Sign in to follow this  
ben16v

Seized engine rado/freaky GF thread

hey all, ive just found a rado 1.8 16v the same as mine i can have but i fear the engine has seized, the car was driven to its resting place 2 weeks ago smoking like hell, and it has no oil in it, hence why i think it has seized.

however it is only up the road from me so am still going to collect it!

im not a total numpty but could do with some advice!

will jump starting it ie rolling down hill and letting the clutch go, force the pistons free or destroy the drivetrain!

how do you turn an engine over by hand to check? which bolt do you turn?

any thing else anyone can think of?

or do i just tow it?

I`m gonna try again tomorrow as i ran out of light tonight so any suggestions thanks in advance

ben

should add i only really want it for a spare car not to get running again, just thought itd be easier to drive away if possible as its in a bit of an awkward place to tow

remove the plugs and have a look at the state of them, to turn it over by hand you can get a socket on the big centre crank pulley bolt , should be very easy to turn with plugs out as you'll have no compression to fight against

oh, and turn the pulley clockwise, i.e. same direction cam belt turns in.

cheers,

like i said the car was driven there and ive seen it driving 2 weeks ago (horrible sight)

I did put some oil in but im assuming it will just fall to the pump and not go anywhere useful

I'd tow it rather than messing around where it is, but if the plugs are OK, it turns over OK with the plugs out and then gives some compression resistance when you try turning it with the plugs in, then it might be worth trying to run.

well i`ve got it home taken the plugs out and no 3 away from the cam belt is flattened - what will have caused this?

tried to turn the crank and its solid

have a look

i`ll prob be breaking it but as its exactly the same as mine - only other early one ive seen with 2 LCd displays - i`ll have to keep a lot of parts

i will make a post once i start the dismantling

ben

Probably a valve... My guess is that the timing is out or it dropped a valve which has been mashed around inside the cylinder... Head and block both forked.

forked oh well its gonna be broke then!! i`ll look forward to stripping it down anyways just to learn about my engine, strange thing is the owner was driving it until last week!

no i have

a standard G60 in inca with standard BBS which i`m looking after for a mate

my aqua 1.8 16v which (touch wood is ok)

and the new 1.8 16v in inca which is knackered

they are all J plate tho

also have a mk3 golf thats the missus` and until last week had a refurbed camper on there too haha the neighbours must think im mad, lucky i got a big drive

hmm what could i make outta these lol

I was once seeing a girl who was the same height as me (6'1") Awkward in bed, legs everywhere...

I was once seeing a girl who was the same height as me (6'1") Awkward in bed, legs everywhere...

How many legs did she have? :eek:

How many legs did she have? :eek:

4, just like all the other Llamas....

Nah, there was a running joke amongst my mates that she only had one leg though.

any pics?

:lol:

WAAAAaaaayy off topic.

actually bang on topic check the title

(she hasnt reallly got 3 toes - but i convinced my mate she had and he couldnt speak to her or even look at her )

my gf only has 3 toes

so she's a camel??

waiting for someone else to mention your missus camel toe :lol:

actually bang on topic check the title

(she hasnt reallly got 3 toes - but i convinced my mate she had and he couldnt speak to her or even look at her )

:lol:

nah nothing too far over the edge a camel is better looking

i`m gonna take apart the top end soon and see what it looks like inside

We've got a piston by the front door from the combine that dropped a valve. Couple of days, a new piston, valve and injector later and it was up and running again...

:lol: I take it combine engines aren't that high revving

astonished (nearly) how quick this thread descended into the gutter, made me chuckle though.

Ben, that's one well cared for Corrado :|

I need to find a scrapper, taking cars to bits is great :)

We've got a piston by the front door from the combine that dropped a valve. Couple of days, a new piston, valve and injector later and it was up and running again...

:lol: I take it combine engines aren't that high revving

:D Nah, probably 1800-2000 rpm.

Made a bit of noise and smoke when it went apparently. Had to tow it home backwards, on the road. :lol:

Luckily we had another combine at that point.