g0ldf1ng3r

g0ldf1ng3r's VR6

here you go Dox, and anyone else....

The first VR I should have bought was alpine white - went for a Golf VR6 instead...... I owned an alpine white 8V MK2 for 5 years before that

The first VR I should have bought was alpine white - went for a Golf VR6 instead...... I owned an alpine white 8V MK2 for 5 years before that

nice, was it a big bumper mk2?

i do love the valver in its whiteness :D

am toying with putting the Kamei front splitter on that is in the loft but id love to put the full kit on the VR really, however i dont know if it will have fitment issues as the kit is based on early dimensions

TCA.jpg

And the VR I replaced it with, should have kept the 8V

img029obscure.jpg

Edited by Dox

TCA.jpg

And the VR I replaced it with, should have kept the 8V

img029obscure.jpg

nice mk2 Dox!!

love the eybrow which accommodates the twin headlights too :D

nice mk2 Dox!!

love the eybrow which accommodates the twin headlights too :D

MK2 pic taken in 1999, the day I sold it, MK3 pic 2001, the day I partex'd it for a new MK4

i remembered to take the VR to work today & empty'ish car park upon arrival

couple of height pics including rear

Yeah the stance is looking good

thanks Spen

trying to decide whether to raise the front & if so how much due to some arch liner rubbing

How much was your Stealth rebuild back in the day? Mine's going in at the end of the month, chains, guides etc

How much was your Stealth rebuild back in the day? Mine's going in at the end of the month, chains, guides etc

have a read of the post i wrote about it on page to m8 http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?44751-g0ldf1ng3r-s-VR6-amp-1-8-16V/page2

as many do with older cars, once a fair few parts were replaced it highlighted weak links in the chain & those needed sorting too

as such the final number of parts replaced was quite a few more than originally thought, hence the bill was a fair bit steeper, but as you will see there were lots of parts

i cant recall the exact figure but it was a fair whallop lol & rather more than the original quote, around 3.5+K i think

if you want i can dig all the receipts out & PM you the full info

speaking of which, i really should dig out the RR map Vince gave me as the power curves he produced not only looked lovely on the graph but feel so much better underfoot.

it has the whap, whap, whap kind of fast rev sound like a powerful motor bike & now ive the Longlife SS on it oh my word the burbles & noises i can get it to make are just addictive!! lol

Spen - i see you have lupo wipers on yours

can i ask are they both driver side arms?

the gf's old lupo is going to the mechanics son to break & i am tempted to steal the wipers but not sure if worth it if i have to buy another arm

Nice one, i'll have a read of the thread when I get a chance...

Re; lupo wipers, I put TT's on mine but both the TT and Lupo do require two driver's side arms and blades, if using TT you have to do a mod to shorten one side of the blade, but the Lupo are a straight swop.

Nice one, i'll have a read of the thread when I get a chance...

Re; lupo wipers, I put TT's on mine but both the TT and Lupo do require two driver's side arms and blades, if using TT you have to do a mod to shorten one side of the blade, but the Lupo are a straight swop.

pleasure m8

reading it back myself id forgotten how many parts were changed lol

thanks for the wiper info, oh yes your sig says TT lol

i guess if i would at least only need to buy 1 wiper arm then, think i will grab them for a later date

Dox where are you? lol

whats your thoughts?

whats your thoughts Dox?

nice chat with a man about paint for the VR on the weekend :)

anyone know if rear side window rubbers are available?

had a week off work last week so took the bull by the horns & decided to get on with some of the work on the VR

matrix first - started early on monday & by lunch i had most of the interior out & laid across my dining room table & workshop benches

all went rather well, having done the valver's a while ago made doing the VR easier though i still struggled again to find the hidden screw holding the dash in lol

unfortunately i was beaten by the very last thing to be undone, despite applying wd40 for a few days prior to starting the work the bottom nut holding the air box to the bulk head refused to budge & instead cause the captive bolt to spin

queue 2 odd hours of trying to wrestle the fecker out with no joy

fortunately my mechanic came to my rescue but 2 days later so i used the interim time to do a more thorough job

i tidied the loose wiring up & taped where some of the foam wraps had disintegrated & then relined both the hot/cold mix & directional flaps in the air box - thank you kindly to the person who sent me the sticky backed felt for free!!! (user name escapes me at the mo)

i relined the air box flaps in situ, which was a little tricky applying the new felt but wasnt too bad - getting the god dam back liner off the felt was the most frustrating bit lol

I also started on the front seat refurb with the gliptone stuff, 3 washes in on the drivers seat & the clean water in the bucket (changed each wash) was still coming out dirty. i had misplaced the make-up sponges for applying the conditioner & colour so paused that job there TBC this week

I am also hoping to drop the drivers seat into where the mrs had her headliner done a while ago with view to them swapping the right hand bolster for the replacement i have as on inspection it looks a bit to complicated for me to attempt

as it transpired both of the air box bolts had come free from their plastic housing so a quick trip to the local motor factors & epoxy resin in hand i repaired them

am pleased to say the mk3 golf matrix dropped straight in & was indeed the correct fit :D

i then used saturday to start putting it all back together having cleaned everything & made my own new gaskets to help the air system seal using door draft excluder tape

i ran out of energy at the point everything was done with exception of actually connecting up the feed & return hoses to the new matrix

TBC on the weekend i think

i have a feeling i may have broken my solar trickle charger by trying to start the car with it still connected so whilst i was in the motor factors i used my staff rate to get one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Battery-Charger-Maintainer-Batteries/dp/B00DW6RHN2 to get some decent charge into the VR battery & then also to be used in winter when it is off the road more this year even thougn i will have heat this time lol

Kudos to you mate that is a big job you under took there to be honest that is a nasty job to take on, as you never know what your going to uncover. I took the easy route and paid the man with the spanners when replacing my matrix. :) :D

Good work GF!

I think I have this to look forward to... I ran the car up to get it warm and I did indeed have warm air blowing through the car, but the rest of the water system was more like a strainer so it didn't get to working pressure... but my car is currently in a gazzilion bits so I can just add the matrix to the list :(

thanks people :)

it is not that bad a job, honestly lol

just takes time, patience & a few scraped knuckles lol

am going to tackle the valver's over a few evenings i think as thanks to the gf i have a 2nd set of labels & envelopes to make things easier :)

thanks people :)

it is not that bad a job, honestly lol

just takes time, patience & a few scraped knuckles lol

am going to tackle the valver's over a few evenings i think as thanks to the gf i have a 2nd set of labels & envelopes to make things easier :)

Great work goldfinger, I hope I haven't got this to do as my interior is now mint.........I bet it coming soon

About time you got on with those seats lol. It was your next job to do when I joined over 2 years ago.

ha ha ha indeed it is m8!

unfortunately the job order changes regularly depending on if anything screams lol