Sign in to follow this  
blue95

Bonnet Vent or scoop?

first time i have seen kev "mr corrado" haywires engine bay actually... VERY NICE!!!!! :D

Didn't mean to hijack the thread btw!

would like to know more about your car mate, also some other pics...[/quote:1ttoqzwf]

It's a machine! But looks like a weed unless you look carefully and spot some fack off brakes under the wheels which makes you wonder! :lol:

i have been consiering this too.

Will be interested to see what you do.

Defo have to sort something out......too much not good!

Was looking at vagcat see the G60 came with the lower temp 90c thero time switch on the head (16v comes with 100c or 105c one). Does your fan stay on for longer after a spirited run? Wondered if its overkill if I fit the 90c one?

I'm still using the standard g60 thermo switch.

And no I don't think it runs the fan excessively long.I am running a larger VR rad though so the engine isn't getting overly hot.

still get a nice heat blast when you open the bonnet though.

rob_g60 I have to say that's not where i'd put a vent,but any venting has to be better than current setup.And you say the temps have improved so...

The temps on my fmic creep up in slow moving traffic more than i'd like(I wonder if the old g60 intercooler for all its faults suffered as much with heat soak).

Sorry blue95.Went ff on a tangent.

:lol:

Or, to get more air, how about another grill :lol:

My 'new install' smells took a good few weeks to fully go, and even now there's still the odd fuel vapour and general heat smells, 2 and a bit years on!

It never gets hot enough to cause alarm bells though.

Yeah the downpipe is lagged and that and my cobbled together heat shield seem to work quite nicely :D

Do you mean the screenwash jet hoses get soft? That will happen if the bulkhead weather seal is missing. I had that problem too, but put a new weather strip on and it's been fine since :D

My missus's standard 1.8T polo gets roasting too. I think it's just the VW mapping which is very very lean in the midrange and cruise, which keeps EGTs very high..... I run mine rich as feck, which runs the motor cooler :D

Ahhh OK...I'll carry on enjoying the smells then LOL - will check the weather seal asap aswell :D

Mine is running QPE setup, think it is setup to run rich aswell, tailpipe is allready coated in black soot. Which worries me LOL, worried about fuel and oil mixing, guess I'll just change to oil more often.

I'm still using the standard g60 thermo switch.

And no I don't think it runs the fan excessively long.I am running a larger VR rad though so the engine isn't getting overly hot.

still get a nice heat blast when you open the bonnet though.

rob_g60 I have to say that's not where i'd put a vent,but any venting has to be better than current setup.And you say the temps have improved so...

The temps on my fmic creep up in slow moving traffic more than i'd like(I wonder if the old g60 intercooler for all its faults suffered as much with heat soak).

Sorry blue95.Went ff on a tangent.

:lol:

Cool will give the G60 switch a go!

Also have a rallye rad and fmic in at the mo, have to admit the rallye fmic is great, inlet manifold is so cool, not so good on heatsoak from stationery tho. Wonder maybe why they gave the TT 2 coolers either side?

Looks good! too much feckin work! The lower vent does get alot of air in as well, as it lines up with the rad support which is angled to the fmic and rad.

Just a thought, have you lagged your downpipe etc? That would reduce your temps quite a lot.

Just a thought, have you lagged your downpipe etc? That would reduce your temps quite a lot.

No, was advised not to by the exhaust fitters, as excess heat can stress the stainless?

TBH alot of heat seems to be radiated by the manifold/turbo - did a touch test Doh!

first time i have seen kev "mr corrado" haywires engine bay actually... VERY NICE!!!!!

I was thinking that, always wondered exactly what the stealthy "94 VR6 turbo" signature actually amounted to, very impressive looking stuff

Get a thread going in the members gallery asap to end the intrigue :)

No, was advised not to by the exhaust fitters, as excess heat can stress the stainless?

TBH alot of heat seems to be radiated by the manifold/turbo - did a touch test Doh!

:D :D Get a turbo jacket on it, that should help a lot.

:D :D Get a turbo jacket on it, that should help a lot.

Gonna be a bitch to fit due to the natutre of how the turbo is hung under the manifold :(

that does look quite nice actually...

that got intercooler on the other side?

Nope, full length Golf G60 intercooler in front of the radiator, so both grills feed air into the intercooler and rad... Oil cooler is where the old intercooler was down in the passenger wheelarch.

Nope, full length Golf G60 intercooler in front of the radiator, so both grills feed air into the intercooler and rad... Oil cooler is where the old intercooler was down in the passenger wheelarch.

Sweet, to you had to do a lil re-jigging... looks sweet tho! :clap: :clap: ;)