Vince@Stealth

Stealth Racing VR6 Turbo Kits

I would like to take this opportunity to announce that our long awaited VR6 stage 1 turbo kit is now available.

We have been working on our Corrado over the last few months and are pleased to say that we have seen some great results.. Almost 360bhp (flywheel) from our stage 1 intro kit..

For anyone who is considering this type of conversion and would like a test drive (by appointment) please contact me at [email protected] or give me a call on 01926 812259.

Thank You

Vince

Some info about our Turbo kits.

When Stealth set about this VR6 Turbo project we set out a certain criteria that we wanted to meet, all the boxes needed to be ticked before launching the kit.

1: Air filter / Intake to be mounted on same side as OEM, negating the need to relocate battery into the boot. I’ve seen some kits that have the cone filter mounted directly behind the radiator ie: not relocating the battery, all that hot air, madness in my opinion.

Our Intake sits on the O/S, so this box is ticked;-)

2: The turbo kit had to incorporate the stock intake manifold negating the need for short runner intakes as these invariably need slimline radiator fans as there is no room for the stock fans. 2 Advantages to this requirement, firstly better torque from the stock intake and secondly and importantly no additional expense. Box is ticked ;-)

3: For Corrado’s. A good sized Intercooler needed to be fitted but without affecting the exterior look of the car. I am really glad to say this box is also ticked;-)

4: Target BHP for our Stage 1 would be at least 350bhp.. Target achieved my Corrado has made 360bhp with 9psi boost. Box Ticked;-)

5: Size the turbo correctly for what we believe to be the best compromise. By this I mean not boosting to early and putting undue strain on transmission components and not being too laggy and turning your VR6 into a slow boosting then almighty kick in the backside Sierra Cosworth. Box Ticked;-)

6: We feel 360ish bhp is a very safe figure for stock internals with a head spacer, however if our customers decide on an engine upgrade at a later date then our turbo kit would need to also meet these requirements. In other words with the correct mechanicals this kit should do (Stage 2) 440bhp. We will look at stage 3 another day. So no wasted money in what you have already spent. Box Ticked;-)

7: OEM ECU to be retained using our own in house tuned and tested software. Box Ticked;-)

Below you will find the spec and list of parts included in our Stage 1 intro kit.

T04s Turbo – 0.70 Cold. 0.68 Hot.

4” Intake.

3” V-Band exhaust outlet.

We then send this to CR Turbo’s in the UK who upgrade with Garrett 360 degree bearings and seals.

SPA T4 Turbo manifold.

38mm Wastegate. Stainless 38mm Wastegate connecting elbow.

4” Intake pipe and where applicable built in MAF housing for hot film sensors.

ISV take offs and crankcase recirc as required.

4” 45 degree Silicone Elbow.

Turbo Oil feed and return Lines. Sump Gasket.

Front mounted Intercooler

Intercooler connecting pipes with rolled lip edges, all required silicone connections

(various sizes) with max grip clamps.

Custom built 3” downpipe which is then V-Banded to your existing exhaust or if this is not suitable then we offer custom built exhausts in house as an option.

6 x 440cc Injectors.

6 x Spark Plugs

Engine Oil, Oil Filter and Coolant.

Closed loop Dump Valve with pick up and return connections.

2mm Steel Spacer with OEM Steel gaskets for either side.

ARP Steel Head Bolt Set.

JR Cone Air Filter

Custom Tuned software with Rolling road power graphs.

All in all the above mentioned Kit comes installed at £4400 inc VAT.

To give you some comparison this is about the same amount we charged for the last Stage 2 Supercharger kit we installed.

For the moment all kits to be installed in our workshop. We will try and cater for DIY later on but I have no dates at present.

A few things to consider

1: This is an Intro kit which can be tweaked to individual requirements as necessary if required? and the price adjusted accordingly.

2: Think about a decent clutch kit, We generally use Helix Clutches. Helix clutch kit price is £375 inc vat. We are looking for a cheaper alternative at the moment, maybe Clutch Masters or similar, we are even happy if you supply your own. Either way Installation labour will be £211.50 inc Vat.

3: Fuel Pump…..

Golf OBD2 owners this is a must as you only have a 3 bar pump as standard.

Corrado and Golf OBD1 owners you have a 4 bar pump and if it is in tip top condition you can probably? just about get away with it. My Corrado has the OEM pump still in it and it holds pressure beautifully at high demad.. Well for now anyway, I am sure it will give up the ghost soon.

We can supply and fit a suitable Walbro replacement pump at £160.30 inc Vat

4: Insurance, shop around before making any final decisions. Some insurance companies have BHP categories so if they quote you sensible premiums on say 325bhp and not so sensible on anything over 325bhp. If you prefer we can lower the boost and retune to a lower figure as required. It is up to we are totally flexible.

5: ARP Conrod bolts are a good investment and good insurance for your motor.

We can fit these at time of install for £164.50 inc vat.

6: Blimey I almost forgot Brakes! Yes you need em, good ones :D

How long are you looking at the car being with you for this? When are you taking first orders?

Orders are being taken at the moment, some of the parts we keep in stock some we order in as necessary.

A deposit of 2K is required at time of order, 2 weeks after deposit we should have all the parts ready to fit.

We then need your car for 2 weeks to carry out the conversion.

Let me know if you have any other questions?

Vince

With Grill This Time

Forgot to mention the intercooler is twice the height of what you can see in the first photo, it goes right down and is about level with the coolant radiator.

For the level of boost we are currently using there is more than enough flow through the grill to bring down intake temps to adequate level. With the lower bumper grills removed and a cleverly mounted air scoop cooling would be even better, we will save this mod for stage 2 :D

Front-Grill.JPG[/attachment:bx1ckv2e]

Would air con pipework etc be a problem in the bay?

umm, Aircon, It took a lot of work to get that intercooler in there. I reckon to be honest it would be a problem.

Next time we see a Corrado with aircon in the shop I will have a look and see if anything is possible?

I don't hold out too much hope though :(

can this kit be used in conjunction with my existing schrick intake at all?

Your with Schrick will probably be producing something like 205lbft (peak) at around 4000rpm

Have a look at the turbo torque graph, at 3000rpm you about 220lbft and at 4000rpm you got about 325lbft.

I have never run a schrick turboed car on our dyno so can't tell you exactly what it would do....

I my opinion you don't need it.... let the turbo to the torqueing :D

Wow! What a solid wall of torque! :norty:

Very neatly packed bay. :notworthy:

Are all three curve sets using standard cams, inlet mani and valves?

Is the charger curve from a Vortech-V9 installation?

What a package! :clap:

Yes all cars have stock cams,

Is the charger the charger curve from a Vortech? Yes it is.

My car is totally Stage 1 Intro, it has to stay this way so potential customers can have a fair view on what they will get for £4400.

It would not be fair or right if I had cams and a whole host of other goodies. I would never mislead anyone.

Doesn't mean I can't have a flicky switch for 400+bhp though 8)

One question; would the 'wall of torque' that this kit produces put a hell of a lot of stress on a standard gearbox? Or is the 02A capable of handling that fairly easily?

P.S. the numbers look very impressive 8)

This spec of Turbo was carefully chosen to try and avoid damage to gearboxes but on the same hand not having a laggy low compression slug..

Somewhere I have some power / torque graphs of VR6 Turbo's with incorrectly sized turbo's fitted... IMHO

I will see if i can dig them out and plot them against the graph's form our kit so you can see for yourself.

OK this one is our Corrado Turbo 9psi vs Golf MK2 VR6 Turbo OBD1 (Hot Film MAF), 15Psi Boost, Short Runner Intake.

The MK2 has the pretty much the same turbo as ours except a 0.82 Exhaust Housing....(ours is 0.68 Hot)

I only Tuned this car for the owner as fitted all the turbo kit himself .

Funnily enough we are fitting a turbo kit this week in a MK3 VR6 OBD2 with the same Turbo that is in that MK2.

I'll Let you know how it turns out.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfStealth vs 0.82 Hot - Power.jpeg[/attachment:17pf0u0d]

Stealth vs 0.82 Hot - Torque.jpeg[/attachment:17pf0u0d]

Is there any chance of seeing it up against a similar rotrexed VR? This was going to be the route I was going for. Now after seeing this it may of changed my mind towards going turbo!

Stealth Turbo 9psi Blue

Rotrex 18psi Green

Corrado with Rotrex has SP263 Cams and Short Runner......We fiited all this for our customer then remapped it.

Worth mentioning here that the Rev limiter on our Corrado is stock, ie not upped

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfStealth vs Rotrex Power.jpg[/attachment:3ejbyach]

Stealth vs Rotrex Torque.jpg[/attachment:3ejbyach]

Stealth Corrado Turbo (Blue)

vs

Jons Corrrado Turbo (Purple).... This car is OBD2, short runner, customers own DIY Install and Stealth Remap.

In my opinion this turbo is slightly too small just about peaks at 15psi but can't sustain it.

Spools very fast and possibly into gearbox breaking territory??

I had some fun with a camcorder while remapping this one

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfStealth vs Jon S Power.jpg[/attachment:3uw3bv1i]

Stealth vs Jon S Torque.jpg[/attachment:3uw3bv1i]

OK Last set of power Dyno Plots

This is how NOT to turbo a VR6, the turbo is so small that it almost becomes a restriction in the exhaust system once the rpm's start to climb

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfHow not to turbo a VR6 power.jpg[/attachment:oogpg9e1]

How not to turbo a VR6 Torque.jpg[/attachment:oogpg9e1]

Wow, those plots are a lot closer than I thought they would be. Very impressed at how smooth the torque curve is on your VRT vince, do you think that's down to the use of the standard manifold?

Thank You for your positive comment.

There are possibly many factors here and yes the stock manifold could be one of them.

Vince

Driven it. !!! :D :D :D

Impressive stuff, and had a big grin on my face all day after.!!!!!

Well, Vince had to make sure it passed the Wendy Test, before letting you guys loose with it !!! :lol:

Guys

Sorry, but I've had to clean this thread up because it's in the Suppliers section and Vince needs to keep it clear for information relating to the kit and for any announcements etc.

The old thread has been copied over to the Engine bay for general discussion and no one's posts have been removed.

Please keep any chat / banter in here please - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89101

Questions and comments for Vince relating to specifically to his kit can remain in here! :D

Thanks

hi vince looks very inpressive stuff, i was just wondering if you have a supply and remap price for the kit for thoes who want to put it in on there own?

hi vince looks very inpressive stuff, i was just wondering if you have a supply and remap price for the kit for thoes who want to put it in on there own?

Hi Perksy

At the moment all the kits will be fitted in our workshop, 2 reasons for this.

Firstly it's early days, we just want to ensure all installs fit perfectly, if there are any problems then we can overcome /correct them in our workshop. This may not be so easy for a DIY fitter?

Secondly, hopefully you will have noticed that our fitted price is very good? Trust me when I tell you that if we were to count up all the hours it takes to fit the kit + the cost of the bits it would come to quite a bit more than £4400. So the deal is good.

Therefore that leaves me with a bit of a dilemma, yes sure the DIY kit will be cheaper but at the moment costing the kit this way is my problem.

As things progress this may change but at the moment I can't give you any dates or prices.

I hope you understand?

Vince