Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

5th Gear last night - PittStop Idea=Genius!

Anybody else watch 5th Gear last night?

Watched the PittStop feature and thought, "why hasn't anyone thought of this before!"

Think it was about £25 an hour for the use of a full ramp and tools. :shock: :salute:

Anybody else watch 5th Gear last night?

Watched the PittStop feature and thought, "why hasn't anyone thought of this before!"

Think it was about £25 an hour for the use of a full ramp and tools. :shock: :salute:

we had a similar idea up here in Aberdeen about 2/3 years ago,lasted all of 6months IIRC,

A friend of mine and I were going to start up a company doind exactly that, and run courses to generate more income, but the set up costs involved and the insurance was huge we just couldn't make the business model look good enough, but I'm glad someone has made it work, hopefully they will put one up here!! :D

i pesonilly do all my on work and have all tools and a hanger up the farm but thing is thoug for 25 an hour, yeah its clean but surely for that money you may as well just take car to a garage, or just do it on you driveway (or mates) its good if you have the money as it looks like a very nice place to work on the car, but most people without the tools dont have the no-how to do the job? or just try a few garages and im sure they would be happy to rent you a ramp?

same as kipvr i investgated this idea couple of years ago, but dad (ex dealer) talked me out of it. in addition to initial capital outlay, ensuring the tools didn't go walk about and that every chav didn't squash their mates under a ramp or electrocute themselves meant supervision costs were HIGH :(

Thing is mechanics are (mostly) professionaly trained people. It would be a bit like renting out a surgical ward to members of the public. A garage is a dangerous place. Lots of heavy things, poisonous things, and tools that can kill you if used incorrectly or abused.

Great idea but as above with Liability insurance nowadays it's never going to be viable as a business...

Motor club maybe?