Sign in to follow this  
pikey

Windscreen Issues....

Hello all.

My VR6 is about to go into a local bodyshop for some paint, including sorting some rust on the leading edge of the roof which requires the screen to come out.

Apparently the screen fitters have said they are pretty sure they will be unable to remove the screen without breaking it and its £250 to £300 for a new one. I know removing the screen can be a hard job and clips etc... often get broken but has anyone heard of them actually breaking the screen?

Sounds iffy to me.

I guess the other option is to source a second hand screen?

Or as I have fully comp insurance if I 'accidentally' crack the screen will they remove it and put a new one in after the roof is painted?

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers

Are you sure the screen needs to come out? The seal that you see on the outside is just trim really, it channels the water away but doesn't actually make it water tight. They are bonded in place from the inside of the car. You can pull the outer trim off, i wouldn't of gained anything by removing mine when i had it re-sprayed.

I was told the same thing about it cracking if they tried to remove it, it only takes a small chip or crack (which most would have), the force in taking it out can make them spread and break the screen.

Interesting..

The reason I was getting the rust done is because it is lifting the outer rubber seal slightly, which I thought was allowing water in, which runs round the egde of the screen, down where the drivers side dash meets the door, and drips into the drivers footwell. So would this leak indicate that the screen is not bonded in properly? I cant see where else the water could be getting in (gutters clear, no other gaps etc...) so assumed it was this lift in the seal that was the problem.

The last screen i had put in (by the RAC) I wasnt happy with, shoddy work is an understatement, anyway made them change it, and yes they broke it getting it out !Cut a long story short i had 3 screens put in till they got it right !

THREE screens they broke !!

Chances are yours will get broke,

unless you have more competent fitters near you

Yep will almost certainly break on removal, just had mine recently done and Jude's the year before.

Make no mistake if there is any sign of rust around the trim you will definately have rust on the flange the screen sits on.

I'd check you can get it done on insurance first then have it removed to do any bodywork around the screen then get a flat bed lorry to take it to the screen depot as we did :?

Incidentally we used RAC in Sheffield and the service was truly exceptional and they were very particular about being spot on with the job in every aspect.

But not all windscreen fitters are alike as we well know.

I would travel a couple of hundred miles for the service they provided but luckily I didn't have to being in the area.

Can pm some pics of before & after if you like????

Kip :grin:

hi mate i used to be a windscreen fitter for 10 yrs and would say if they think they can get a corrado screen out whole they havnt done many if any corrados!

has any one on here ever heard of being done sucsessfully???

it can be done but mostly depends on if its ever been changed, nightmare if it hasnt cause glass brittle and is more likely to go.

on the other hand if it has been done before fitters tend to put on to much glue to make sure it doesnt leak even more of a nightmare to get out hole .i would still only give you a 90% chance of saving it if it has been done well

they are notoriously hard to get out do to the hard trims that run down the side and the facts they sit very low with little sealent between screen and body

we all used to run a mile when we heard a corrado needed doing. LOL

ps rac are ok as long as it isnt their own make of glass they fit!

Thanks for all the advice, looks like the windscreen fitters do have at least some idea what they are on about then.

I have told the bodyshop just to do the other bits of paint it's gone in for and I'm going to leave the screen until I find out more from my insurance about what would be covered.

Cheers

Hi Kip

Yes before and after pics would be great if you have them so I will know more what i'm dealing with when i do get it sorted

Thanks very much

Kip, I'd be interested in seeing the pics as well, fancy sticking them on the thread. I've got exactly the same problem. Last time I had a screen fitted (Badly), the fitters where proud to tell me what a good job they'd done by getting it to stick to 'all that rust' - I wasn't all that happy. Now the screens broke again in the bottom corners and the seal trim keeps falling off.

I'll let Kip decided whether he wants to post up pics in the thread but here's a few of min before, during and after.

(Up till now these have only been shown to a select few :wink: )

Thanks for the pics, I'm wondering how much rust mine has got under there now as there is quite a lot evident outside of the rubber trim.

Out of interest, do you need to get hold of new windscreen rubber when they change a screen, or do they supply a new one with the new windscreen? Would like to replace it anyway as it looks a bit old...

I had my new windscreen fitted on Friday by Autoglass (stone chip had led to a 3 inch crack on passengers side). This was the original windscreen so did well to last 14 yrs. When removed there was no sign of rust at all (thanks 2 previous owners for taking good care of car 8) ). When putting in the new windscreen he used a new rubber inner seal but it's the old outer seal which was put back in place (from what I can see).

The other good thing was I had my Lupo replacement arms and wipers fitted at the same time but since the whole weekend was sunny in Berkshire I haven't had a chance to use them in the rain. Doubt this will be the case for very long!

I paid for a new windscreen about two weeks ago, non insurance claim, and they charged me about £10 for the new rubbers. They told me at the time they try to reuse where they can but that they replace it themselves if it's perished.

think mine is on its second screen and the rubber has come away at the top, all this has got me paranoid now :(

is it easy to take the rubber surround off and have a look for rust?? where could i get a new rubber put on??

The rubber surround should just pull out having nothing but a snug fit to hold it in place.

The trouble is sometimes the sealant that holds the screen in splodges out and the rubber trim gets stuck to it. Or, the screen is not fitted very well and the gap is too big for the trim to push fit snuggly into, then more sealant or what ever comes to hand (!) is used to hold it in place.

Thanks for the pics, I'm wondering how much rust mine has got under there now as there is quite a lot evident outside of the rubber trim.

Out of interest, do you need to get hold of new windscreen rubber when they change a screen, or do they supply a new one with the new windscreen? Would like to replace it anyway as it looks a bit old...

This job is a no brainer in my oppinion, if you have a remote sign of rust around the outer ubber it WILL be far worse underneath it.

I would absolutely remove the screen and you are only kidding yourself if you think it will be ok underneath the screen as it will almost certainly be like the first of Jude's pictures.

both our so called mint cars were like this so trust me. the seal is not normally supplied with the screen but is only around £15 anyway so not bad.

:?