Sign in to follow this  
KARMANN

tuning engine

hey,just bought another engine. 1.8 16v going to get work done on it before i put it in the car.wondering the best mods to do while its not in the car.hopefully some1 can help here with prices etc too! cheers!

I think a pair of cams and porting the head are good mods for the 16v, shouldn't be too hard to get the bits off too, seen as the engine's out of the car, should be good for round about 25bhp, can anyone back me up?

Also it will still look like a standard engine.

Am thinking about doing this to my 2.0L.. any info on best cams to use and good tuning shops in the Surrey area would be great?

you cant do much to the kr engine, unless u are getting it chipped....the management doesnt like it at all, it'l run like a pile'o'sh1t3

the head doesnt need flowed untill u come to extreme mods, it breathes really well as it is.

The easiest mod to the 2l 16v would be to bung in the KR inlet cams. the exhaust ones dont make too much difference.

The best mod for a kr bottom end is to replace it with an ABF one!

The KR engined cars need VSAM or Kstar as they cannot be chipped in the normal sense. The fueling is purely mechanical. The timing is fixed in the ECU.

The 2 litre Corrados have the 9A which has KE-motronic management. This can be chipped.

The KR inlet cam is a recommended swap into a 9A. The exhaust cams are the same. You can also use a modified exhaust cam as an inlet cam. I have had one and it works pretty well IMHO.

You can get one from Stealth. Or do a search and do it yourself.

Gavin

The KR engined cars need VSAM or Kstar as they cannot be chipped in the normal sense.

Sorry.. spose it would have been more helpful if I had made that more clear!

You can get one from Stealth. Or do a search and do it yourself.

......Or I could sort you out with one.....let me know

......Or I could sort you out with one.....let me know

Andy, how do you do that? Do you machine the pulley or add another timing mark to it? Assuming you were talking about the exhaust for an inlet mod.

Gavin

The exhaust cam's woodruff key needs remachining into a new location in order to give the correct timing. Only a very small number of people know the exact measurements and I ain't one of them unfortunately!

The zorst cam has an extra 0.5mm lift and a little more duration than the KR inlet stick.

It's a mild mod and I managed to eeek 154bhp out of one of my valvers with a pair of zorst cams, Kstar, modded control pressure regulator and a Supersprint.

K

cheers for the replys guys.all a little over my head-is the kr engine the 1.8 16v like mine or 2.0?also for any parts mentioned would it be possible to have a rough price guide/where they can be bought and code numbers. whats a gas flowed head? iv modded the air box and the cars already on a full supersprint system. always liked carbs and throttle bodies but there expensive-any other options? cheers for your help

this will be an ongoing project as money allows,hopefully get it in the car in the summer.mibby b4 the trackday! cheers fraser

KR = 1.8 16V

ABF = 2.0 16V Corrado engine (short stroke)

9A = 2.0 16V Golf Engine (long stroke)

There's a thread about tuning the 1.8 16V Here that you may find useful 8)

KR = 1.8 16V

Not exactly correct........

the ABF is the golf engine, and the 9A is the corrado engine.

They both have the same stroke and bore, except the block is 15mm taller on the ABF.....as are the con rods a bit longer......this gives better torque throughout the range.

Some dont like the ABF because of the longer con rods...they are theoretically weaker and probably heavier than the shorter 9a ones. But for naturally asperated applications i cant see a problem.

I had a ABF in the golf, with KR cams and a magnex system. Never had it on the RR to give figures but, the power delivery throughout the range was much better and with a slightly more powerful peak.......I towed another car up quite a steep hill in 2nd with the engine idling....try to do that with the 1.8!

Basically Karmann the 1.8 is not highly tunable due to the engine management.....u could change it for around £600 yourself using emerald for example, then you can start with induction kits cams etc.....

As it is just now.....you can do the exhaust, panel filter, and put on a piggyback chip, as mentioned above....but i dont think many will get more than 150-155 out of the 1.8 on its standard management....thats what the ABF puts out standard.

By the way...the 9a, the abf and the kr (and the 6a form audi 80s and probably others too) can all be switched around! the heads and most of the ancilaries are the same.....there are differences between the inletmanifolds....due to the different management systems.....sinse you are going to be putting this new engine in....i would concider a different one before you commit to it!

Phil K, I can get you a set of KR cams...the 9a and abf cams are milder than the kr ones so you will see a difference......not sure how much on the 9a...maybe some could enlightlen us there!......if you want a price let me know.

hth

hey,just bought another engine. 1.8 16v going to get work done on it before i put it in the car.wondering the best mods to do while its not in the car.hopefully some1 can help here with prices etc too! cheers!

Hello Karman

The basic mods i would go for which are tried and proven is:-

2L 9A bottom end

Port and polish your head

Port and polish the inlet and exhuast manifold to match the head work

Get the 50mm inlet if your car doesnt have it

K&N panel airfilter

Drill lower half airbox on the headlamp side and wing side, Also remove the snorkel and plastice trim behind the headlamp

Get the exhaust down pipe from a G60 or 2L 16v that has the 3 bolt attachment (where the CAT is usually attached to) and get a full stainless steel exhuast system from there back.

All that should not really cost you more than £1000-£1500 depending where you go etc but you should see a health 160-170bhp

KR = 1.8 16V

Not exactly correct........

the ABF is the golf engine, and the 9A is the corrado engine.

Nuts, sorry guys... Was having an off night last night... :oops: It should have been tall block and short block as well instead of short/long stroke... So:

KR=1.8 16V

ABF=2.0 16V Golf (Tall block)

9A=2.0 16V Corrado (short block)

Sorry for any confusion... :wink:

Phil K, I can get you a set of KR cams...the 9a and abf cams are milder than the kr ones so you will see a difference......not sure how much on the 9a...maybe some could enlightlen us there!......if you want a price let me know.

hth

very interested mate, price is important... is this a job I can do myself? Should I tie in anyother mods to the engine at the same time?

Thanks again guys,

ok iv already got a full system on it

and airbox drilled etc

so how much would i be for a 2L 9A bottom end?is it a straight swap?

how much for the porting and polishing of the heads and inlet exhaust manifold?

the larger inlet manifold-is it the 50mm one from the mk2 16v gti? also is it a straight swap and price?

the dowm pipe from the g60 or 2L16v is that a straight swap onto my engine and exhaust?

thanks for the help and i appreciate that u prob wont know the prices but a rough idea would be great.

cheers Fraser

I can answer the manifold question, yeah it is a straight swap. It's a good idea to replace the injector seals (4 black, 4 green), the brass seats and their seals and the orange plastic injector sleeves whilst the manifolds are in bits. The 16V will idle sweetly if you do that as they tend to leak air as they get old. I reckon about £50 for the 50mm manifold from a breakers.

Kev

2L bottom end bolts straight in no probs :D

The port and polishing depends on the company who does it cant really say

Yes the 50mm Inlet are on the late 16v golf's and sometimes even 1.8 16v corrado had them and again bolts straight on :D

Last but not least the down pipe bolts straight on and if you get a CAT by past ull realise alot of back preasure that the first silencer on the down pipe causes so the car should rev alot quicker etc and better pull on it :D

very interested mate, price is important... is this a job I can do myself? Should I tie in anyother mods to the engine at the same time?

£50 delivered. It is a bolt in job......but you need to take cam cover off...and undo the cam shells in the correct order.

I am also selling the ABF engine.....would like to sell it complete...but i wont mind splitting it.....£500 complete.....£450 for just the bottom end......it has kr cams in it just now....btw Karmann...its in edinburgh...so not to far to transport....you can see it running too just now.....its still in the drivable golf....

Am very tempted, need to see what my oil pressure problems are being caused by over the weekend before I decide as I might have to spend all my available cash on repairs rather than mods :(

If I do fit cmas etc will it put a lot more strain on the engine and is it a good idea if it's on 75,000 with five owners in its history (probably been thrashed by at least 4 of em!) although it does have a FSH so I suppose that's in it's favour :wink:

I know Majik on this forum has a engine for sale that u could use

otherwise there is a few for sale

also andy the 9A bottom end is know to be the best for modifing etc inmy opinion aswell

the ABF mkIII golfs are not know to be that strong and i have a bottom end with cracked piston sitting in my garden out of a golf mkIII