easypops

My VR6 and Storm

I did purchase mate, not from Glasgow though, the one on gumtree? This one is the cheaper one that was in the classifieds, got it trailered up. Needs a healthy amount of bodywork.......but it's a Storm and I'm delighted to have it 8)

Edited by easypops

Still planning to fix it, then I'll worry about the storm, can't really say now whether I'll keep both or just sell the twilight one, time will tell :)

So, I had a closer look at the Storm this weekend, and there are some scary rust issues, which I knew about from the seller, still, seeing it up close really gets you worried. I think if this wasn't a Storm it would be touch and go whether it would be fixed.

It's going to need drivers side door, wing, and a good bit of rot cut out and replaced on the back quarter including fuel cap area and arch and around the bumper guides.

Only bit of rot on the passenger side is a smallish hole I managed to poke at the bottom of rear arch.

Fuel cap/arch

C415712E-133B-4BEA-A863-8FE71A62A075.jpg

Door area

480EA7AD-B093-425F-ADB5-50E508EC1D48.jpg

Bumper guide area

A5648B19-B77E-43CC-96F5-328998D28DD9.jpg

N/S arch

A0D2CDFD-C4DC-45EC-9130-DF019640CE8F.jpg

Good news is I have a parts car here with solid metal in the right places and I have a welder that is coming to cut out all the bad stuff and weld in bits from the other car

7A67FF3C-11EF-4520-B845-AA7161E64100.jpg

0420F0BF-E75A-48A9-BB82-23D697763759.jpg

Next job is to remove the petrol tank and strip out part of the interior so the welder can get stuck in......all good fun :)

Edited by easypops

When is the guy coming to do the chopping mate?

Your place is like a Corrado hospital...

Either this Friday or next, I don't want to call him until I'm 100% ready, then there is the weather to consider as he'll need a dry day, which, as you know, is a lottery. There has been some comedy moments of pushing non running Corrados about recently :lol:

Removed the fuel tank tonight, hardly took any time as I'd taken one out of the breaker yesterday and it's amazing how quick you can go when you have just learned how to :).

It doesn't look too bad underneath at the back but I found more death on the drivers side sill .......not to worry though as I'd assumed it would be getting cut back quite far........maybe a little further now :lol:

Rear beam is fairly crusty and the brakes look well past it :)

Sill

30AE62E9-0F37-4FDC-BBAE-19568BD68AAD.jpg

Rear brake

6293A0E1-08C5-41E9-8FBD-1F6E4FFF76CA.jpg

Edited by easypops

Nah , a quick dust off and those brakes will be pucker lol . They do look a tad past it ! . I've just had a beam powdercoated , they do look so fresh when they are done .

Got a few more bits stripped off , plus found a couple of answers to why some things weren't working . Drivers door window must have been broken at some point as the window wasn't working, the mechanism wasn't even attached and no door membrane, might have something to do with the rusty mess it is now? No matter as it'll be getting swapped anyway. Tailgate was tough to lift, one bent lifter? Central locking has issues,and I found a nice bodge in there too :lol:

Door

48500679-D9D6-47AD-AF25-EB4A5468E0F0.jpg

Tailgate lifters

EB75E0BC-FD74-428A-B168-EFC5D8FA755E.jpg

Central locking-fuel cap

4FF88D78-B0AD-487E-B317-E4A6D5DB06B5.jpg

Speedlines off the bin?

Did the tank just come off for inspection or does it need to be off for the welding?

Speedlines off the bin?

Did the tank just come off for inspection or does it need to be off for the welding?

Speedlines still on the bin but will be removed before its final journey 8), the one against the wall is now the non bin :lol:

Tank off for the welding purposes, better safe than sorry. Welder was meant to come yesterday but he had car trouble so it'll be next week.

I also stripped the interior out so that'll give me a chance to give them a good clean/condition as they are pretty dirty :)

The welder arrived to cut out the rot and weld in the repair pieces, those easily upset should look away :lol:

1423C3CE-2A18-46E7-86A0-6404C180EDED.jpg

75DCF0C5-45EE-4FDB-BB60-631C5C03CC12_1.jpg

Only pics I have just now as I am working today so I had to skive out for a wee look :)

Ha ha ha, not really mate. Considering the state of it, I can't make it any worse.

Once the good metal is in place I can get it driving and get it a pre mot check etc and a quote to paint the side and bonnet, all will be well :)

Woah! Major surgery!

Would it not be easier to take the whole rear side quarter off for welding? Not that I know much when it comes to this sort of thing.

Love to see this kind of full restoration.

Wow - that's some pretty substantial rot. Kudos for getting stuck in and trying to save it though!

So, the rot was worse than was previously thought(if that's possible:lol:)inner arch rotten and some of the structural bits that I don't know the names of.

All rust now chopped out and good bits ready to weld in, the guy ran out of time today and will be back on Friday

Side

75285A84-858D-4F0A-919B-D492F923964E.jpg

Inner arch death

B7B81347-FB67-450A-80F9-CAF692CEFC56.jpg

Door/sill

F48112FF-A49E-431F-900B-FD977CA0D50D.jpg