8vMatt

My Rado,VR6 Mystic Blue. Going VEGE diet....

Cars is looking great.

Hey are you interested in selling your old headlights at all?

Thanks for the comment, I'm very pleased with how its looking at the moment. Will be even better when the new wheels go on.

Sorry I'm keeping my old lights as they are as good a condition they can be, and it gives me the option to change back in the future if I want to. Thanks for your interest though.

Well finally got my ass into gear and finished off the polishing of the new wheels Overall time taken to do them wasn't too bad. I just had a long break in the middle of doing them

A couple were pretty corroded, so I decided to wet n dry them all back so they all start from the same position. First 800 grit then 1200 with hot soapy water. To get rid of any final scratches on them I used G3 compound on a sponge head fixed into my cordless drill. After the G3, I used Autosol polisher and finally had Autoglym Metal Polishing over that. Once finished I put 3 coats of Colinite Hard Wax on to protect them from the winter weather.

Not got any final finished pics yet as I put them on the car after it got dark. So I can get a few tomorrow. Now these have imperfections on them as they are not professional standard. I wanted to have a go at doing this myself as I've never tried before. I feel a sense of satisfaction from making them shine up from the starting position. So I'm very pleased with them, I'm sure people can pick fault at them but to me thats not the point of the exercise.

A few pics of things so far-

How I picked them up

IMG_0120-1.jpg

IMG_0121-1.jpg

Part way through being cleaned

IMG_0123-1.jpg

An after I've given it a bit of elbow shot

IMG_0127-1.jpg

I'll put some more pics up with them on the car tomorrow, IMO they really do suit the car down to the ground. Very simple lines that compliment the lines of the Corrado perfectly. :luvlove:

Thanks for the good comments guys.

Chris, nothing new to report. Just having a wait for my mate to do a few drawings of the brackets.

I didn't get a chance to take any pics in the daylight So of course I've got some really rubbish pics in the dark instead that you can't see sh1t :gag:

Anyway, here goes (sorry :cuckoo: )-

IMG_0183-1.jpg

IMG_0187-2.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0195-1.jpg

needs more lows :D :norty:

Oh no! Everywhere I go, I get told the same! Haha. I know exactly what you mean. It will be going lower next year. After new wheels, big brakes and general servicing items I've spent close to four figures in the last couple of months on the car. Best calm down for a while me thinks!

I dont bother will servicing, just low and wheels :lol: I just persuaded my mum to get some polished Comps for her Polo :grin:

thought i was looking at my car there! Great wheels and a very good effort. I use Belgom Alu on mine and have used it for teh past 2 years through the winter. Reallys helps keep corrosion at bay. I think Leon has got a bottle or so he's selling cheap.

Finally got a bit of time to take off a couple of engine plastics that were cracked and replace with good ones. At the same time I changed the HT leads for much better VW red ones, brightens the old place up a bit :nuts:

IMG_0205-1.jpg

After getting all the gen VW parts I've now been able to carryout a good service of the VR today.

Drained the old oil, replaced the oil filter after a little fight with big nut underneath (35mm) and filled back up with Synta oil.

Also changed over the fuel filter. Wow, its not been done for a good few years, seemed almost blocked. The trip computer is showing a good few mpg better straight away, could this really be a direct result from the change over?

The same journey- before the filter change 26.5mpg

- after filter change 28.9mpg

And just cruising along with not very much throttle shows 36-38mpg and before never over 28mpg :gag: Odd?

Last week had the gearbox oil changed. The old crappy oil came out looking very brown and gluppy, only about a litre came out. Put in the new VW oil, 2 litres. What a great difference that makes, the lever almost gets pulled into the next position, very smooth change.

All these maintenance jobs have really improved how the car behaves, I'm loving the VR even more now :clap:

Thanks James.

I've been really pleased with how the wheels turned out, especially as I've never done anything like it before.

Still not got round to fitting the shift light kit off you.

A mate has offered to help with some colour coding jobs so hopefully have some news on that soon.

Sometimes just simple housekeeping and improvement of a standard car is just as rewarding as modifications..

Improvement in fuel economy can often be a side effect of an oil change, especially if the oil was well past it!

You are right Jim, it did feel rewarding to get an improvement in the car from just maintenance. Thats good news on the fuel economy, I was always amazed when people were saying they were getting mid to high 30's mpg.

Just a few random shots of the car-

IMG_0208-1.jpg

IMG_0209-1.jpg

IMG_0210-1.jpg

IMG_0225-1.jpg

IMG_0226-1.jpg

lol matt what did we talk about today ............pics of half of cars lol :grin: just got mail back from guy into the rado...

lol matt what did we talk about today ............pics of half of cars lol :grin: just got mail back from guy into the rado...

Haha, the pics were taken before we spoke! At least you have both halves of the car there :norty:

Good work on the wheels mate, look better than the old ones, amazing what a bit of maintenance can do to a car isn't it?

Haha, the pics were taken before we spoke! At least you have both halves of the car there :norty:

I was wondering wether it was just my browser cutting of half the pictures or what, but now i now :lol:

Cheers fella's, I'm sure the wheels will need a little tlc after all this crap weather. Just hoping they stand up to it, looking good so far.

looking good matt

hows the brake project??

Hi Chris, how's you mate?

The brakes project is moving along nicely. Paid for and having the new discs sent at the weekend. The helpful chap designing the brackets has done me a computer drawing of them, I've made an oak bracket up to test. Maybe just a couple of light tweaks and they should be ready for production. Think I need to grind a sticky out bit off the hub next to one of the holes. Hopefully all be sorted in the near future.

How's your own brake project doing?