Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Oh no, Haywire's at it again!

What resistor values are you playing with - the standard ones in the Hella unit?

Yep. Mine has an offboard resistor so I swap it out in a matter of minutes!

I fitted a Hella one to my C about 6 months back (just stuck to the inside of the taligate glass - not as neat as yours!) but the middle third has stopped working :-( - your mod might give me the incentive to rip it out, fix it and put it back in a bit neater ;-)

Is yours a bulb type or LED? I was warned about how unreliable Hella brake lights are when embarking on this project, but if mine goes belly up aswell, I'll just make up my own array of LEDs from Maplin instead. In fact, might do that anyway as I just needed the Hella unit for it's diffuser lense!

K

Is yours a bulb type or LED? I was warned about how unreliable Hella brake lights are when embarking on this project, but if mine goes belly up aswell, I'll just make up my own array of LEDs from Maplin instead. In fact, might do that anyway as I just needed the Hella unit for it's diffuser lense!

K

Mine's LED - and now it's gone completely hatstand!

The middle thrid is completely out, the two outer thirds, comprising of 4 or 5 LEDs each, light, but each LED at a different (Random!) brightness. Methinks it's full of dry joints or something... it's days are numbered :-) I too can see a trip to Maplins in the near future...

nice one kev. this is what i have been planning to do when i shave off the license plate light/third brake light (we get them in north america). i want clean lines on the back of the car, but i dont see why you'd want to delete a 3rd brake light and make it more likely to get hit from behind. there is now a proven solution for an interior 3rd light... and that install looks stock! very clean.

man wash your car lazy ass. ive been washing the rabbit, underneith mostly, every 4 or 5 days with all the salt the trucks dump on the road!!! aarrrrr

kevHaywire, I'm in the process of doing this at the moment, where did you run the cable for the light?

I'm hoping there is an easier way than feeding it through the c pillar!!!

Just had a thought, is there a cable already in the loom for the american cars that had the third brake light as standard?

I did this the other day bud. Kev drilled his but i didnt want holes in my metalwork. I bolted the light onto the 3inch thick bit of trim inside the car that finishes the roof lining, fed the wire under that accross and hid it under the rubber surround all the way down and out right next to the light cluster. Then just plugged it into the two standard spade connectors that are conveniently already there!!

Spent 2 hrs fannying around till i spotted those though!!

Can do picks now if you want, up to you. I love it, you dont know its there until it lights up! The way ive done i reckon you could crack the whole job in 30 mins tops

NickVR6, Excellent idea mate! Thats what i'll do, mount it to the trim you are talking about then hide the cable underneath the trim all the way to the cluster.

I reckon its an important mod for a lowered rado, i'd imagine in a van or an hgv you would struggle to see the standard brake lights especially up close.

Just need some daylight now!

Is it still reasonably bright from that distance away from the window?

ill do some quickies right now and do a blow by blow on friday as ive got the day off to sulk about my noisey engine!

Just done one of these myself. Nice and bright and not too difficult to do, definately worth it. Mounted it on the trim around the tailgate glass, drilled a small hole and fed the wire back into the car and down the c-pillar. Took about an hour to mount it up and a few evenings to make.

Yeah Nick mounted his in the roof whereas I put mine in the tailgate trim to get it higher up and closer to the glass.

I wasn't afraid to drill the car and you can't see it anyway. It's been there over 2 years now and not rusted or anything. Every single hella LED still works too :-) You often see high level lights with segments blown, but the hella strips seem coolio.....mind you I did uprate the ballast resistor though as the hella one was way too small.