Sign in to follow this  
stoph-16v

URGENT HELP NEEDED!!! CO2 emissions MOT fail!!!!!

Hi,

I have the 2.0 16v, and it is currently at the garage being MOT'd. Unfortunately it has failed the MOT on CO2 emissions, being 2.0 instead of 0.5.

How can I adjust this? Is'nt it all ECU controlled? Could this mean my lamda sensor is on it's way out?

Please help asap, so I can get the garage to do it and save the retest fee!

Cheers guys!

Chris

It should be kept in check by the ECU and the lambda probe. However there could be other reasons for it being high.

Do you do lots of short journeys? It could be fuel in the oil which is being burnt via the breather system giving an artificially high reading. When did you last have an oil change?

A bad full throttle switch on the Throttle body may prevent the ECU from controlling the mixture at tickover??

I would expect you to be complaining of poor fuel consumption too if the probe was duff.

Did they try anything to help you get it thru? Revving the engine?

Gavin

Like Gavin said if you dont open up once in a while alot of crud builds up in the exhuast

the best time to do a MOT is after a good trashing as that will clear out your pipes

If the car was over fueling it would run very badly

Also the fuel is controled by a very small hex key in your metering head which the garage shoudl be able to adjust without probs

Also the fuel is controled by a very small hex key in your metering head which the garage shoudl be able to adjust without probs[/quote

Unfortunately Alex, There is no mixture adjustment on the 9A. Its all in the ECU.

A good thrash is a top idea.

If its the only thing it fails on, it would be a tight testing station that would charge for a retest IMHO. The place I go certainly doesn't do that even though they can!

Gvain

Cheers guys.

Actually, the fuel consumption has been a bit suspect over the last few weeks or so. Just haven't been getting the same miles from a tank I usually would!

The guy said that the running CO2 level was excellent for the cars age and mileage, but that the idle CO2 level is the one that is out.

I do also do alot of short journeys (I work about 2 miles away from home). The car does seem to "splutter" a bit when starting from cold, I'd just put this down to the weather though.

Hello Gavin

unless my mate 9A is different to all other they do have the small hex screw just infront of the airflap as ive adjusted his as i have the speacial tool same as on the KR engines

I also know the brain on the 9A also does control the fueling

Also a ECU reset would be good

Have you changed spark plugs as alot of mates have had probs with park plugs this winter which is very weird

To be fair, the car could do with an oil change and service, I haven't done one since I had it (6 months ago).

Is Redex worth a look to help clean some of the s**t out?

to tell u the truth

NO

lol

ur better of spend have a saturday taking your fuelsystem/idel system apart and cleaning everything up with injector/carb cleaner and ull find the car will run better

just my 2p's worth

redex will just losen crb in ur tank which will block up ur filters etc not good

Hello

I could be completely wrong as I'm not mechanicaly minded but my C has just failed on emissions as well and this was caused by a faulty air flow meter. Solution buy a new one - only £400 from V dub!!! Got one from a scrapped Passat for £50 and this should solve the problem eventualy... just having trouble with the monkey at the yard not sending all the right bits :roll:

But like I said this may be a different problem all together - hope you get it sorted quickly, my C has been off the road for over 10 weeks now and I've pretty much forgotten what it's like to drive :(

air flow meter???

do u mean the metering head??? its like a bild spade with a massive flap at the top that moves up ??

also they tend not to fail its just crap build up inside them and they dont work as well hence why i said a good old clean with injector/carb cleaners and they work like new :)

Well I gotta pick the car up at 5, I'll take it out for a good thrash, then take it back and see what it reads.

If it still fails, I'll strip and clean the injection system at the weekend and see how it goes then.

I must say though, as a rule the car has been sound, no problems (apart from the fecking door handles breaking!!!).

Cheers for the help guys! ;)

by the sounds of it a good thrash will help..if you havent serviced it for a while consider an oil change,air filter and new plugs

if you only do short journeys to work its worth taking her for a long run once in while

Well, I went to pick it up, and the guy had managed to get it thru. Apparently, he cleaned a few hoses out, and hey presto! Result! :D

Cheers for the help guys! We all know for next time now! ;)

air flow meter???

do u mean the metering head??? its like a bild spade with a massive flap at the top that moves up ??

:)

air flow meter is the big round flap that the air passes through

the metering head is the bit the fuel pipes screw into

both individual parts on the same assembly.