Fanjita

1993 Dark Burgundy Pearl R32 290.8 BHP!

Righto, I'd best check what Mark has done with the loom. I have both the R32 aux pump and a quite new VR6 one so not really bothered about using either! It will be in the VR6 position though to save me having to fudge the pipe work.

While I'm on the subject, Kev did you ever look at those water temp sensors and think they're quite loose to be sealing with that pressure of coolant? They all still have the rubber o rings but they just seem to twist a tad too easy!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Huge disappointment today, found out the filter housing is shagged, either by my doing or by someones previous attempts. The thread is stripped on one of the sensor ports, as I'm so close to getting it running its time to ring vw and get a price *gulp*

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Marvellous! Looks like it was born there :D

I bought a new filter housing from VW and it wasn't as much as I thought it would be. Most of the newer VW parts prices are surprisingly cheap compared to hideously over priced Corrado bits.

Yeah the sensor does feel a little loose but it's fine!

Marvellous! Looks like it was born there :D

I bought a new filter housing from VW and it wasn't as much as I thought it would be. Most of the newer VW parts prices are surprisingly cheap compared to hideously over priced Corrado bits.

Yeah the sensor does feel a little loose but it's fine!

It's starting to look great isn't it! not as cool as yours though Kev :).

Does the flow direction on the oil cooler matter mate? I'm fiddling around with pipework at the moment and struggling to get the oem pipes I have to fit!

I have got one to work (came off the new engine) but the other side to the crack pipe there's nothing in my collection of pipes that will work, did you have this problem? It only became a problem when I twisted the oil cooler forward to give room to the vacuum solenoid and damper(?) box. It's more of a bugger that the crack pipe connector is much smaller! Gonna need two sizes of silicone hose and an adaptor im thinking?

I'm especially pleased with my hacking up of the old and new vacuum tubes for the brake servo to make a new oem looking setup, heat gun helped massively :)

Thanks Jacqui :)

You're too kind :D The only thing different about mine is the intake side of things, which anyone can do :D

I'll have a look at mine tonight mate as I can't remember off the top of my head regarding those hoses!

Great idea with the servo hose!

Well thats the second pedal tried and no go!

First tried a pedal I got from ebay (MKV said they pulled it from a 1.6 petrol but the pn correlates to 1.9/2.0 diesels). Next pedal ordered from VW was meant for a GTi, lot cheaper than the R32 one, still no response from the pedal engine wants to idle only.

So now I've bit the bullet, VW might refund me for the £60 gti pedal they will send it off first :bad-words: but this is increasingly frustrating! I hope it's not similar to the story in heristes build thread going on here...

So third pedal should arrive thursday and I'll be £100 lighter from that, lets just hope its the one!

Just had Mark on the phone, he talked me through testing the plug with a multimeter. All voltages are correct the plug is functioning as it should.

Now we just wait for the pedal!

Well pedal is working as expected now, the fusebox is an absolute mess! Considering getting an electrician in maybe to fit a new alarm at the same time. Does the fusebox normally struggle to sit properly after all this work? The pegs will sit in the hooks alright but when I attempt to push the top in to fit the clip, the whole thing pops out! Might be the relay (fuel pump?) sat on top of the fusebox, does it sit in the middle on everyone elses or does it go at one end?

I've also fitted the Can converter so rpm is now alive.

Decided it was about time I made something to go in the service history, so I whipped up a spreadsheet. It's actually quite impressive the work I've managed in the last 3 months!

Vehicle Mileage: 177,000

Parts/Work Mileage on part Manufacturer

2006 R32 engine 10,000 OEM

Steering rack 5,000 OEM

Track rod ends new OEM

ARB drop links new OEM

Custom loom new SWICT

Clutch & thrust bearing new Sachs

Lambda sensor x2 new Bosch

Thermostat housing new Unknown(GSF)

Can Bus converter new Canm8

Stainless manifold new Dubpower

Stainless decat new Dubpower

Alternator 10,000 OEM

PAS Rack 10,000 OEM

Spark plugs new NGK

Oil new Castrol

Coolant new OEM

R32 ECU unknown OEM

R32 pedal new OEM

Thermostat 10,000 OEM

PAS Fluid new OEM

Brake & clutch fluid & bleed (dot 5.1) new OEM

Gearbox fluid new OEM

Exhaust manifold gasket new OEM

Intake manifold gasket new OEM

Oil temperature sensor new OEM

Oil pressure switch (high) new OEM

Oil pressure switch (low) new OEM

R32 oil filter housing new OEM

Oil filter new OEM

Core plug new OEM

SAI relay dummy resistor new Maplin

Engine bay clean - -

Rust removal on front crossmember - -

Rust removal on front subframe - -

Accessory belt new OEM

Gearbox clean and fit new bushes on linkage - -

Work completed 01/05/2012 - 13/08/2012

Had the R32 on the rollers today, little bit low on power but I think I know why. Dyno print looks good though, torque where it should be and power is a decent line :cheers:

power002.jpg

20120817_165558.jpg

Edited by Fanjita

Yours felt quicker than 224hp to me mate!

You have the same issue as me in that the ECU is restricting the power because it's not happy about missing ancillery components / communications. But the fact you're only 20 odd hp down on standard goes to show what a good management system it is, in spite of the issues!

Not bad results. Mine was down on power too could this be the same reason as Kev mentioned?

But Im surprised the R32 hasnt got a lot of torque? Thats the same figure I got out of my 2.8 24v. 220 lbft

Yours felt quicker than 224hp to me mate!

You have the same issue as me in that the ECU is restricting the power because it's not happy about missing ancillery components / communications. But the fact you're only 20 odd hp down on standard goes to show what a good management system it is, in spite of the issues!

Yeah, I wonder what the solution is! I was expecting to be near OEM levels, this is a bit far short. I can't see anything blatantly obvious ( and I hope you'd agree) on vagcom or visually that would cause that much below par. Those problems with extra modules not being detected are present on every R32 conversion, I wonder how others got OEM power?

Would the air filter location bleed some HP too Kev? It's not exactly drawing all it's air from through the rad but it's close.

Not bad results. Mine was down on power too could this be the same reason as Kev mentioned?

But Im surprised the R32 hasnt got a lot of torque? Thats the same figure I got out of my 2.8 24v. 220 lbft

It should have mate, just my management is not giving it the full amount. Expected values are around 250 hp and lb/ft but as you can see mine has fallen short, investigation is under way, I hope it's something small (and not too expensive!)

I know mine is party due to having the air filter behind the radiator, although yours looks like its in a better position than mine.

My plan is to re locate the battery and exstend the air filter into that area with some form of cold air feed and something to section that little corner off from the engine bay (if that makes sense). I have all ready put a cold air feed in place and it seamed to make the car feel more responsive but dont know if it actually made a difference or if its all psychological .

Your air filter location isn't the cause of the power loss mate, but the smaller MAF isn't helping.

The problem with the R32 is you don't get any adaptations if some of the ancill components aren't connected and / or deleted from the ECU. Take mine for instance. It has a 5000rpm rev limit because the vehicle speed sensor hasn't been deleted, so the ECU doesn't know how fast the car is going, therefore it has to 'guess' some parts of the mapping.

Don't forget the R32's mapping is based on 'torque demand', so if it doesn't know how fast the car is going, or the angle of the steering wheel, or how much grip there is, it will limit the torque. You can feel it doing that on both of our cars. It simply closes the throttle. Proper nanny state! :D

Only a handful of R32 conversions are giving the full adaptations as if they were in a MK5. And most of those, afaik, are ones Stealth have done. Neither of ours are showing long term trims in VAG-COM and yours wasn't even giving any short term trims when I checked. I found on mine that the short term trims (lambda) don't work if the SAI solenoid isn't connected and it runs a bit rich. 0.9 lambda instead of 1. I guess that's a deliberate 'limp' mode.

I also have no VVT because the ECU can't see the exhaust cam, so mine is probably waaaaaaay down on power compared to yours!

Still, I'm not that bothered as it's in and working. Starts every morning for work and got me to cornwall and back, so it's at least reliable if nothing else. I'll get it sorted and will pass on anything I find out!

That sounds greeeeaaaat,!!!!

Thinking of pulling out my 4motion lump and getting a 3.2 to go in its place now..

Sounds amazing.

That sounds greeeeaaaat,!!!!

Thinking of pulling out my 4motion lump and getting a 3.2 to go in its place now..

You and me both mate ;) Although I am still thinking of a charger :geek: