Sign in to follow this  
bananawhip

Aaaaaaaaahhhhh, I bloody hate electrics!!

Wired a switch in the other day for my exhaust cut out, found a spare plug behind the ashtray so cut it off and wired the switch in, one wire is earth and the other is live but only when the lights are on.

Since then I've lost my indicators, hazards, and horn, fuses look ok, don't know which relay to check but it's really spoiling me having fun with my new toy...any ideas what could be up?

I didn't bother to unplug the battery when I fitted it and also probably touched the opposite wires together by mistake, I hate electrics so any help would be super smashin' great :)

This might be a lod of old chuff but if you've spliced into a circuit you might need an 'on/on' switch rather than an 'on/off' switch. This way, when your exhaust cut out (whatever that is!) is 'off' the original circuit works as intended

This might be a lod of old chuff but if you've spliced into a circuit you might need an 'on/on' switch rather than an 'on/off' switch. This way, when your exhaust cut out (whatever that is!) is 'off' the original circuit works as intended

I haven't spliced into the circuit, I took the astray out as I was going to use the plug into the tray light as it's mo most expendable feed, then to my delight I found a plug just sitting behind it doing nothing, probably off an extra the my car never had.

I cut the plug off, then stripped the wires and connected to my switch, now I have this delightful fault

Maybe if you describe the colour of the wire you cut into , then someone might know which one it is.......The wiring is a bit of a mystery to me though......all i know is that if you dont connect the Grey/blue one at the rear of the headunit......your spoiler will stop working :lol:

Maybe if you describe the colour of the wire you cut into , then someone might know which one it is.......The wiring is a bit of a mystery to me though......all i know is that if you dont connect the Grey/blue one at the rear of the headunit......your spoiler will stop working

Live wire was blue, (only live when lights are on)

Earth was brown

Why would you put a switch onto a pair of wires of unknown function/origin?

Cos I know nothing about electrics and it seemed a good idea at the time :)

If it's a plug just sitting there doing absolutely nothing I don't see what harm it can do? Must've been something that lights up as that's what the live feed was from, maybe a spare plug for the optional gauges, do they light up? Whatever it was I didn't need it

Always use a live where you know what it does! Straight to battery = direct feed, dash lights = 'lights' feed, most others = ignition feed (test by trying whatever it is and you're in luck if it doesn't work when the key's not in the ignition). For an earth, you can use anything provided it ends up on the chassis. What is this exhaust wotsit anyway?

Your gonna hate me for saying this Tom but I think you should do a direct feed for the live. ie straight from the battery.

Have you tried disconnecting the live the the exhaust and seeing if the hazards work again?

Or you could take the feed from the headunit live wire as Im pretty sure in saying that is a direct feed.

Your gonna hate me for saying this Tom but I think you should do a direct feed for the live. ie straight from the battery.

Have you tried disconnecting the live the the exhaust and seeing if the hazards work again?

Or you could take the feed from the headunit live wire as Im pretty sure in saying that is a direct feed.

Can't take a direct feed as the motor will continuously draw current and run the battery down, feed to the head unit is an ignition feed same as nearly all head units, that would be perfect but as using the QTP is not road legal I quite like it being a bit harder to switch in case the rozzers have a look :)

Anyways I took it all apart again and all surrounding looms, jiggled them about and it's all fixed :clap: loose connection somewhere :brickwall:

No more arm signals you'll be pleased to hear :)

What is a exhaust cut out anyway? :D

yeh +1 am interested in what you are doing :scratch:

to my delight I found a plug just sitting behind it doing nothing, probably off an extra the my car never had.

I cut the plug off, then stripped the wires and connected to my switch, now I have this delightful fault

Small white plug?

Found the same when working on mine at the weekend... Anyone know what it's for?

I'm thinkin aircon related...

Isnt the spare plug for the volt and oil meters you can put in the cubby hole - just to give you an idea what it might be for.

Don't think so.. I have my gauges wired in and still have that plug spare...

easypops wrote:

What is a exhaust cut out anyway?

yeh +1 am interested in what you are doing

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.php

I absolutely love it, nice bit of extra power and the soundtrack of godzilla on crack! Coolest thing I've fitted in a long time, youtube it for an idea of the sound

8) Sounds like a dragster.

Sounds like a dragster.

I'm not enough of a chav to drive around with it open constantly but it's nice to have it on tap if I want it.

Stumbled upon a little traffic light Grand Prix the other night, 3 lanes, civic type R on the far left, Astra VXR on the far right, I invited myself to join their mundane little rev-off in the middle lane, pulled up sounding like a creamy refined German cruiser, flicked the switch, did my best impression of an american muscle car, then proceeded to pull their pants down when the lights turned green..too much fun :D

Sounds like a dragster.

I'm not enough of a chav to drive around with it open constantly but it's nice to have it on tap if I want it.

Stumbled upon a little traffic light Grand Prix the other night, 3 lanes, civic type R on the far left, Astra VXR on the far right, I invited myself to join their mundane little rev-off in the middle lane, pulled up sounding like a creamy refined German cruiser, flicked the switch, did my best impression of an american muscle car, then proceeded to pull their pants down when the lights turned green..too much fun :D

Bravo! 8) :clap:

The Chavs WISH their 1.1s sounded like that :lol: