Sign in to follow this  
moneypit23

Scary! Loss of power, no revs but engine still running?

I was wondering whether anyone can shed some light on this...

I was driving back from work doing about 50 on a dual carriage way and i was just about to overtake a lorry when the enging seemingly died. There was no power so i had to quickly hit the hazards and pull over at the side of the road.

The rev counter was showing nothing but the enging was still running so i switched it off and tried to re-start it. It wouldn't start at first so i took out the key, locked it and unlocked it with the remote. It started this time and seemed perfectly normal and was normal all the way home in heavy traffic.

Previous to this i have noticed the occasional slight surge in power when driving along at about 50-60 but other than that the car has been running perfectly.

Does anyone have any idea what might have caused this and whether it is likely to do it again. The MOT is on wednesday but i'd rather sort anything i need to myself first.

The car is a 95 VR6.

Thanks in advance.

Kate

No. There was also a slight electrical type of noise coming from that side of the dash now i think about it.. hmmmm... i thought it might be the original swith dying a death but maybe its related?

was it a click click clicking noise?

Maybe loose ecu relay or something along those lines.

Intermittent faults are always differcult.

Bump for more ideas.

No it was more of a spark type noise. A bit like the stiff switch on my hair straighteners (not that its any help) so could be a loose wire.

might be te ecu relay, its no 109. about £12 from VW. Was the car hard to start afterwards? Has it happened since? Do the needles jump around a bit, especially revs?

It wouldn't start immediately but did after a minute or so. There have been no issues with dodgy revs or anything just this one incident. I knew things were going too well.

OK, firstly check that the relays are all properly seated, but its a cheap thing to rule out so i would replace this asap. Is there anyone nearby with VAGCOM?

I've got vagcom and am quite often in/around manchester during the working week. let me know whereabouts you are and can meet up to look at it if you want.