Sign in to follow this  
Mcr VR6

Where do you pay to keep your C and how much?

Just wondering of the people who keep their corrado's somewhere other than home, what sort of space have you got and how much does it set you back pcm?

I've been looking for a lockup in manchester with very little joy... :brickwall:

I'm also wondering whether there is enough demand out there to invest in some land, build a decent garage style hangar and rent the space to people who want to use it to work on longer term projects. What would you pay for a secure workspace with good lighting and a small but flat area outside that could be used for mini test runs etc.

I managed to inherit from my dad when he moved a lockup garage in Coventry, which backs onto where I used to live before my parents moved. The alley way is now secured by an extra set of pretty serious gates - no way anyone is going to bother getting over them to get at a car in a garage. Only paying £25/month!

Got a garage about 3miles from the house... as it's within walking distance to the city centre it costs £180 a quarter though :gag:

That not bad. I looked for ages to get one around my area (centre of Aberdeen) and most were at least a mile away and they were going for £100+ a month.

Managed to get one 2min walk from the flat through a friend of a friend for £50 a month but it has no power. You will always be able to rent out a garage in a city from what Ive seen.

A bit off topic but i asked around about a garage near my area and the guy wanted £250 a month! thats more than i paid in uni rent!

I'm also wondering whether there is enough demand out there to invest in some land, build a decent garage style hangar and rent the space to people who want to use it to work on longer term projects. What would you pay for a secure workspace with good lighting and a small but flat area outside that could be used for mini test runs etc.

Not sure an idea like that could work without large investment. Assuming you can get a loan for the cost of building the thing and buying the land, you then would have to have some beefy security as once word got round all the scrotes will come out and try to nick as much as they can. Lots of car parts lying around would be an easy target. Second, if you are going to let people work on their own cars, you will probably need public liability insurance for people injuring themselves.

i am renting a space in an old warehouse. costs me £30 a month, its gone up from £25 in the past few months. no electric or water but its litterally just to lock it up. after having numerous cars broken into i decided to pay this. bonus being i dont need it for work so its out of the shitty weather!

I pay £35 a month to keep it 20 miles from home in a barn :p cheap though I think, with water and electicity

I don't know where abouts in manchester you are but i used to pay £10 a week for a cosy garage in Reddish.

Have you looked on gumtree?

Yeah, I just want somewhere to keep mine out of the crap weather and replace the occasional bust crack pipe etc.

I think I was expecting about the £30pcm mark but there doesn't seem to be much in manchester anyway, just lots of outdoor spaces to let, more for people who work in the city centre. 20 miles away in a barn is random! lol.

you would have to have some beefy security as once word got round all the scrotes will come out and try to nick as much as they can.
beefy security would definitely be the idea anyway, part of the buildings construction ideally

if you are going to let people work on their own cars, you will probably need public liability insurance

Not part of the plan! I think some careful wording including 'at your own risk' should avoid the need for that. Technically individuals would be leasing space so what they do in it is their own business... yada yada

I don't know where abouts in manchester you are but i used to pay £10 a week for a cosy garage in Reddish.

Yep, looked on gumtree. Any more details about it? Reddish is right round the corner from me! My kinda price range too...

This looks ideal;

http://manchester.gumtree.com/manchester/93/52451193.html

a snip at only £30,000.

£75pcm x 3 = £225

£30,000 / £225 = 133 months, or 11 and a bit years to pay back the capital, not including interest, tax, and other costs... surprisingly the maths don't stack up!

Yes but you still have the asset which may well have appreciated in value. Another way of looking at it is what would it cost you to borrow £30K or what interest could you get on £30K of your savings? less than the £2700 income/yr you might be getting (c9%) although it might be hard to get £75/month from 3 punters each and every month.

mine is in a self storage place like big yellow etc..... they have a BIG space for cars, boats & a single seater racer. Has power & LOTS of cameras for

failing that Gumtree etc is a good place as Jon said :D

This looks ideal;

http://manchester.gumtree.com/manchester/93/52451193.html

a snip at only £30,000.

£75pcm x 3 = £225

£30,000 / £225 = 133 months, or 11 and a bit years to pay back the capital, not including interest, tax, and other costs... surprisingly the maths don't stack up!

Yes but you still have the asset which may well have appreciated in value. Another way of looking at it is what would it cost you to borrow £30K or what interest could you get on £30K of your savings? less than the £2700 income/yr you might be getting (c9%) although it might be hard to get £75/month from 3 punters each and every month.

I'm not sure I would still have the asset on such measly incoming cash, I don't see those ends meeting! :eek:

That £2700 would disappear fast if you start thinking about expenses and overheads that might crop up. Altho after looking about, £75pcm is probably too cheap for such a cosy sounding setup

mine is in a self storage place like big yellow etc..... they have a BIG space for cars, boats & a single seater racer. Has power & LOTS of cameras for

That would be my preference because places like that usually have Air conditioning.

A damp garage is the worst place to keep a car as it never dries out and can start rotting.

Ive just secured a lock up through the Council for £40pcm, no power (though it does have a street light outside :norty: ) and enough room for my rado, tools and even a bench :grin:

have you applied with your local council for a garage? the waiting list is free...

Yep, looked on gumtree. Any more details about it? Reddish is right round the corner from me! My kinda price range too...

Its behind the shops on Anson Rd off Thornley Lane. There was a sign up and there was 2 free when i gave my keys back.

If you need the number let me know.

Kate

Its behind the shops on Anson Rd off Thornley Lane. There was a sign up and there was 2 free when i gave my keys back.

If you need the number let me know.

Kate

Cheers Kate, I will have a look for it shortly.

Hadn't looked into the council option either so thanks for that guys

Just got a garage from council. 40 quid a month. Was waiting one day for a lock up :)

I work for the council and have six garages :lol: all free as there for work related materials.....

Two do have work bits in them, the rest have other bits that i use, one has my MK2 GTI in there and the spare is for the 'rado when I'm doing some work on it.

I would consider the big yellow storage places or the likes, somewhere that is dry and not damp and moist almost all the time, maybe if i sort out uni/forces this year then i'll get the 'rado in there.

ive got the most expensive storage place ever.......on my drive , every time the wife walks by it i get some comment about what a waste of money that car is sitting there :D so it costs me a fortune niceties on a regular basis lol