Sign in to follow this  
delfinis38

Novice stereo stuff...

Can anyone advice if i'm wasting my time......

I have a alpine stereo which has a built in amp of 50w x 4, front speaker are a set of mission component's. I'm not in to loud music and bass but like good quality sound at a easy listening level.

Right... years ago i bought an amp and leads on a wim. it's a Genesis series 60. never been used just sitting in the box :cuckoo: the test cert for it gives

4 ohms @ 0.1% (30w) left 58 watt RMS / right 58 watt RMS

2 ohms @ 0.1% (60w) left 96 watt RMS / right 96 watt RMS

4 ohms @ 0.1% (120w) 194 watt RMS

is it worth the hassel of linking it up to the alpine and speaker's will there be any difference. or is the stereo amp better.

TA for any advice

Your alpine will be putting out more along the lines of 18watts RMS per channel. The RMS figure the important one. The Genesis Series range is very much an audiophile product, and if anything the speakers will be the weak link in the chain.

Fit the damn thing, it'll sound lovely.

Get it fitted dude.

I have an Alpine 50w headunit and have recently fitted a 50w Alpine amp to power the front speakers. I didn't think it would make much of a difference but it really has, the mids are a lot deeper and the speakers can be turned up higher without distorting.

deffo fit it as said above its will make a noticable difference

just remember to ensure you run the rca cables down the middle of the car and the power down the passenger side and use a large 30amp fuse near the batt and you should have no probs :D

....and a nice gromit where the power cable comes through the fire wall. Don't use crapo RCAs either, and a nice thick power cable. 8 gauge would probably do, although 4 gauge would be better ;)

thanks for jogging the memory on splitting power from RCA, totally forgot about that.

Looks like i have a rockford fosgate gold plated RCA cable and a rockford 30amp fuse and holder. but not sure on power cable. guess a visit to halfords / rip speed is in order for a gromit and some additional power cable and battery terminals. does the amp need to be vented / will it get warm. not sure if the boot or somewhere in the dash is best.

Boot would be better dude. It will get warm, but unless you load it with 2 Ohms, it should run cool enough.