Sign in to follow this  
Sonicriot13

G60 running cooler on V-Power?

Whilst I was out there I noticed the Germans have 'Shell V-Power Racing' too which is 100ron, good old UK getting the bum deal as usual :(

But if we had it, it would most likely cost about 1.50 a litre.

I'm intrigued now, I think next time I fill up I wil have to have a go on this V-power or tescos 99 stuff

Noticed a big difference between the two in my vRS. On Tesco 99, it was 3-5mpg down compared to V-power :shock: Tried Tesco for several weeks then back to V-power. Difference is very marked- car defo faster with V-Power as well. Won't be using Tesco again :lol:

Funny how with the whole fuel/air mix people get absolutely fixated on air but often forget the quality of fuel they put in.

All very well having cool dense air forced in, spot of NOS etc, but if the other half of the mixture is supermarket crap then it's got to have a pretty detrimental impact.

Never thought about it too much before, if I'm honest I dabble with a bit of the cheap stuff from time to time but not anymore.

Yeah im with sonic, i tend to avoid supermarket fuel, but not just because the dodgy batches they've had but i do notice the car seems to run better on the V-power but also for better mileage. Though i found Tesco fuel was worse the Sainsburys. Saying all that, id be willing to give the Tesco 99ron a try... maybe. How much is the Tesco 99ron per litre compared to the V-Power. Last time i filled up (week last sat) it was at 109.9 :(

Yeah im with sonic, i tend to avoid supermarket fuel, but not just because the dodgy batches they've had but i do notice the car seems to run better on the V-power but also for better mileage. Though i found Tesco fuel was worse the Sainsburys. Saying all that, id be willing to give the Tesco 99ron a try... maybe. How much is the Tesco 99ron per litre compared to the V-Power. Last time i filled up (week last sat) it was at 109.9 :(

Tesco was 104.9 last time I filled up.

Some info on Tesco stuff: http://www.greenergy.com/tesco_99_octane/index.html

Tesco was 104.9 last time I filled up.

Some info on Tesco stuff: http://www.greenergy.com/tesco_99_octane/index.html

Cheers matey! :D

Filled up with V-power on the weekend and looks promising so far. Didnt notice a big difference in the proformance but I've done 70 miles so far and the needle has harly moved :D

Noticed a big difference between the two in my vRS. On Tesco 99, it was 3-5mpg down compared to V-power :shock: Tried Tesco for several weeks then back to V-power. Difference is very marked- car defo faster with V-Power as well. Won't be using Tesco again :lol:

Some of that mpg loss is because of the Bioethanol in the Tesco fuel. You need to burn more of it to do the same job as petrol, but tbh, unless you can guarantee exactly the same conditions between each tank, comparisons like that are a little meaningless imo.

My VRT 'feels' faster on Tesco 99, but the overall difference between that and V power in terms of 'power' if you like, is so minute, it purely boils down to a matter of cost and convenience of refilling. Personally I hate sitting in Tescos with 1000s of other people just because it's 2p cheaper than Shell. The irony being they are burning away the savings they would make by sitting their with the engines running :lol:

So I only use Shell or BP, cause they're conveniently placed on major roads for some quick in and out action.

Getting all technical, higher octane fuel can indeed make the engine run cooler. RON only really comes into play when the engine is making peak torque and also at high rpms. The more ignition advance you can run at peak torque and at high rpm, the colder the exhaust gas temps will be and thusly the engine will be cooler as a whole. If you mostly fart around towns, there simply is no need for V power at all.

V power is strong in the midrange and top end, but is frustratingly the most inconsistent fuel I've ever used and I get through 2 tanks a week. Tesco 99 is the most consistent fuel I've used and if it wasn't for the reason I mentioned earlier, I would take that over V power any day. Ethanol runs cool, very cool and it's worth mentioning I've run 10% E85 in my tank it made a massive difference. To both engine temps and performance.

Going to try progressively stronger concentrations of E85 until I max my injectors out and report back :D

Ran a couple of tanks of v-power for comparison sake.

Car does not feel as lively as the tesco stuff and engine oil temps are higher :scratch: as much as 3C (average).

So far I've gotten more miles put of the tank on V-power but doesnt feel any different, going to try the tesco stuff when I fill up next