Sign in to follow this  
hodaz

VR6 running hot

I know this is an old quedtion, and I've done a search but not turned up any similar problems.

My VR6 (1994) had a few running problems when I bought it, namely running rich, weak/non-existant starts and erratic idle. I have finally sorted all this out thanks to repalcing the Nuspeed "cold" thermostat for an OE item, replacing all the temp senders/sensors, new MAF, clean TB and ISV, clean crank sensor and replace ingnition switch. However now that the car is finally running and starting fine, its also running too hot. It sits at about 110 in all driving condition, if ever it goes above 110 then "stage 3" fan comes on, so I'm not worried about it overheating as such. But surely running at 110 all the time isn't normal? What can I do to get the temperature down? Failed fan switch?

Strange one - This problems seems to be slowly getting better. Is there a chance the ECU is relearning how to run properley since I've changed some of the components on the engine? Would resetting the ECU help?

oil temp is on the MFA. Have you cleaned out your rad? Might be worth taking it out and sticking a hosepipe in it for a while. Flush the block too and check your water pump to see its not goosed. Also, make sure you really bleed teh system thorough when refilling and fill from teh top hose not the header to avoid airlocks.

I was about to suggest water pump – are there any strange noises coming from the left side of the engine?

Could be an airlock too

I fully flushed the whole coolant system when I replaced the thermostat housing ,and refileld with correct G12 mix. I did fill it from the expansion tank though, so I could have an airlock I suppose. I did leave it to run with the cap off when first started to get any air out, but maybe something | need to check. I still think the high temp is coming from stage 1 and 2 not coming on. Not sure if it could be the water pump, no strange noises, and the engine seems to be running beautifully - something as fundemental as this would cause other performance/running issues? I checked through the service history and the water pump is only 5 years old.

Where is the oil temp displayed on the MFA?

5 clicks in - registers after 50 degrees in 2 degree increments.

Try warming up the car stationary with the cap off whilst massaging the top hose to get any leaks out.

tbh, the only way to really clean teh rad is to remove it, fill with water, shake and drain. do this a few times, then flush it with a hosepipe. Then use some rad flush. Haywire recommended the orange stuff from VW, which i have just picked up. Its basically a dgreaser by the spec, but if that doesnt clean it it means your rad is toast. Change teh water pump first and then see how you get on.

I still think the high temp is coming from stage 1 and 2 not coming on.

So does it come on or not dude? Run your car and check what temps the fans come on, at least you can then rule this out. :D

check out this thread for a comprehensive guide. :cheers:

Well this problem appears to have fixed itself :lol:

Running perfectly noramlly (but for how long this time haha) according to he "VR6 cooling guide" not sure what the high temps immediately after fixing could be down to, possibly the ECU readjusting after it running like a dog for ages due to the cold thermostat, or maybe just the new parts wearing in. Still going to change the cold fan switch for a genuine normal one, as i've read elsewhere the neuspeed cold ones are rubbish.