Sign in to follow this  
Danny B

Does this happen to everyone.....

Couple of weeks ago I noticed something strange.......when I change gear at over 2k rpm as I ease of the accelerator and engage the clutch the revs momentairly rise by around 100 rpm before dropping - I've had the car for four years now and havent noticed this before. :scratch:

Does this happen to anyone else, I noticed 'Wompa' has mentioned something similar in his thread which made me think of 'putting it out there' to everyone.

Funny thing is I noticed my polo 1.4 does it as well.

Its a VR by the way.

Any thoughts ??

Its normal and supposed to happen!

Thank you very definitive :D ....do you know why it happens out of interest ??

Thank you very definitive :D ....do you know why it happens out of interest ??[/quote:1nlgzfy6]

My gess is that when you lift off the throttle and depress the clutch, there is a slight overlap and the engine revs a little bit freely for a split second causing the revs to build slightly. I have it in my car and in my golf befor that

Or could just be my bad driving :D

Definately never heard of or noticed this, not in 100k miles of driving VR6s.

Its such a small increase you really have to be looking at the needle to notice it which obviously most people dont do just before changing gear !!

swoompy we cant both be bad drivers :lol:

Definately never heard of or noticed this, not in 100k miles of driving VR6s.

Its such a small increase you really have to be looking at the needle to notice it which obviously most people dont do just before changing gear !!

swoompy we cant both be bad drivers :lol:

Ya it is a very slight increase.

haha you never know :p

I've noticed this with my 1.8. I put it down to the ISV taking over the idle. If you slow down in gear till the revs drop below about 700 they will rise on dipping the clutch to just over 1000 then drop back to the 750 idle speed. I'm probably totally wrong though and these are just the ravings of a geriatric idiot

could be to help slowing down with the gears, instead of dropping down the gears with the revs dropping, it just blips it to help smoother gear change?

I've noticed this with my 1.8. I put it down to the ISV taking over the idle. If you slow down in gear till the revs drop below about 700 they will rise on dipping the clutch to just over 1000 then drop back to the 750 idle speed. I'm probably totally wrong though and these are just the ravings of a geriatric idiot

Of course that will happen mate, you're trying to make the engine rotate slower than it would at idle by using the engine as a brake. You shouldn't be in gear at that rpm, of course the isv is going to want to speed things up a bit. :)

I have noticed this, I'm fairly confident this will be down to the ISV opening up on throttle release. I can see why this frustrates some people, it's like the engine is out of sync with your right foot and seems impossible to rectify. Fly by wire cars are similar to drive but you can compensate on quick gear changes by advancing your right foot movements a touch, however with the ISV response seems slower to me.

On a side note this effect is increased by a few hundred revs with forced induction or at least superchargers, I've been meaning to put a restriction in the ISV inlet for a while to try and reduce this effect. Not gonna happen for a while though as my car is back in bits :bad-words:

I assume your taking the p*&%

This shouldn't happen, it's either a fault with the car or a fault with your driving!

OK then i will rephrase its nothing to worry about then!!! No fault codes on my car so is nothing worth rattling your brains over. Its like the clreaking noise when you press the clutch after a long drive is it anything to worry about NO!

Rant over :D