Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Fitting Magnex backbox - but have uprated ARB's?

Hi folks..

Picked up a Magnex backbox on here the other day to replace my drainpipe sized powerflow backbox but since then dug up a post by Kevhaywire which said that Magnex backboxes are too chunky to cohabit the underside of the car if you have an uprated ARB - which I've got :( Are there any ways round this, aside from deforming the backbox with a hammer? Would prefer to not have to wreck it just to fit it! :(

Mine fits fine with an Eibach, otherwise Faye has one with a Neuspeed, and Dave and Graham adjusted the brackets and pipework to suit.

I have a complete magnex system on mine, when fitting my rear arb, it went straight on ! No denting, no wiggling couldnt have gone on any easier !

Did have it on a 2 poster lift.

The Neuspeed ARB's Drop links are alot thicker at the mounting points compared to the Eibachs etc. so it might not need adjusting.

But Ive got a Magnex system on my VR with an Eibach and and it fouled so maybe you wont find out till you fit it Jim...

I've got a magnex backbox and a eibach arb and they work fine together, it was a pig to fit though, very tight, fine once fitted, no knocking.

Um and... is changing a backbox something I can do at home? I'm assuming unclamp and remove rubbers, drop exhaust, reattach and rehang rubbers... job done?! Or should I get it round to Stealth..? :)

Half hour jobs tops. Might need a screwdriver to lever rubbers on/off but other than that a bit of brute force and wiggling

Edit, buy exhaust gum first. £3 ish

It's the SuperSprint back box that definitely needs a whack to clear the Eibach and Neuspeed anchor bolts. I noticed a Magnex needing the same treatment at Stealth once too, which is probably why I mentioned it....

I suspect Magnex may have altered the back box design a few times. Most aftermarket exhaust makers use generic premade silencers and stick their own tubes and tailpipes on, so it wouldn't surprise me if some don't need clearancing, and some do.

What some folk do is fit the back box with the back wheels hanging down and think "Yeah I've got tonnes of clearance" and then when the car's back on the ground again, they realise they actually have nil clearance, or an inch or less :D

It's the lateral swaying as you go round corners that whacks the silencer into the bolt, so you could use the stiffer T4 rubbers as Steve mentioned, which will stop that happening. I have them on mine and they work extremely well.

Remember to set the over axle clearance to a finger's width at the top and you'll get no issues with axle clonking over bumps.....

Hmmm... might have a go at doing it myself, I must say. In the famous words of Top Gear, how hard can it be?! :)

Only question then is - obviously I'd need to plop the car on axle stands somehow but would need to drop the rear beam down so I had room to work - where should I jack the car, and where should I put the axle stands if I want to do this right? I'm assuming dropping the car onto axle stands under the rear jacking points would be a bad idea?

Yeah do it yourself, i fitted full stainless to mine yesterday.

I went with axle stand on the front and trolley jack on the rear, passenger side obviously.

Once you stick your head under youll see how simple it is, only real tool you need is 13mm socket for the exhaust clamp.

let it warm up a bit to seal the exhaust gum when your done.

Yep, just use the heavy duty VAG exhaust mounts to hold it - 7H0253144E

Cheers dude :) Will go order these from my local Stealers tomorrow.. hopefully they've got em on the shelf!

To be honest mate I'd never try and do an exhaust myself - not without a ramp anyway and especially in this weather...

Just take it to a decent tyre and exhaust garage, if you have all the bits they will probably charge you a tenner to fit it unless it takes ages...

Magnex fit very well but I suppose it depends how well it mates up to your existing system.