Sign in to follow this  
Andi

The C finally needs work: shocks + discs

Well, the motorway muncher has had a reliable year, but it has finally decided that I need to throw some money at it.

My driver's side rear shock is shot (handling is fun past 60mph! NOT!) and my front discs are looking nigh dead. So, do I...

a) Get cheeeeap rear shocks, £18.99 x2 from Eurocarparts (or £29.15 each for Bilsteins) and cheeeeap £16.99 discs from ECP... What about my pads? They've done about 3k miles.. do I have to change them too? Or can I get 'em grinded down?

b) Hit the CC and get some good shocks (like?) and Big Brake Kit for the front?

c) Sell the car and buy a Saxo :lol:

Whatcha fink?

Bare in mind I'm unemployed and completely skint.

Well, the motorway muncher has had a reliable year, but it has finally decided that I need to throw some money at it.

My driver's side rear shock is shot (handling is fun past 60mph! NOT!) and my front discs are looking nigh dead. So, do I...

a) Get cheeeeap rear shocks, £18.99 x2 from Eurocarparts (or £29.15 each for Bilsteins) and cheeeeap £16.99 discs from ECP... What about my pads? They've done about 3k miles.. do I have to change them too? Or can I get 'em grinded down?

None of the above *:)

Do what Im doing.... go into GSF and order four Sachs shocks for £125.... then whilst there order a set OE Discs (£50) and a set of pagid pads.. (£12)... then go fit em.

For £200 you will have all new shocks (decent handling again) and decent front brakes (you will stop well!)

Oh and bear in mind bilsteins for VR6 arent recommended..... very firm apparently.

Scott

Sounds like a good plan.

Anyone else??

Anyone fancy fitting some shocks and front discs? ;)

Whatcha fink?

Bare in mind I'm unemployed and completely skint.

You know, the Saxo jokes were funny the first few times mate.

Andi,

While the work needs doing, you may as well take the plunge and get a set of coilovers. If you're spending dosh on labour (how much does Ant charge?? :)) then you may as well spend it and have them fit a decent kit.

Would probably stick with some new standard brakes tho.

Go on stoodent - give the cc a bit of a workout :)

:evil:

Andi,

While the work needs doing, you may as well take the plunge and get a set of coilovers. If you're spending dosh on labour (how much does Ant charge?? :)) then you may as well spend it and have them fit a decent kit.

Would probably stick with some new standard brakes tho.

Go on stoodent - give the cc a bit of a workout :)

:evil:

LOL... he is un employed therefore skint ..... so think coil overs going to be a bit heavy on the wallet.... I'd stick with the sachs shocks myself mate - heard great things about them - got to be better than the ones I have on my VR!!! - why is it that the rear shocks are first to go ? - any theories ? *:)

Scott

I've got the sachs on my 16v. I think they do the job well, (for the price) I got all new springs(boge) and dampers when I bought mine and they helped a lot. As for why rears go first, I haven't a clue, but mine had worn a lot more at the back when I took out my old ones.

Recently went for adjustable Koni shocks and kept my original springs (can’t lower the car as my daily commute involves nearly 120 speed bumps and front spoiler / bumper costs the earth).

Cost a fair wedge but made a huge difference to the responsiveness of the chassis and isn't too firm on 'soft' and if you do a track day it's easy to firm them up. However, I’d also suggest that you change your bushes at the same time (PD Motorsport did mine) - the old ones looked a right state as they’d been on the car since new – 110,000 miles ago and had split in many places!

Out of interest, what track day event / venue would you recommend, and does it have a reasonable run-off area (never driven at one before)? Have some friends going to the Nurburgring late summer and would like to try a UK track before deciding whether to go.

I'd stick with the sachs shocks myself mate

Can I replace just the rears or would that be too weird? ie. different firmness etc.

why is it that the rear shocks are first to go ?

Too much sex in the rear seats? Or maybe the arse going down every time you plant the accellorator.

I’d also suggest that you change your bushes at the same time

How much are bushes then?

And yes, on cars...... lets not start that, Tom...

Is it time for me to call on my favours at PDM? :lol:

The ATE front discs - they're not listed on ECP with the Corrado/VR6 filter on - anyone got a part no.?

And the Sach shocks - which are they on the GSF site? And whats the difference between ones with BQ in the name and without?

yeah, its definitely all the sex in the back wearin the shocks.. lol! :lol:

i'm gettin koni adjustables when i find the bling for it. heard good things about em.

How much are bushes then?

And yes, on cars...... lets not start that, Tom...

:(

....Spoil all my fun :(

Andi the ate power discs are listed under accesories on the site and are £27.50 each, then change the full suspension for boge gas shocks also from ecp for £3499 each for the fronts and £27.20 for the rears and you could also buy the lowering springs for £59.99 which will make the car handle much better. I would advise you to change the whole lot as the car has now done over 180k and will alter the handling charecteristics quite a bit if you only change the fronts!! If you get all the stuff I will fit it for you at the weekend if you bring it down!! give us a bell you know my number :D

£3499 each? ouch.....

:lol:

£59.99 for the springs - wassat - per pair? Each?

Ok, spent the past few hours pondering what the hell to do....

It seems I have a couple of choices with regards to the shocks:

a) Just get the rears done with some Boge/Sach and some ATE Powerdiscs up front = £138.53 inc VAT+del.

b) Do it on the cheap - Meyle shocks and Guttman front discs = £94.54 inc VAT+del.

c) Hit the CC and spend >£300 and lower 40mm etc etc etc...

Ok, really can't afford c) even though I'd love to. I'll treat the C to full Koni setup when I'm earning again - unless the government fancy paying for it :lol:

Think b) would be a false-economy. So a) looks the best option. Now, do I do upper/lower mounts and bushes? Or leave them to K-day? (the day of the Koni's 8))

Need the front discs, m8. Fronts well low...

Andi,

I'm in the middle of planning suspension & brakes to my VR6. I put new standard discs & pads on it last w/e for the MOT this Fri. If u can wait a few (?) days till I've made up my mind what I'm going to do you can have the discs & pads if you want m8

Am I a good bloke or what?

Top bloke - but too slow ;)

Done option a) now.

Thanks anyway m8 :)

Can some one hemp me i'm notto good on the english technical terms what are the bushes :oops:

It seem to be important and as i'm haveing koni's puton in a couple of weeks i'd love to know

Cheers :oops:

There was another option, check out the ads in PVW there was a bloke selling a spring and shocks could've bought the whole lot or get him to split!

By the Way if anyones selling Koni Rear shocks give me a PM adjustable or not.