Fanjita

1993 Dark Burgundy Pearl R32 290.8 BHP!

Well I've had some fun recently!

A small coolant leak turned into a serious puddle maker over the course of a few days, so we had to take a look. I knew the source of it, the elbow at the top of the radiator. We suspected the seal had gone and was just in need of re seating and securing down.

Elbow off we found this:

4530990004_20152b1945.jpg

Not the best thing to be confronted with, and we could only try to patch it or replace the whole rad. After a few quotes we decided the best option was to just replace the rad so it might not happen again.

4530989434_278a3fbb05.jpg

Went a bit crazy with hammerite and waxoyl cans, after I found the usual coating of rust along the bottom.

4530356743_8524d2ca7e.jpg

I used black hammerite on the beam underneath the radiator, as well as the fan assembly and mounting brackets. No pics of that unfortunately but it looks a lot better now.

Just got a lingering issue with the engine rattle, seems to be getting louder, I might need some help diagnosing what could be the cause of it though, videos to follow.

I love the wheels. I have a set on my mk4 4Mo and wondered how they would look on a Corrado. They suit it very well. Let's home the rattle isn't a sign that the chains need doing?

I love the wheels. I have a set on my mk4 4Mo and wondered how they would look on a Corrado. They suit it very well. Let's home the rattle isn't a sign that the chains need doing?

Thanks a lot :clap:

They are unfortunately tarnished quite badly now through age, so I've been looking at my options. Been toying with plenty of other types but I really like the way these look, I was just put off when they quoted me £450 to refurb :cuckoo:

I will approach some other places soon though so hopefully get it done for less.

I'm hoping it's not the chains but it's really pointing towards them based on what I've read, I will see if anyone can help me from a video or such like.

Hi guys,

Could do with a bit of help here, I have attached a video of the engine idling and ~2000 RPM. It is getting rather loud now, hopefully you can tell from the video how loud the rattling is. At around 2000 rpm it gets slightly louder, enough to hear bouncing off the walls as we go along.

Just wondering if anyone had any idea what could be causing the rattling before I start taking it to bits. On the overrun there isn't visible smoke, but definitely a smell of burnt oil when I slow down to a halt. I also have a whirring type noise on the accessory belt, hard to tell what it could be though (alternator, pas pump, water pump or tensioner?).

I hope someone can help diagnosing my problem, I was thinking of giving the engine a small overhaul over the summer (head, chains, maybe water & oil pumps?). I will probably get it compression tested first to make sure I'm not wasting my time on a badly worn block.

Anyway, all help welcome!

Jim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34250724@N02/4551679748/

Well what a can of worms I have opened!

I started off by buying a set of 288mm brakes from a chap on here, with new discs and pads. Then I decided I best replace all the relevant parts on the rear for a little refresher. Got a kit from a vw website which included wheel bearings, discs and pads. Brilliant I thought, just swap these over and the brakes should be a lot better!

I made a start on the rear only to find numerous bolts that were so tough I rounded them off, but thankfully the Irwins saved me :clap:

After I managed to get the whole lot apart, there was so much surface rust I decided to clean it all up before reassembling it. The disc shield crumbled as I worked, so I had to make an order to VW for bolts, washers, and now a pair of shields (assuming the other side would be the same).

A few sprays of hammerite later and the offside rear looked like this:

4619825914_75c5b08849.jpg

I then masked and sprayed the stub axle, and fitted it all back together after I re-tapped the threads on the beam for the carrier.

4619826584_b7a15842bb.jpg

Caliper cleaned, had to order new seals for it as the old ones were all shot too! So after a minor caliper refurb and paint, it all went back together to look like this:

4626035283_1240d397f8.jpg

4626035855_dcd44b6b00.jpg

One rear down, now onto the other, and then the fronts! Oh dear!

4626037549_8304331a96.jpg

This is where I'm at on the nearside rear:

4626036895_6c041e75d9.jpg

Just cleaned off all the rust, re-tapped the threads and now I'll give it all a quick coat of hammerite and get to work on the caliper.

Should be a lot better after all this, my handbrake was absolute pants, it would creak all the time and not actually hold it very well. I managed to torque up the wheelnuts on the side I just finished using only the handbrake, and it didn't slip or creak :). Might not be the same as having the full weight of the car to support but I thought it was a good sign :clap:

I think in bleeding it I introduced some air into the system through the master cylinder :mad2: ....I have just bought an Eezibleed kit though so hopefully this will sort it :D

All done :clap:

That was a lot of work!

Over the last 2 weeks I have fitted:

Wishbones

Ball joints

New brake pipe

288mm Brakes (calipers, new discs and new pads)

Stripped and rebuilt rear calipers

New rear discs, bearings, pads

Not to mention a lot of wire brushing, sanding and painting to kill rust

Some pics:

4650110932_f1886761c9.jpg

4649493139_463b5aeb6a.jpg

4626037287_dc9ec4735b.jpg

your motor looks sweet, good work too with all those jobs in two weeks.

where'd you get those ramps, could do with some of those myself!?

your motor looks sweet, good work too with all those jobs in two weeks.

where'd you get those ramps, could do with some of those myself!?

Thanks mate, I've been off for the 2 weeks though so I could work at it solidly :D

The ramps are from http://www.cjautos.org.uk/

Great bit of kit but they don't come cheap unfortunately, we collectively bought them as all the members of my family here can use them :grin:

Nice job mate, just doing mine next week, did you have tochange the front stone/disc guards to fit the 288mm discs, or did they fit with the original ones? Cheers Dan

Thanks buddy :)

As the discs are only 8 mm larger diameter I didn't bother I don't think anyone would advise changing them!

If they're 320 mm I believe there are larger shields for that.

Mightily chuffed right now!

Been home over christmas, and decided to have a look into the rattling issue (video earlier in my thread). Didn't want too much work, so I swapped out the tappets for new INA ones just for the sake of doing them, obviously not sure if this would quieten the engine or not.

Finished the job yesterday, very impressed with the results, purrs at idle now with no unhealthy rattles whatsoever!

Sounds fine to me . i have no headunit so the vr sound track is all i have lol. Good work goin on there , hope to be doin my wishbones n other bits soon .Love the ramps too .

sounds great - get a BMC on it and it'll be even better! Your car does look superb, fantastic vehicle.

sounds great - get a BMC on it and it'll be even better! Your car does look superb, fantastic vehicle.

It has a BMC on it mate! Just without the feed pipe.

Thanks a lot! :cheers:

Thought I would update, been a lot going on over the last few weeks.

New engine acquired 2 months ago, now preparing the car for R32 goodness.

Progress pics so far.

Front off

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65989[/ATTACH]

New beast

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65993[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65997[/ATTACH]

Emptiness

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66001[/ATTACH]

I have now unpicked all the wiring and its stretched out forward of the car, I am just deciding how to get this engine loom to integrate.

Much excitement!

The engine is in and very snug, now its onto plugging it all in. Got the dubpower manifold to go with it too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68244[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68245[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68246[/ATTACH]

Oooo didn't realise you had a DBP it seams to be the colour of choice to 24v :D

I have now unpicked all the wiring and its stretched out forward of the car, I am just deciding how to get this engine loom to integrate.

looking good dude! , check this thread out, http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?205887-OEM-management-wiring-1-8T-gt-Mk2-harness-install-FAQ

its for the 1.8t into mk2 but its still mk4 platform into ce2, i was also told awhile back that the wireing mods needed are prety much the same for the 24v,

Thanks bud!

Trouble is I wimped out and sent it to swict to be done! Plug and play then so I thought I'd put up with the cost.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Splendid sir :D

A couple of things.... 1) You'll need the yellow temp sender in your thermostat housing for the VR6 clocks and 2) have you purchased a CAN to rpm converter for the rev counter yet? ;)

Cheers kev :cheers:

I overlooked that then! I assumed it was just the two basic one....I need to keep the new style R32 one don't I? Isn't that how the ecu obtains engine temp info for things like open/closed loop as it warms up? Which sensor do I not need? Thankfully SWICT is doing the wiring haha!

No CAN bus yet, Mark did say its hit and miss even with ecu age, some do and some don't have the right output. He said I'd have to plug it in and see, only then would I know if I require a CAN converter.

You don't need the blue one fella :D Better to do that now whilst there's no water in it ;) The yellow sender also controls the fans, so you can leave all that in place. The R32 ECU drives the aux pump directly and the left most sensor in your housing is the one the ECU needs for water temp etc.

Good stuff on the can then :D