Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged

Impressive Radiator Bendage...

As some of you will know from the weekend, Bill Brockbank's (Badger5s) Ibiza had a bit of a failure in the headgasket department when going round the track at Coombe...

Check these out though - genuine original VW rad and exp bottle and no hoses blew off under cylinder pressure - amazing really although not sure if this is meant to happen or not?

Should it pop a core plug or hose or is it meant to stay fluid tight?

impressive pictures :D from safety perspective i'd say it's designed to stay tight though

That is quite cool.

Seen a radiator from a Rover 25 like that too.

Imagine if you had your head under the bonnet and it popped, like what happened with PeteGriff...

That is indeed impressive! The pistons are effectively pressurising the cooling system. It is amazing everything held together. if the hoses were old - the chances are they would have blown first!

It's more the mental turbo boost he runs that was filling the water system and no, that shouldn't have happened, the expansion tank cap should have vented off the excess pressure long before the rad buckled.

I thought the thread title was radiatior bondage :(

I have nothing to add in that case.

Edit: After looking through Google for a bit, I might be able to offer advice if anyone's interested.

It's more the mental turbo boost he runs that was filling the water system and no, that shouldn't have happened, the expansion tank cap should have vented off the excess pressure long before the rad buckled.

It should have but then the radiator cap is only designed to vent excess pressure build up that occurs as part of high water temps, it's not designed to cope with a large wedge of compressed engine fuel/air mix coming into the system. It may well have been a fully open rad cap and still managed to make that much of a mess.