at 80 mph.

If you spend significant time on the track with oil temps pushing 140 then you need an extra oil cooler. If not, save the cash and do 8 extra oil changes in the lifetime of the car with the money instead. This will probably provide more benefit anyway, IMHO.

Erm, Happy Christmas everyone, by the way... :)

And Mike, no worries, I'll get modifying! ;)

I would say that if your VR is running it's oil at anything over 120 degrees at a constant 80 mph on the motorway there is something wrong! Either your oil is rubbish, your oil pump is weak, your oil heat exchanger is knackered or your coolant system is knackered.

Hmmm, just what I wanted to hear :? :( I seem to be losing some coolant as well- have to top up weekly- can't find a leak anywhere though... :?

LOL, my oil reads 94 at 80 :lol: Cruising at 60-70 it sits at 90, a bit low to be honest but hey it is winter. BUT....oil consumption is zero because of it.

During the summer when we had that 30+ degree blaster of a day....it read 98 cruising at 90mph.....the mocal is awesome and in my humble opinion, a MUST on a VR6, even a standard one. Why VW fitted one to the cool running MK1 GTI and not the hot running VR6 is a mystery.

Somewhere in this now vast forum is a thread about my mocal and pics of where I installed it, in front of the radiator.

Space is V tight and I mean, very. Takes a lot of patience and trial fitments and I'm sorry to say the bumper needs to come off, but it's a good time to change the stat housing etc if it's leaking. Removal of the bumper opens up a whole new world of space :lol:

Personally, get Vince at Stealth to order you the bits and post to your house because he knows exactly what is required. Apparently the sandwich plate is custom made, so the price is nearer £180 all in.

One very important tip here. Do not use jubilee clips to secure the rubber hoses to the ends because they will cut the rubber. Just heat the hose with a hair dryer and push onto the barbed ends, that's all you need to do.

Kev

Cheers Kev,

Think I'll give it a go (when I get some spare time!!!). Sounds well worth the bother. Just hope it's none of the other probs mentioned - maybe I'll get them checked out first to be sure.

Firstly,

i came from a very quick Honda CRX and to be honest i was a little disappointed....at first.......but after a week of driving got back in my crx and it felt dead.... it was just a different type of speed...

Having said that, i am looking at a re-chip at AmD next year just to give that bit extra uummph.

Keyheywire.... i have looked for your pics of your oil cooler and all i found were links to a photo site that said the account was now closed??? could you post them up again? also do i have any chance of fitting an oil cooler bearing in mind i already have the air-con rad infront of my standard rad?!

thanks

Keyheywire.... i have looked for your pics of your oil cooler and all i found were links to a photo site that said the account was now closed??? could you post them up again? also do i have any chance of fitting an oil cooler bearing in mind i already have the air-con rad infront of my standard rad?!

thanks

OK, not a problem......attached as requested and showing it mounted in front of the rad.

I'm not too sure about the Air-con to be honest, I'll have to have a look at the car first to see where the rad is.

Cheers

Kev

If you think the VR6 feels lazy treat it to a Schrick VGI and a TURN2USA crank pulley. it'll pick up a hell of alot sharper then.

Best thing I ever bought was the 3.94 final drive, it makes the car feel much lighter.

Whats a Schrick VGI and what does it do, cost, etc?

What does the crank pulley do, cost etc?

and yes you guessed it, explain the final drive aswell please.

unless there is a nice easy search i can do to find a link on all these things??

ta