Sign in to follow this  
Pat_McCrotch

Pat_McCrotchs' Classic Green VR6

:( Bloody cars, eh?

Brake pipes are funny buggers, I didn't have half the problems I was expecting with mine today. Sometimes I think you're either lucky or you're not.

Trying to bleed Dom's brakes on his old car involved me heavy-handidly snapping the nipple straight off. :oops:

Sounds like you made good progress on the interior and paintwork otherwise... :)

Trying to bleed Dom's brakes on his old car involved me heavy-handidly snapping the nipple straight off. :oops:

So how did the brake pipes go in the end...? :lol:

I'm going to occasionally lube up my nipples every few days for the next 3 weeks, then hopefully it should all come off in my hands :help:

Progress is currently painfully slow. However, completing each job one at a time is quite satisfying in it's own little way.

Earlier last week I had the car on a ramp and presumably where the car had been on axle stands having the chains done the underseal had been knocked and showed signs of peeling/surface rust. I made an attempt on the offside this afternoon...

However, there was a small nick in the underseal (near the jacking point but unrelated) that on first glance looked minor but concealed a nasty 2x2 inch rust gash that was holding a small pocket of water and had slowly been eating into the bodywork :eek: :( However, it's all treated now and primered and I just need to underseal. Hopefully I won't see anything that bad on the near side :gag:

The brakes are being overhauled this weekend and the rear axle bushes are also being done at the same time. The plan is to have it being a completely overhauled car from what people saw at Stoner Park :)

Total costs so far is around £650 so including the car we're at £2700. I could probably have got a minter VR6 for £3500 but this is more fun :)

...and it's about time I got some update photos but it's looking a little messy at the moment (covered in grease etc) so I'll do it on Sunday :)

Nice to hear you're getting on well... Been under mine tonight looking at the same sort of rust issues.... :(

Looking forwards to seeing a few pictures.

You still seem to be making steady progress fella

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh again sometime.

Well, what a day! :D

Started at 8am this morning with a Technician at work and by midday had done the following;

* 288mm Brake Setup (including fiddling with all the seized brake nuts etc :roll: ) and brake fluid change

* New Brake Compensator (the old one was seized and wasn't working at all!)

* Rear Axle Bushes

* OEM Middle and Centre Silencer

Not a bad mornings work :D

But the day got better! I popped into kevhaywires' to show off the new work and ended up doing;

* Fitting the new 50mil Splitter; to replace the 90mil one that someone had fitted to it. I love the 90mil look but was already fed up of the speedbumps, plus it had seen better days and was held on with Cable ties!! :lol:

* Applied new underseal on the front jacking points

* Removed rear bumper, removed loose underseal and treated any rust underneath. Re-applied underseal, primed, painted then Hammerite Wax Oiled every possible area. We then finished it off with same VAG Cavity wax in a few tight places to finish it off.

So, finally managed to get a decent days work on the car and it's finally all starting to come together :clap:

Pictures tomorrow :salute:

Big thanks goes out to 'my' Techie at work who works at the speed of sound and Kev for putting up with my poor mechanical skills :salute: :pale:

They are brand new discs and pads so I really need another 30 miles or so for bedding in to gauge how good they actually are. I had a really scary moment on my first heavy braking attempt from 70mph :eek: :lol: First impressions are good but I think the whole setup will come into it's own when I get the new rear discs and pads on :D

I immedeately felt the new rear axle bushes as soon as I drove away. The Technician showed me an old Bush; it was all soft, loose and torn in quite a few places...

Again, I haven't really given it any beans yet as I need to let new bits bed in, but it already feels much better :clap:

The Wax Oil stuff which Kev put on the rear panel/outer boot floor is fantastic stuff. I plan to do the whole bottom of the car in the next week or so. Should give me a good 2-3 years trouble free protection :grin:

Oh, and I may also possibly have the only Corrado in the world with a fully working Sunroof :tongue: as after replacing the seal and giving it a good lubing up with genuine white grease it's now working fine.

Big thanks goes out to 'my' Techie at work who works at the speed of sound

Yeah, Nick doesn't hang about does he - I've been seriously impressed with his work in the past!

People moan about dealer labour charges but it just goes to show how much more you can get done with the correct training and special tools on hand.

"Oh, and I may also possibly have the only Corrado in the world with a fully working Sunroof :tongue: as after replacing the seal and giving it a good lubing up with genuine white grease it's now working fine"

Pat,

My sunroof works fine also but the seal has seen better days - What sort of job was it to replace it?

Ian

Removed rear bumper, removed loose underseal and treated any rust underneath. Re-applied underseal, primed, painted then Hammerite Wax Oiled every possible area. We then finished it off with same VAG Cavity wax in a few tight places to finish it off.

I bet there are LOADS of Corrados out there with rotting rear ends. Just about every one I've looked at recently has peeling underseal aronud the rear arches!

All looking good Mr McCrotch, you definitely haven't been hanging about in getting it all sorted. Look forward to seeing this car at some point. :salute:

Kev's a good lad to know as I think he's done pretty much every job needed on a VR on his own and a couple of other peoples now!

The VR is looking very good Pat. Last time I saw you was at the Seat meet in Braintree, when you had just got your Ibiza. Since then I have sold my Corrado, and boought it back again, and got a Mk4 GTI too.

Hi Phil. Yeah I remember going for a ride in your 16v as I was considering buying it at the time. That was MANY moons ago though :lol:

Kev is a good lad; I sometimes feel like I'm taking the piss and feel embarrased asking for his help sometimes but he never seems to mind helping me :salute: I keep threatening to take him and his Mrs for a Pub Meal down the Fox and Hound one night as a thank you :grin: I'm trying to get my Garage to a similar standard that Kev has i.e. Tools where they should be and some space to actually work :lol:

Right, I've decided I've had enough of these poxy R888 tyres. They are noisy, flick every stone into your bodywork, have no grip whatsoever in anything other than warm/dry conditions and worse of all I feel they could be putting too much stress on the standard suspension setup. So i've got some new tyres on order to replace them and I've managed to sell the R888's for £50 which ain't too sad considering they only have 3mil's worth of tread left :) New tyres are costing me £200 fitted so not too sad and it'll also mean I can use the car as a daily driver rather than jumping in the R32 every time it spits with rain.

I also bought a new JVC radio today to replace the one I blew up earlier this month :lol: Nothing too fancy (CD Player with AUX-IN) but it compliments the dashboard lights really well (no gash blue lighting here).

MOT passed :D The only minor being the Track Control Arm bush on the near side. But I've got ball joints, arms, TT bushes and Eibach Anti Roll Bars to go on very soon anyway! 8) Then the car will hopefully be resprayed in September.

I'll get pictures up of progress so far but I think it deserves a good hard clean first :)

Very soon. Just need to clean it first. Once I get your interior in I'll get some more photos up of the car and what I've done :)

Oh and the ABS light is off. Another speed sensor gone :eek: :lol: