Sign in to follow this  
adamsimmons

Urgent help, Garage has snapped locking wheel nut adaptor

Hi,

Would anyone be able to help me? I took my car into the garage on Sat to have some new rubber, but the monkey in the garage decided to use air tools on my locking wheel adaptor and snapped it. Now i'm in the predicament of trying to remove all 4 of the bolts. They tried to remove them but were unable to, I've been to my local VW garage, who are always really helpful and they tried to remove them with a large set of easy outs, but were unable to grip the bolts as there is a collar on them to stop tea leaves. The only option I have been given is oxy-acetalene and burn them out but that's going to wreck or write off my wheels.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can remove the bolts without going to such drastic measures, I'm willing to travel if anyone can provide assistance and some beer money :). I live in Cardiff, if anyone is able to help me out with my dillema.

Cheers guys.

Do you mean drill the head off the bolt, as I'm going to need a huge bit for that. My problem is that they are set so far back in the wheel any chiselling or smacking it with anything is going to do dmage to the wheel, which I want to try and avoid if I can. The wheels aren't the best condition but want to try and avoid wrecking them any more.

Thanks for your advice.

Same thing happened to me a few week ago at Stealthracing :mad2: Have to find someone that has an original VW wheel locking nut (1H0 698 137). I'm not going to get them drilled out as my alloys cost me over a grand for them.

My parents once lost their locking key and called the RAC out. They have a huge array of locking bolt keys etc and got them off in a few seconds...

Other than that Halfords sell locking bolt removal sockets (made by laser) for about a tenner which I have used (these rather makes a mockery of having the locking bolts in the first place).

Most garages will charge you about £10 per wheel to remove.

They tend to do it in one of two ways:

1) Weld a pole to the nut and use that to undo

2) Break the nut (more risk of damage to the alloy)

If it's the garages mistake, does that not mean any loss/damages should come back to them?

If u can't find anywhere mate, and u need a big drill bit to drill it out, let me know by Friday coz I work in a machine shop and we have plenty - and Im in Chepstow.

Hope u get it sorted without having to go down this route tho!!

i have a set of the halfords Locking nut removers.

Where abouts are you? If you need I can post them too you, providing of course, they get sent back!!

I wish they would but they have said that its not their fault that the air tools snapped the key :censored: They shouldn't have been using an air tool to remove the locking nut in the first place

I have been told about some sort of tool that can remove it but its about £150, i know its cheaper than a set of wheels, but I shouldnt be doing it. I've tried to get a bolt on the top and try and weld it on but there isn't enough room as its so far down in the wheel (speed lines) I think the only way is by using something to grip the sides, I have tried the tool from Halfords but all it does it rip the collar of it, then becomes too small to grip.

Cheers slim, I've tried them already. They were great for ripping off the anti theft collar on the bolt, but then they become too big. Unless you have a smaller one than the 7/8 i think it is anyway, It's the smaller one of the 2 in the pack

This happened to me a few years ago.......guy i took it too, burst off the collar then hammered a socket on , job done.......took him 5 mins?

Are they the original locking nuts? Do you have the packaging they came in? if so you should have a serial number for that set of nuts that the manufacturer can use to make a new tool from.

I'm not 100% sure if they are OE ones as I don't have any packaging for them, there are no markings on the key. But they look like these ones. locking_wheel_nut1-300x225.jpg I don't even know who makes them

Where can I buy or get hold of erwin stud/ bolt removers, as I'm not exactly feeling flush at the mo I'm assuming that they are going to be quite expensive. That's how it all happened with an airgun and a mis-aligned key :mad2:

When this happened to me they just banged on a snug fitting socket and whizzed it off.

Irwins are about 20 odd quid from good motor factors.

Machinemart sell them ann screwfix too.

Cheers guys for all your help. I managed to get a few impact sockets then smacked one of them on to break the collar then put a smaller one on to grip it. It took a while and a smashed thumbnail due to missing the socket :bad-words: but I now have 4 wheels that I can remove.

Cheers for all your advice.