Alexander

Terribly misted up G60!

Guys/Dolls,

My G60 has horrible misting problems. As in, I can get in it on a night and you can't see anything out of any of the windows. Condensation is so bad on the back window that it actually starts to run down onto the parcel shelf!

What are the root causes of condensation? It's not heater matrix and last I checked all my carpets are dry. Is it as simple as making sure all rubber seals are good (should be, I've replaced most of them) or are there any tricks to keeping condensation at bay?

If the back window is misting much more prodominently than the others, check your boot carpet around the rear lights/rear panel where the badges are. The badges can tend to let water in, as can the rear lights if the seals are a bit crispy/been removed and not reseated correctly before.

Worth also checking the rubber boot seal, tend to split at the bottom where they join.

Neil.

Mine too :( Its been the same with all 3 corrados ive owned, Its almost a corrado trait :?

Is there a permenant solution? Other then wiping some of that stuff on every few months that prevents windows steaming up - made by same company that makes rain x.

Still no obvious source, although my boot does rattle when it's cold (I imagine it's the seal contracting and leaving room for it to wiggle about), so it's possible the boot just isn't properly sealed.

I have just applied Astonish glass cleaner and anti-fog to my windows - brilliant product and dirt cheap - available from B&B Bargains and also I believe Wilkinsons.

Sometimes cheap can actually be very good

sometimes it isn't just a cause of water getting it, it could just be moisture trapped inside the car.

could you try a tub of that silcia (sp) gel you get with trainers sat in the car for a few nights, i remember seeing a mate using it at home to get moisture out of some double glazing

TRY THIS

Should only cost a tenner, and about 1hrs work...

After that it's check door seals/membranes as well...

Have you tried smearing (or even packing) the boot seal with some Petroleum jelly? That worked with a leaky pop-up glass roof I had in a car once!

mine was simply the tail gate seal where it joins at the bottom by the lock had the connecting piece missing

so i just filled it with silicon seal and smoothed it to the same shape as the rubber

sorted it out no probs

after the smell went !!!!

stu....

Still no obvious source, although my boot does rattle when it's cold (I imagine it's the seal contracting and leaving room for it to wiggle about), so it's possible the boot just isn't properly sealed.

If it's rattling why not adjust the latch mech?? :wink:

Silly question but have you disconnected the rear wiper etc and not blocked off the washer pipe? If you haven't you may have squirted water into the tailgate by mistake.

The other thing is are you driving it about with the heaters on and all closed up? If you are there's no where for the moisture to go.

Drove mine for about an hour last night with heater on full and on "feet" after car got REALLY hot (missus was complaining of feeling sick) open the roof (on tilt) and this should suck out all the hot moist air... After doing this and parking up for an hour in Pikea, there was v.little misting on the windows... Did same on the return trip and all seemed good this morning.

Still have the foliage seal to do though!

If it's rattling why not adjust the latch mech?? :wink:

Believe me I have - I have to slam the boot hard 3-4 times to get it to catch, so I can't tighten it up anymore!

Like the idea of filling any gaps in the boot seal, that's a good quick fix, also will investigate the foliage seal as I'm pretty sure this hasn't been looked at.

Rear wiper has been removed, but not by me. Might investigate and see if the washer pipe hasn't been blocked off properly.

Also, cheers for the heater/sunroof idea, sounds like a good one to actually get the moisture out of the car rather than just move it around!

Can confirm after 40 years of car ownership that a misted up car in the winter-half of the year has always been due to water ingress somewhere.

Corrado is garaged, so I cannot comment on how bad this model is for the problem, but it certainly steams up more than any other car i have owned if you go for a drive after washing it.

With me i can demist it. Then be driving with me or me and the missus in the car and it will steam up unless heater is on. Will this still be water ingress? Seals round doors look ok and same with sunroof :shrug:

This may sound obvious but human breath contains a lot of moisture, even if the car is completely watertight you need to open window with heater on to dispel it, short journeys from cold will cxause problems.

With me i can demist it. Then be driving with me or me and the missus in the car and it will steam up unless heater is on. Will this still be water ingress? Seals round doors look ok and same with sunroof :shrug:

There are so many points at which water can get into a car. In my experience it has taken hours - and many unintentional soakings from the hose - to locate leaks.

Garages will usually return the leaky car (even two new ones - GM :censored: ) saying they have "fixed it", only for you to find they havent. I usually ended up searching myself - took hours over several days or even weeks, but I located the leaks and fixed them.

Even if your car is "leakproof", if it is ungaraged In the winter, on clear, still nights, the laws of physics mean the vehicle's relatively thin roof - losing heat by radiation to space and insulated by the air beneath it - will become one of the coldest surfaces on your property or in your street (Sod's law :roll: ).

The roof and sloping windscreen temperatures become much colder than the air or tarmac, usually ending up as cold as the grass on a lawn. Also, some hatchbacks let water into the boot when you open them in wet weather - all you need is a few dribbles to give you a misted up car next morning if the conditions are suitable.

Consequently, condensation readily forms on the inside of the roof. I have seen water pouring out of the roof-mounted courtesy light of our Pg 205 as soon as we went down an incline on such a morning.

Think of an inverted metal bucket or tin box lying on the grass overnight - lift it up next morning and see how wet the "roof" is.

Garaging has a lot of advantages, but when I was commuting to the daily grind, I could not be bothered, preferring to leave the car outside, as I expect many of you choose, or have to do.

Roll on summer - the great amount of solar heat coming into the car means all moisture will be vapourised and evacuated from the car, giving you weeks or months of clear windows.