Sign in to follow this  
VRSICK

URGENT....Sprayed RED REARS but indicators flashing red..??

I have recently sprayed my rear lights all red and they look great HOWEVER, the indicators are flashing RED (obviously) and i have my MOT due soon :(

How can i get them to flash AMBER??

Somebody please help........MOT due soon.

Thanks

Well i dont know, i have read that somewhere but i personally dont think it will flash Amber :?

there are 3 real options.

1, when you tint the lights, leave spaces in the tint over the indicator section.

2, swap your lights at MOT time.

3, have a 'friendly' MOT tester.

HTH

I wish i could get a friendly MOT Tester :)

I really dont have the time to buy standard lights and swap them over. I want them to flash Orange, not only for the MOT but for my personal preference too.

Mario - do they work ok in the daytime?? I tried some LED bulbs a few years ago (not like that though) and they weren't good but thoese look the business!

yes these look the dogs danglys, you solder them in and then do you cut the cable and add the resistor??

Indeed they do supercharged

The trick is just finding the brightest bastards you can.

If you get those "tower" ones, they light up the entire internal section of the light which ends up bouncing into the lens and out.

Hey presto - incredibly bright led indicators, even when it's sunny.

If truth be told, I purchased these BECAUSE I had an issue with my other LED ones not showing up at all in bright sun, as you mentioned.

If you get decent bulbs, you'll get great results.

No soldering on the bulbs needed, just get bayonet cap.

-

Yes, buy amber ones.

-

You must also buy the resistor to solder on due to the low voltage (as discussed in the linked threads)

EBAY LINK - These are the items that I have (I think - please check this first)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2pcs-382-Refractor-30-SMD-LED-Amber-Indicator-Bulbs_W0QQitemZ200368416976QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2ea6e368d0&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

1157_30led6.jpg

Really good seller too!

Then buy the resistor and do this:

led004kc5.jpg

actuly...these are diff resistors to what i used. not sure if solderin is required or not :confused4: should work though :scratch:

you can also crimp spade connectors on to the resistor and plug them in on the back of the light board. I can put a pic up of mine if it helps anyone. Saves soldering and is an easy swap back to standard if required.

Ah! Nice Idea Zak,

Can you get a pic up sometime, as that'd probably make it a lot easier for a lot of people.

We really should write a new guide!

you can also crimp spade connectors on to the resistor and plug them in on the back of the light board. I can put a pic up of mine if it helps anyone. Saves soldering and is an easy swap back to standard if required.

yes please post a pic, i am just about to order the bulbs and resistors off the previous thread mentioned, not ebay?? the ones in the pic, are they the ones your using zak??

I used Mariojoshi's thread for reference when i bought mine, They flash 100% amber but imo mine arent great in bright sunlight. This may be down to the fact that im using overlays as opposed to tint spray. But still so much better than the indicators flashing red. I'll get a pic up of my resistor installation tommorow. Regardless Its pretty easy to work out when you are looking at the board as you can trace the wiring tracks.

as zak says no need to do any soldering or cutting to use the resistors. Handily the back of the bulb holder has spade connectors on so you crimp some connectors on to your resitors and they then become a push fit into the back (very easy to work out which connectors to use - just trace round the tracks)

one thing to consider though is where you let the resistor come to rest. they get VERY hot when in use - they are trying to dissipate 25W! so make sure they don't come to rest on anything which might melt (carpet, plastic, other wires etc etc)

Zak & Borarob- cheers, good advice! Any pics would be appreciated ;)

To the OP- mine are painted green and work pretty well, although not great in bright conditions. I'll defo get some LEDs in there, but the green option is cheap and takes a couple of mins with some glass paint (like Supercharged says- model/hobby shops sell it). I just pulled the bulb holders out and painted them in situ- so easy!

Peeps, i have just tried the GREEN bulbs and they still flash RED....!! Aaaaargh!!

Id like to try the LED Bulbs now but i dont know HOW or wetha they would fit on my rear lights as i have the crystal clear rears which i sprayed red and anybody who has the crystals will know that they dont have the whole bulb unit (like the standard rears) at the back of them, its only bulb holders which u twist into at the back of the light :scratch:

How would i do it..??

ah, in that case you will need to cut some wires. Though if you some splice connectors you don't actually need to cut anything just lay the wires in and close the clip - job done.

another mark down for green bulbs - they just aren't bright enough IMO - LED all the way.