robrado974

Robrado's rado she is staying

Up date .

The T4 works van went straight through the MOT . Great no money needed to spend on it . The VR will be going in to the body shop in January, that’s the earliest time Resto can fit me in . I’ve given them a long list . Not a lot of body work as they did it all last year. It’s just the rear sill and attention needed to the battery tray really. The rest is small touch ups and new trims n bits .

Up date .

The T4 works van went straight through the MOT . Great no money needed to spend on it . The VR will be going in to the body shop in January, that’s the earliest time Resto can fit me in . I’ve given them a long list . Not a lot of body work as they did it all last year. It’s just the rear sill and attention needed to the battery tray really. The rest is small touch ups and new trims n bits .

Hi Rob good to hear your T4 went through it's MOT ok :thumbleft:

Right ok your Corrado has given it's Christmas list for repairs, must admit mines the same always wanting new parts or work done.

It'll be worth it in the end though Rob getting it back to former glory.

Si

Thanks Si . I’m going to change the colour coded number plate holder as well and fit the one sprinter has had made . I presume that’s the ones that are on eBay?.

Rob, just seen this mate. Sorry to hear about more rust troubles! Maybe time to think about renting a local authority garage to keep it tucked away and dry in. I did it a few years back. Cost me £50 a month, but the peace of mind and probably cost saving in the long run for rust repairs must surely be worth it. I was lucky and had a pick of about a dozen within 5 minutes walk from home. I picked the best lit row, slightly elevated to avoid standing water (but not too elevated to scrape as I went in and out!), and one in the middle of others so rain water couldn't get in at the sides. Worth considering mate.

Hi Sean , where did you spring from lol. It’s been a while . Have you been on board for a while ?. Yep certainly worth considering a garage . This should be the last of the rust now . I’m not happy about it being on the drive all year round , I will look into a garage in my area .

I've been hiding! Lol. No mate, not been at sea, just long working hours (commuting actually) and concentrating on finishing the house. 100% on the car in the next few months. I've squirrelled away some dosh for replacement parts, though in the 2 years mine has been off the road, prices for parts have risen massively! Will be starting around Christmas though as I am off to sea shortly, until then.

Good to hear you will be back on the car soon Sean and it’s great the house is done or nearly done . My son is dead set on joining the forces next year . He’s just come back from Okehampton army base , he loved it.

:thumbleft:

Fair play to him mate. Good opportunity for a solid career whilst seeing the world. I'd recommend it to anyone, especially the youth of today as a lot of them have no concept of life outside their little box, and the fact things don't revolve around them. Not saying your son is anything like that! But far too many snowflakes who don't understand what a big bad world it really is.

Thanks Si . I’m going to change the colour coded number plate holder as well and fit the one sprinter has had made . I presume that’s the ones that are on eBay?.

Hi Rob,

the one on Ebay now is the same one that's been on Amazon for a while, but it's slightly smaller than the OEM one, I think it's 460mm long whereas the original is something like 540mm.

Ebay item number 202715275813

Cost is roughly £88

The SPRINTER53 one is made to original spec plus has metal tabs on the back, so less risk of them snapping off, plus overall is better quality than the original VW used to stock, his are slightly more expensive but are great quality, but do have a gloss finish which I quite like to be honest.

If you purchase from SPRINTER53 always do so through this Forum, as you'll get a better deal on price, I did see his reproduction rear plinth on Ebay ages ago, but it was more expensive than what you'd pay dealing with him directly on here.

It depends really what you prefer as regards to original OEM look or the gloss finish or the slightly smaller plinth.

Si

Thanks for the info Si . Yes I’m definitely after OEM really , so I will purchase it from the forum.

Many thanks

Rob

For the past few weeks I’ve been battling with a leak on the car . It’s sorn at the moment. I noticed condensation inside the car when going to work in the morning. At first I put it down to it not being used . I inspected the car after a few days and found the carpet on the passenger side was wet . My first thought was the heater blower cover as the dripping water was directly under the ducting for the blower that leads to the matrix and the air feed for your feet .At first I had to do a make shift repair with mastic to stop the water, that didn’t work . The new gasket quickly turned up from Heritage ,having replaced that now and water tested it all seems to be well. Having said that I’m waiting for the rain to start again to make sure it’s water right . I’ve had to Chuck the new closed cell I put in the car and the new sound deadening. At least the new carpet was ok . I’ve had a dehumidifier in the car for a couple of weeks now. I hope I’ve solved the problem.

Edited by robrado974

Fingers crossed for you Rob, such a pain given its something that could have been designed so much better even if it is a relatively easy fix. Just a shame it has the potential to cause a huge amount of damage (including catastrophic fire damage!).

It is a terrible design Sean . I’ve been buying a few new and old parts recently. My mrs has got me the number plate holder which is on sale here and I bought a set of door handles off of Bill on here . So I will be removing the colour coded parts and going back to OEM.I think I will be buying a Mk2 scuttle as well, that will cover the ECU , another terrible design. Hope all is well Sean and the house is nearly done .

Seems to be the way everyone is going Rob, me included. Can't bring myself to remove all the Storm bits, but I've got everything required to change it back should I ever want to. House is all good thanks mate. Just got to finish the garden off which is just some turf, a bit of fencing and a large wooden gazebo to house a hot tub and a bar, then it's complete! Well... apart from the kitchen but that's being done in about 2 1/2 years time.

Is it the rear plinth you're referring to?

Be a shame to get rid of the soundproofing Rob especially after all the work.

Once you've sorted the leak, and if it is still feasible i would replace the cloaed cell with open cell foam of a good density. I think there's a bit of a myth floating around about ccf vs open cell for noise reduction.

Seems to be the way everyone is going Rob, me included. Can't bring myself to remove all the Storm bits, but I've got everything required to change it back should I ever want to. House is all good thanks mate. Just got to finish the garden off which is just some turf, a bit of fencing and a large wooden gazebo to house a hot tub and a bar, then it's complete! Well... apart from the kitchen but that's being done in about 2 1/2 years time.

Is it the rear plinth you're referring to?

Great news about the house Sean . Yeah it’s the rear plinth. I think I will get some new number plates at well . I checked on the car today and the water is coming in still . I poured so much water around the new gasket and nothing came in . And then plenty down the windscreen and still nothing. We had a small amount of rain and in it comes . Looks like of got some more investigating to do , which isn’t easy in this weather on a drive.

Be a shame to get rid of the soundproofing Rob especially after all the work.

Once you've sorted the leak, and if it is still feasible i would replace the cloaed cell with open cell foam of a good density. I think there's a bit of a myth floating around about ccf vs open cell for noise reduction.

Hi Hasan . I will take on board what you are saying about the cell foam . Unfortunately I can’t save the new sound proofing I installed, yes I started to dry it out but it stinks, I think even when dry it will still smell .

Bugger, hope you get to the bottom of it Rob. If you remove all the carpet and sound deadening etc from the passenger side, dry it all out in there and blow some talc around to see if you can trace where it's coming in mate

Bugger, hope you get to the bottom of it Rob. If you remove all the carpet and sound deadening etc from the passenger side, dry it all out in there and blow some talc around to see if you can trace where it's coming in mate

It’s all out Sean , it was soaked. I can’t put picks up so I will describe it the best I can .If you follow from the heater motor along the blower ducting and then down to where the Bowden cables are that’s where it’s dripping. But I need to get my hand right up the back of it and see if it’s wet at the top of the ducting. I still don’t know where it’s coming from . The weather is so bad. I’ve put flour down and you can see where it’s hitting the floor pan but not where from .

Rob have you checked to see the heater matrix gasket is in place in the scuttle . Where the two pipes enter through the scuttle.

Also noticed soundedning is on special offer at Heritage clear out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gasket-Bulkhead-Heater-Matrix-Pipes-/362719282695

Thanks keyo. That’s the stuff I had in there , I replaced it a few years back . Good to know it’s on offer .

Rob does your cassette holder fit under the ashtray where the VDO gauges go ?

This is a bizarre diagram from VAG, it shows a cassette holder next to the handbrake and also a bulb in the rear ashtray,not sure even in the States they had a cassette holder by the handbrake. Anyone ever seen one of these cassette holders where the handbrake centre console is ?

Part number 25 is showing bulb for rear ashtray which mine does not have.

Part number 26 shows a bulb for cassette holder in handbrake console.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/COR/year/1995/drive_standart/76/hg_ug/919/subcategory/214010/part_id/0/lang/e