Sign in to follow this  
G-Lad

ABS light of Doooom!

So, last weekend i was whizzing along the autobahn, enjoying a bit of highspeed leap frog with an Audi, when (incidentally) my VR6 started to approach new heights of oil temp.

Background: I have had all of my coolant system checked, thermostat replaced, it has a recent new rad, and while the coolant very rarely goes over 90 now, the oil can quickly hit 110 at a 70mph cruise. When really pushed in a straight line it can hit 120, and always drops back to that if i go super sonic once i slow down. If anyone knows how there can be such a high heat differential, id love to know any theories! Im coming to the conclusion that one of gauges is lying, especially since i had the chains and clutch done recently, along with a very thorough check over from Steve Cresswell, who found nothing untoward.

So, at about 130mph (incidentally oil temp is now nudging 130 also), i hear an almighty "spong" noise and see the aforementioned ABS light of doom come on.

I promptly slow right down, pull off, and then cut the ignition. A friend totalled his VR6 due to faulty ABS not slowing him down safely, so im a bit paniced by the light coming on without warning at high speed.

Turning the engine over again, and the light is still on. I then remember the buyers guide advice and turn the engine over with my foot on the brake, and feel the reassuring pulse, afterwhich it goes out again and stays out for the rest of my journey of 200ish miles.

So, whats with the ABS light coming on like that then? Im new to such technology ;)

A bit off topic for this forum, but: Should i be more worried about my oil temp, and could the 2 issues be linked?

Thanks!

Chris

possible faulty sensor? unable to sense the abs ring at 130mph? LOL.......as long as it works now dude i'd leave it!

A decent full synthetic should be fine with those temps but if you’re regularly doing that I’d get a thermostatically controlled external oil cooler. Regardless of oil quality things expand when they get hot so you might want to do something to keep the temps down

Its probably just a wheel sensor. If the light comes on it indicates a fault and the abs system won't work. It shouldn't affect normal braking at all, it will just be like a car without ABS and can lock up in an emergency stop.

Off topic somewhat but.. I'm constantly surprised at peoples willingness to admit breaking the speed limit on public forums like this.. you've stated you did 130MPH which is nearly double the limit. Police and insurance companies do read forums like this... you might want to be a little more vague about such things!

Jim, I think the clue was:

autobahn :clap: :grin:

Indeed! I was in Germany.

A decent full synthetic should be fine with those temps but if you’re regularly doing that I’d get a thermostatically controlled external oil cooler. Regardless of oil quality things expand when they get hot so you might want to do something to keep the temps down

Thanks for the advice :)

I'm running 10w40 Synta Silver and seriously considering a Mocal, though before I do that I'm checking / swapping various obvious things on the cooling front. A new oil temp sensor is high on my list!

Its probably just a wheel sensor. If the light comes on it indicates a fault and the abs system won't work. It shouldn't affect normal braking at all, it will just be like a car without ABS and can lock up in an emergency stop.

My callipers are pretty manky and old, so I guess the sensors are pretty furred up. I'll be sure to keep an eye on them from here on.

I made sure I slowed down nice and gently, for fear of locking up. Touch wood, it hasnt happened since.

I too live in Germany, and I also get high oil temps, especially with the very hot weather we've been having.

Its not unusual for my oil temp to be over 100 degree's. Whats the score with fitting an oil cooler? Surely the VR6 engine already has one (I'm a mechanical biff, so excuse my questions!) Would it be an idea to replace the standard item first before I spend bucks on an external cooler? Also what about oil pressure with an external cooler, can that be a problem?

I'm running fully synthetic 5w/40 oil shizzle, would a change to 10w/40 help matters?

Cheers.