Sign in to follow this  
VRwood

Vag Com

I'm thinking of buying a Vag Com wire off fleabay but i'm not sure which one I need and I can't really make sense of the ross-tech website!

I'm not sure which connector I need 2x2 or the other one but i'll check tonight! Also I have a laptop with a usb and serial port so which should I go for, does it matter?

Now for the tricky bit, which software do I download from the ross-tech site? http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/index.html I'm given all these options, so which release do I go for? I want to use the shareware software to check everything works then i'll probably upgrade to the paid version if/when I have any engine problems!

Cheers for the help guys!

A 94 VR will definitely be the later OBD type plug (looks kinda like a SCART lead), and not the 2x2 type.

I got a serial connector but i don't think it really matters that much. USB connection can have some comms problems with the ABS ECU thoguh i think.

As for what to get from ross-tech, I couldn't say. I got my software from elsewhere... :wink:

i found with the ebay leads just download a few versions and see if it works and even when it does it wont give you all the useability

of a proper keycom lead from ross tech which is why i got a ross tech key com lead as this tells you the problem eg 00513 front ns abs sensor short to ground

and not a code which does not tell you anything

I had a cheap fleabay cable for a while and it worked well at first, but then just died. If you go this route, software versions 3.11 and 4.08 I think are supposed to work - downloadable from the ross-tech website.

I replaced mine with a genuine ross-tech cable, never had problems with communications with that one.

As to USB or serial - Personally I'd go USB as serial ports are rare these days on laptops, if you change your lappy, you may not be able to use the lead if you go for serial.

millerman, im sure VAG COM does state what the problem is as opposed to just an error code.

Version 303.11 also works :D

from what i can remember it just tell you the error codes

millerman, im sure VAG COM does state what the problem is as opposed to just an error code.

My 303.11 shows full descriptions, using a £10 Fleabay lead...

My 303.11 shows full descriptions, using a £10 Fleabay lead...

Ah cheers for clearing that up Matt - thought i was imagining things :cuckoo:

Why did they remove that functionality on the new versions then??? Seems a step backwards removing the error code description.

i cant even get my fleebay lead to work it saves the port but when i scan it says no connection

When you select the port and press 'test' does it say 'connected and ready' or something like that?

Try changing the latancy setting in the control panel of windows or see if it will detect in another port. My Ebay lead will only work in com port 3, though it wont detect in any other port.

A 94 VR will definitely be the later OBD type plug (looks kinda like a SCART lead), and not the 2x2 type.

Thought OBD2 wasn't until 96?

my old laptop has finally died and i've got a usb to serial adapter for the VAGCOM lead. Problem now is i get an error saying 'no response from controller'. I've installed the correct driver for the lead. Any suggestions?

my old laptop has finally died and i've got a usb to serial adapter for the VAGCOM lead. Problem now is i get an error saying 'no response from controller'. I've installed the correct driver for the lead. Any suggestions?

More than likely will need to change the port to port 3 in device manager. Can't remember how I did it but that was the missing link to getting my ebay cable working. :thumb right:

not having any luck here :( not sure how you change to port 3, haviing looked through device manager. there was a whole lsit of usb ports, although mine only has 4. I'm running XP and windows 2007 if thats of any consequence.

I struggled with it, never used Vista before.

When you unplug the usb cable does one of the ports dissapear? Thats how i figuired out what one was the cable. I plugged it back in then went onto it and changed the port.

Have you installed the driver? - I struggled with this bit and windows installed one for it itself. If you find out how it works (no exe files in the zip I was sent) give me a shout.

Havent tried that Hatcha. I just tried each and every usb port but all gave the same error 'no response from controller'.

I ahve also installed the driver for the USB to serial and every time you change ports, it shows the 'new hardware found' popup. I just go through this and it works fine up to the end, but still doenst allow the lead to work...