Sign in to follow this  
bigred

GOLF GTI 16V, FACTORY 2lt, ?????

Hi all, does any one know if vw even did this car, Mk 2 16v 2lt golf gti (190hp), been told only 7 made?, i now they did a 16v g60 model where the front windscreen was bonded in (or something like that) golf limited?, just wondered on this though all help greatly appreciated, cheers

Hi all, does any one know if vw even did this car, Mk 2 16v 2lt golf gti (190hp), been told only 7 made?, i now they did a 16v g60 model where the front windscreen was bonded in (or something like that) golf limited?, just wondered on this though all help greatly appreciated, cheers

depends what you mean? they probably did do it, but may not have released it, used to work for nissan r&d and saw a micra 2.0, 350z wit a supercharger, murano turbo, micra with 3.5v6 etc etc... but they never got released.

Its a fairly common thing to make 1.8's into 2.0's in golfs - seen it done lots of times so i'm sure if you were thinking about doing it ther'd be plenty of people who can offer advice :clap:

um the only mk2s with 2.0 16v as standard were in USA.

it is highly likely that someone has put a 2.0 9A from a corrado into your car, it maybe a 6A from a Audi or a ABF tall block from a mk3 based vw. The only way your car could be a 2.0 16v from new would be if it was a RE2000 conversion which isnt strictly a factory engine it was a VW approved conversion.

If its a RE2000 you might well have a inlet manifold that says BRM.

The conversion comprises:

Steel crankshaft of 92.8mm stroke,

Cylinder block specially machined with 82.5mm bore,

Lead-Indium heavy duty crankshaft bearings,

Alloy pistons with valve clearance cut-outs,

Gasflowed cylinder head,

Re-profiled inlet and exhaust valve throats,

Gasflowed inlet and exhaust manifold,

Selected valve springs,

Modified injection system.

good for 170hp!!!

Hope this helps

dave

um the only mk2s with 2.0 16v as standard were in USA.

it is highly likely that someone has put a 2.0 9A from a corrado into your car, it maybe a 6A from a Audi or a ABF tall block from a mk3 based vw. The only way your car could be a 2.0 16v from new would be if it was a RE2000 conversion which isnt strictly a factory engine it was a VW approved conversion.

If its a RE2000 you might well have a inlet manifold that says BRM.

The conversion comprises:

Steel crankshaft of 92.8mm stroke,

Cylinder block specially machined with 82.5mm bore,

Lead-Indium heavy duty crankshaft bearings,

Alloy pistons with valve clearance cut-outs,

Gasflowed cylinder head,

Re-profiled inlet and exhaust valve throats,

Gasflowed inlet and exhaust manifold,

Selected valve springs,

Modified injection system.

good for 170hp!!!

Hope this helps

dave

Thanks people. its not my car but i was wondering abought getting involed, check this link, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0392435660, what do you all think????, sound too good to be true?

Mmm ebay Waffle I'm afraid! VW UK never sold a MK2 2litre Valver!!! 2litre 16V motor was found in the Corrado and Passat GT's, plus various Audi's but never found it's way into a MK2!!!

Notice no engine shots??

I have sent a few messages about engine photos and numbers but no reply??, mmmmm, will have to get homes on the case :D

Any one else have any information?, or do you think the engine might be worth a look if it has 190 hp???

Seems odd that the guy hasn't given the spec of the engine. As he says...

im not going to rattle on about the spec coz if ur into golfs you know what your looking at.

Well, I think if you were into your Golfs, you'd know VW never did a 2.0 16v one :)

190bhp from a 2.0 isn't unheard of, but does require a fair amount of work being done to the engine to produce it, normally a professionally ported/polished head, aftermarket cams and exhaust manifold at the very very least...

That fact he uses "coz" and the "if your into Golfs you'd know" lines leads me to believe he doesnt know himself.

I think your right in one of he's message replies he said he was into bikes more, and no pictures of engine as his lap top has stoped working, a no brainer i think, cheers again to you all

and no pictures of engine as his lap top has stoped working

Does he use his lap top to take pictures and his camera to reply to emails? :lol:

VW did put a 2.0 16v in golfs and jettas.

Not in the UK, but US cars did get a 9A engine from 90 to 92, which was the end of the MK2 life in the states.

Nevertheless, of course this is not one of them, and there were plenty more than 7. but pleeenty.