Kevin Bacon

How to make 1 key open all 4 locks - cheap!

Just got quoted £45 for a bag of them :(

anyone fancy a group buy? i got 2 handles to do...

Mate that's what i got quoted from VW too, £43 plus VAT for a "set". What they don't tell you is that they're only sheet metal pressings and worth PENNIES! Don't despair however, Kev is sending me some in the post, and i should have the locks changed this weekend.

If you can wait till next week or so then i can send you any tumblers i have left over in the post. :) I don't imagine ill need many of them as usually it's just a case of moving the existing ones around and maybe filing them down a bit with one or two extra tumblers.

If you PM me your details and ill let you know when I'm finished.

However, if your in a rush you might find a locksmith who can do the job for you if you give them the handles. Also some garages will do the same instead of charging the £50 for new tumblers they'll just ask for £10 for the 4-5 mins to change the locks. :lol:

lol, no rush... if you have any left would appreciate them being sent this way. let me know when your done and ill pm you my address

anyone know how to do the boot lock this way?

Same way... you need to open the boot, remove the plastic cowling and behind the lock you should see a small oval plate with a black plastic cylinder in the centre. In the centre of the cylinder is a pin holding in the locking mech. You just need to pull that pin out and the lock should slide out (keep the key in the lock to help you)

Im currently trying to do this mod at the moment but getting the pin out is proving to be a pain in the ASS :bad-words:

but once the barrels out it should be the same method as before with the tumblers :)

Im currently trying to do this mod at the moment but getting the pin out is proving to be a pain in the ASS :bad-words:

Isn't it just :lol: What Brainiac at VW thought that one up?!? :cuckoo:

I got a mate to press the boot lock button in whilst I tapped the pin out with a screwdriver and hammer :D Worked a charm!

The pin will more than likely fly off into the boot somewhere, or worse, on the floor, so keep your eyes peeled, or smother some grease around the lock to catch it as it comes out.

Getting it back in again.....that's more fun and games, but same drill!

but once the barrels out it should be the same method as before with the tumblers :)

Yep, exactly the same.

It's worth really greasing up the boot lock well (especially the tumblers and barrel) because they tend to sieze over time from excess dirt build up. The turbulence at the back of the car sucks road grime backwards onto itself!

It's worth really greasing up the boot lock well (especially the tumblers and barrel) because they tend to sieze over time from excess dirt build up. The turbulence at the back of the car sucks road grime backwards onto itself!

To right! i had to go in with a can of WD40 just to get the ignition key to push in!! I'm so used to having the wrong key and working central locking that i don't think i've used to the key in that lock since i got the car! :gag:

I like the pop open key my missus's Polo has (switchblade I think they're called?), it's the all you need to carry. Alarm fob and key in one. Pure Genius :luvlove:

Sorry, simple things like that impress me :lol:

I like the pop open key my missus's Polo has (switchblade I think they're called?), it's the all you need to carry. Alarm fob and key in one. Pure Genius :luvlove:

Sorry, simple things like that impress me :lol:

I know what you mean! My favourite part of my car is my key Chain!!! :lol:

V cool guide. Mine are all on one key, but need to do the same with my Karmann Ghia. I wonder if it''ll be as easy finding the spare tumblers

HOoray for my stealership (Preston) He looked in the back found a load of tumblers and gave them me free. Just need to do the passenger side but rain stopped play.

I will have some spare tumblers left over, free to a good home when I've done (plenty of number 1's!)

Anthony

I need to do 2 of these so this guide looks as if it might do the trick

How many tumblers are there in each barrel - 8??

Has anybody got any spares hanging around?

Looking for - roughly - as I'm not sure I've put together all the broken bits correctly:

6 threes

8 twos

2 fours

4 ones (or at least I think they are ones as they have no number on)

4 tumbler springs

And possibly one door barrel or a drivers side handle including a barrel

Before I head for the stealers or ebay let me know what ya got and what ya want

Cheers

Vaughan

HOoray for my stealership (Preston) He looked in the back found a load of tumblers and gave them me free. Just need to do the passenger side but rain stopped play.

I will have some spare tumblers left over, free to a good home when I've done (plenty of number 1's!)

Anthony

Don't suppose by any chance you've still got these?

Vaughan

Got to change my ignition barrel,which ive bought !

Thought i would retumble some spare locks i had kicking about,the first handle i did was the same as Kevs pic on page one, with seven tumblers ,the second one i done had TEN !!

three doubles where the same numbers,which was lucky, is the a later lock,or an early one ?

I did the glovebox as i had a spare lock, but the numbers on the tumblers were 7 and 8 !

Boot lock tomorrow, no spare this time :(

I haven't got the key for one of my doors i.e. I can only unlock it from the inside or with central locking.

Will the barrel still come out after I've taken the pin and circlip off, or will the "sticking out tumblers" keep it lodged in?

:confused4:

Cheers.

They will indeed. You need the key in it to retract the tumblers back into the barrel. Unless some seasoned lock pickers around here have a method? :lol:

They will indeed. You need the key in it to retract the tumblers back into the barrel. Unless some seasoned lock pickers around here have a method? :lol:

can you use a blank key? or will one or two tumblers sit proud?

Alternatively you can get a new handle that has NO tumblers in the barrel Like mine. You can have them if you give us the postage. They're Early style handles

With the older barrels you can sometimes get away with sticking a random old worn out key in it (has to be a VW one though), but the newer barrels have twice as many tumblers to make them more secure, and the chances of lucking out reduce significantly!

Alternatively you can get a new handle that has NO tumblers in the barrel Like mine. You can have them if you give us the postage. They're Early style handles

If these are still up for grabs I would like them please :)

I want 2 early ones to match my ignition key then I will simply put the replacement handles on the car.

My passenger side one also has a very weak/broken spring ie you pull the handle out but it doesn't return without a push

Darren

done all mine today :D

while swopping mine over today i noticed that i dont have 2 handles the same :confused4:

one has a raised lip around the barrel one doesnt, i take it there early and late changes?

only realised when one of the barrels wouldnt fit tryed other handle it did :confused4:

early and late barrels are NOT interchangable