Sign in to follow this  
mariojoshi

I just went to see THIS (BMW content...) Selling my C?

Well..

I've always wanted one since I was taken for a ride in my mates dad's 840 when I was about.... 8 years old?!

Been thinking about it more and more recently and thought - I'll go and see one - maybe I'll discount it completely or maybe I'll fall in love.

Well, I thought this one would be a total dog, so I wouldn't have to worry about actually contemplating buying it...

Mistake. It was in pretty good nick! Not the best, and not commanding the best price a mint one would, but maybe that makes it more attainable.

Fast in an EPIC sorta way, but unbelievably smooth. Do 120mph and it feels like 40. Good? well..... possibly!

Added to this, it has an incredible array of toys... (to go wrong) including memory seats, an electric rear sunblind, 4 wheel active steering etc!

So

5.6L V12 produced by the M division of BMW

0-60 in under 6 seconds...

Amazing design with a silly low drag co-ef

An iconic car and rare, which is virtually an M8 (a detuned version, to be fair)

Thoughts??

cycled past one in the week, had my head turned round soo far i nearly crashed :D

awesome motors, mate in devon had one - maintenance costs were rather high!

Well, for context:

Firstly I'd need a bridging loan, so would have to get that and then sell the C

Secondly, I'd need fully comp quotes from my usual insurers - I know I can insure it TPFT

Thirdly - this would only be a weekend play car, I've got a company motor for a daily ;)

I love those CSi's 8) 8)

From what I've heard you'll need most of the contents of a Swiss bank to actually keep it on the road though.

I'd simply love to own one of these, however the Corrado seems to be costing me about almost 200 Euros per month at the moment, so I can only imagine the utterly spastic running costs of such a car would make me think twice, let alone the wife!

Do it bro, worthy replacement for the Rado i reckon. Got a similar oldschoolish look too so uber cool!! :D

Absolutely beautiful.. but I wouldn't ever want a major service bill for one from BMW. I'd imagine you could regularly walk away with £1,000 - £2,000 bills each time you went frankly!

I'd have one in a heartbeat though :)

stay well clear of the 850's mate, they are mega expensive on parts/fuel as some of the parts on the 850's are purely made for them so bm charge mega money for them.

get the 840 with the 4.4v8 engine as they are nearly as fast and are much cheaper to run. and yes this is from the voice of experience.

this one looks like a good one http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... RegLetter=

I think an auto box in a car like that would drive me insane! (pity 99% of 8-series are autos)

stay well clear of the 850's mate, they are mega expensive on parts/fuel as some of the parts on the 850's are purely made for them so bm charge mega money for them.

get the 840 with the 4.4v8 engine as they are nearly as fast and are much cheaper to run. and yes this is from the voice of experience.

this one looks like a good one http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... RegLetter=

These are very very wise words. V12 engines are a serious money pit and not anywhere near as reliable as the V8's. Neglible smoothness/power over the V8 as well. If you can find a good one however, it is a slice of retro cool.

I really wanted one of these before i bought the VR but there's hardly any manuals about :( the insurance (on the v8) was cheaper than the VR :shrug:

Looks nice but iif it starts costing £££££££££££ the novelty will quickly wear off.

oooo used to be a bmw tech the 5 litre v12 is one off if not the best way to burn money mate :brickwall: try to find an 840 nearly as fast but sooooooooo reliable :D

I think some of you might have missed the CSI bit?! The 5.6L V12 is defo quicker than the 4.4L V8!

Anyhow, the reason I wanted that one, is that it's the ultimate 8 series, much like I think the VR6 is the ultimate Corrado!

I've been pondering over this today and have decided:

A) I drove the rado pretty hard today and it had me smiling all the way -

Popping a flame on gearchange through a tunnel earlier had me and the mrs in stitches.

B) I would lose my license instantly in the Bimmer

C) It's not raw enough to be a weekend plaything, as my rado is.

D) The rado is now definitely going to get the supercharger fitted and is going to get a fair bit of cash spent on her. Going to keep her for a while longer.

E) I will have an 8 series one day :)

didnt miss the CSI bit Josh, just informing you that the 5.6l v12 is a potential nightmare and trust me the 4.4v8 is not that much slower, and its also a much better engine.

put it this way you can buy a brand new 4.4 v8 engine from BMW for 1K, thats because they have loads of spare engines that they were hoping to sell to people whos 4.4v8's blew up, but it never happened so they have loads of the engines just sat there.

I think some of you might have missed the CSI bit?! The 5.6L V12 is defo quicker than the 4.4L V8!

As Karl says, I don't think anyone missed that bit - we were just thinking of the 'money pit' aspect of what owning a V12 would bring!!

just bear in mind too that the 840 is just a slightly smaller money pit than the 850,I know 2 840 owners who have had major bills,one of the owners bought a low mile 3yo one and got stung with a £2k bill within weeks,needless to say that was covered under its warranty

beautiful cars just like the Porsche 928,however much as i love the 928,I don't have the kahunas to go for that due to the running costs and money pit potential and I treat the 8 series as pretty much the same

put it this way you can buy a brand new 4.4 v8 engine from BMW for 1K, thats because they have loads of spare engines that they were hoping to sell to people whos 4.4v8's blew up, but it never happened so they have loads of the engines just sat there.

surprised you haven't thought about shoehorning one into a C yet Karl... :grin:

V12 engines are a serious money pit and not anywhere near as reliable as the V8's.

Why, sorry, guess its obvious to most of you - but not me !!!