Sign in to follow this  
neuon2003

Chopped hose VR6 - should I be worried?

My VR6 is running really well (touch wood) but I have just noticed a small hose which appears to have been cut/split and the ends sealed with screws. The pipe is to the top left of the engine cover. Pictures below.

Do I need to worry about the 'modification''?

Many thanks.

I wouldn't worry too much, its only part of the 'breathing' system.

If its running good, I wouldn't worry, make sure the screws are secure though, i.e sealing well and not likely to get sucked in/blown out.

Thanks Andy.

Do you have any idea why this modification could have been done (I am just curious)?

Do you know what this part is, labelled below, which the hose attaches to?

Cheers,

I believe its called a PCV valve, or Positive Crancase Ventilation valve, it allows oily fumes under pressure to escape from the cam cover and be sucked into the air intake and be combusted.

Thanks Andy.

Do you have any idea why this modification could have been done (I am just curious)?

Do you know what this part is, labelled below, which the hose attaches to?

Cheers,

normally they split apart you can bung em up like the pics or do what i did and glue it back together with super glue which has worked fine

Looks more like the fuel tank ventilation system to me, if so it will make bugger all difference.

Does the blocked pipe got to the charcoal canister below the airbox?

Thats def the crank case breather as said above. I dont even have a valve on mine, just a S shaped bit of of pipe.

By the way, can anyone tell me what the plug at the top of the pic is for as the connection it plugs into on mine appears to be a blank - there's no pins in it. However the actual clip with the wires on as fallen off :lol: But dont get what it would be for?

By the way, can anyone tell me what the plug at the top of the pic is for as the connection it plugs into on mine appears to be a blank - there's no pins in it. However the actual clip with the wires on as fallen off :lol: But dont get what it would be for?

It is blank on UK cars, its for something temperature related on cars in colder climates.

It is blank on UK cars, its for something temperature related on cars in colder climates.

Cool. It doesnt matter then that my plug fell of and disappeared somewhere. :lol:

Thanks Andy and everybody for the very helpful responses :cheers:

I have some Q-bond so may have a go at gluing. If not, then to the Ford garage :)

Seems to. It joins onto another valve (with an electrical sensor) underneath the air intake hose. From there another small hose then leads along the wing towards the charcoal canister.

Yep, Galaxy V6

Is there any specific engine number / model year for compatibility, or is '1995 Galaxy V6' good enough?

Cheers,

Seems to. It joins onto another valve (with an electrical sensor) underneath the air intake hose. From there another small hose then leads along the wing towards the charcoal canister.

Cheers,

The broken pipe is only the fuel tank breather, which is vented to the inlet manifold under certain engine conditions. Not really essential but makes the car very slightly more environmentally friendly (I think).

Be careful if you glue it as a small vacuum leak could cause idling issues.

Be careful if you glue it as a small vacuum leak could cause idling issues.

Many thanks indeed for that. A great tip that could save many hours of gnashing and wailing :salute: