Sign in to follow this  
Abdul

Are spacers safe?

Hi guys and girls, just wondering if anyone on here has had any problems running spacers on their corrados in terms of wheels coming loose/falling off etc? Theres been a bit of talk about it on ed38 recently and tbh im now a bit concerned about running spacers on my car especially the front (im assuming that they're under more stress than the rears)....

Any opinions appreciated.

Abdul :)

Abs, seen any Green 928 ltying at the side of an E-London road?

No... they are fine...

If you want to be Super-secure get the ones that bolt to the hub and then have the wheel bolt to them, rather than the bolt-through types that require longer bolts...

Linky to ED-scaremongering please.. we love a good scene thread! ;)

i would prefer to use longer bolts (within reason) over the double bolt type, as you effectively have you wheels bolted to a block of alluminium - that cant be good!

I use 5mm spacers at the rear to clear the coilovers. They’re expensive Eibach hub-centric ones and are absolutely fine. I wouldn’t run fat old ones as you’re putting more stress on bearings (and messing with what the very clever VW engineers designed)

i would prefer to use longer bolts (within reason) over the double bolt type, as you effectively have you wheels bolted to a block of alluminium - that cant be good!

I know what you mean, however mine (porker adaptors) have to, and I went with a recommendation from a race team that had run a similar setup on an M3 in the 24hr Nurbergring event all ok... :shrug:

longer wheels bolts a must, i ran some wheel spacers (the crappy halfords jobbies) just because my coils were too close to the wheel and needed some that day. was driving along one day and had some severe steering wheel wobble so pulled over and one wheel bolt was missing and 2 were loose.

i would definately advise going for some hubcentric ones as well, otherwise wheels bearings will start to die if the wheel isn't sat properly

longer wheels bolts a must, i ran some wheel spacers (the crappy halfords jobbies) just because my coils were too close to the wheel and needed some that day. was driving along one day and had some severe steering wheel wobble so pulled over and one wheel bolt was missing and 2 were loose.

i would definately advise going for some hubcentric ones as well, otherwise wheels bearings will start to die if the wheel isn't sat properly

Not to mention the bu66eration factor of trying to line up the heavy wheel with the holes whilst cursing at how low your lactic acid threshold is! :lol:

Safety is a sliding scale, all the way from "not going out at all" to "jumping out of a plane without a parachute"...

Well thought out use of spacers isn't much worse than just using normal wheel bolts, but badly thought out spacers can quickly take you to close to 100% probability of losing a wheel while you're driving along..

very true, the wheel nuts are made that size and length for a reason. a wheel is designed to sit on the hub with the wheel bolts actually only holding it in position, they are not there to take the strain. if you add spacers you take the wheel off the hub and give the job of strain to the wheel bolts

i use stub axel spacers on the back of mine and had no problem what so ever

What are they? lol...

Problem with hubcentrics is you can only get em in 15mm+ and i need 10mm's lol.

I've run hubcentric spacers pretty much since I've owned a car. HnR quality is race spec, and I'm happy as larry with that.

Motorsport and rally cars often run spacers, so if those extremes are alright, me pootling around must be as well.

What are they? lol...

check kips post, they fit between the stub axel and the beam. Obciously you can only use them on the rear.

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=72549&start=210#p964213

What are they? lol...

check kips post, they fit between the stub axel and the beam. Obciously you can only use them on the rear.

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=72549&start=210#p964213

Cheers Zak, the rears aren't really a concern because 15mm's are what ill be using so they'll be hubcentric H&R's and i used them on my polo for a year and a half without any problems. Its the 10mm's on the front im concerned about! Oh and the stub axle business looks like waaay too much work for me lol.