Sign in to follow this  
sixpotter

Best everyday set up for KW V1's on Speedlines

Want these set up to handle and loose the mahooosive arch gap but do not want to lose sump! Car is on standard Speedlines would like set up with slight nose down stance which probably will not be sump friendly...

ANy ideal drops front and back, with pics if possible... Thanks as always :D

still not had mine setup since i got them on, haven't even got the heights equal (no wonder it handles abit odd) :lol:

when i do get round to having them done, i'm asking for as low as possible without the wishbones becoming inverted, then the rear to match

I did mine in a very technical manner, drop it as low as it went then lifted it so the tyres sat in line with the arch. sits perfect and where i live the roads are shocking (countryside) and i've only hit my sump once *touch wood*

The problem i had, is i spent a full day measuring and adjusting on my drive. But ones it went for the geometry set up, each side was slightly different. This was because my drive obv isnt as flat as it looks. So unless the surface the car is sat on its absolutely flat you will always get difference.

That was measuring the floor to the top of the arch, not the threads. i guess measuring the threads would make it even all round but i found they looked uneven when the car was on the ground.

I think I will ask Vince to do it and do a geo check after replacing all the bushes etc, should feel like a new car but just want to know how low I can go sensibly.

I finally got round to adjusting mine yesterday, having had them on a few months, will post pics later :)

mine... needs a slight tweek as it has dropped a little since fitting but i think it sits quite nice.

Photo178.jpg

Gav have a look at my build thread... this was as they were set "out the box" dunno if all are like this or I had a lucky set... and as you can seee they've not even settled either!

Gotta love The KW-1's :clap:

Gav have a look at my build thread... this was as they were set "out the box" dunno if all are like this or I had a lucky set... and as you can seee they've not even settled either!

Gotta love The KW-1's :clap:

i found the fronts on mine sat higher then the rears when fitted straight from box. Not sure why lol

The problem i had, is i spent a full day measuring and adjusting on my drive. But ones it went for the geometry set up, each side was slightly different. This was because my drive obv isnt as flat as it looks. So unless the surface the car is sat on its absolutely flat you will always get difference.

Yeah that is a problem. Best to adjust the height on a 4 wheel alignment rig as they HAVE to be dead flat and level. Or if you're not allowed in the workshop, ask the mechanic to make a note of the differences in height and you can adjust it accordingly when you get home.

Personally I set the drivers side a little higher than the passenger side so that's it's level with just me in the car.

The rear is a pain due to the solid axle. You can raise one side 20mm and find the other side has risen 10mm aswell, or raising it 30mm on the spring perch barely lifts the rear of the car 5mm, and so on.....so it can take ages to get right....and then when you fill up with petrol, it all goes to c0ck again, so don't worry about it. Just set it to a height you like (with a full tank) and leave it :D

Who can afford a fulltank of petrol these days ?? :lol:

Filled up Friday £75 got none left today sad times :( LOL

Swiftkid that looks nice! My area has some bad speedbumps and rubbish roads mind... I would like mine that low up front and up slightly at the back, makes a hell of a difference to the asthetics of the C though - can't wait for them tog o on :D

How do you get on with that sump? have any trouble on steep drives etc?

I live part town/part countryside so i get worst of both worlds... bumpy roads and speed bumps. have no trouble with either. there WAS a bracket on my exhaust that has now bent and mangled from those stupid speed bumps that are thin enough to get wheels either side but i tend to go round them.

*touch wood* i've only bottomed my sump out once and that was driving down a road i didn't know over a little humped bridge

Yeah i set mine up to be almost sat level from front to back, then dropped the nose about 1cm. Dont want it to low though cos its a daily.

I hit my sump the other week, where the buses had greated ruts in the road, so was raised in the middle. But also there was a bump so as the suspension compressed due to the bump. The knocked on the raised part in the middle.... luckily only seemed to take some paint off. :( Still not good though.

Swiftkid that looks nice! My area has some bad speedbumps and rubbish roads mind... I would like mine that low up front and up slightly at the back, makes a hell of a difference to the asthetics of the C though - can't wait for them tog o on :D

How do you get on with that sump? have any trouble on steep drives etc?

no offence to swiftkid but that doesn't look good to me at all, you at least want the curve of the arch to follow the curve of the wheel whereas the arch is cutting off the top of the wheel in that pic. and i scrape my catguard on speedbumps with only a 40mm drop let alone the 80+mm that that looks to be.

if you want a good looking KW1 set up on 15s then look at Goldies members gallery. his storm was on solitudes but they're the same size and it looked perfect to me - probably about 55-60mm drop.

like i said dukest, i did have it set higher but the suspension has settled and dropped

edit, how it should look and in my opinion could do to go up a slight bit more on the back:

Photo187.jpg

LOL, I filled up today and then discovered the driver's side rear needed a further 10mm jack up to compensate. Bloody coil overs :lol:

Yeah i set mine up to be almost sat level from front to back, then dropped the nose about 1cm. Dont want it to low though cos its a daily.

I find FWD cars handle better with the nose slightly elevated. A 2 finger job at the front and 1.5 fingers at the rear, or 2 girlfriend size fingers is about right. Or if you measure from the sill, 10-15mm lower at the back.

LOL, I filled up today and then discovered the driver's side rear needed a further 10mm jack up to compensate. Bloody coil overs :lol:

I find FWD cars handle better with the nose slightly elevated. A 2 finger job at the front and 1.5 fingers at the rear, or 2 girlfriend size fingers is about right. Or if you measure from the sill, 10-15mm lower at the back.

If i raise the front by 20cm, would you A) notice its higher at the front and B) notice the difference in handling?

I could do with setting it all up again on a completely flat surface tbh.

How does the ride comfort compare to standard on the kw 1's? Looking for a set to lower the car on speedlines like above but don't want to sacrifice much ride comfort.

How does the ride comfort compare to standard on the kw 1's? Looking for a set to lower the car on speedlines like above but don't want to sacrifice much ride comfort.

Its noticably harder the standard, but not uncomfortable. Thats on 16s btw

you can beat the old two finger test lol. i set mine up 590mm on the front and 600mm at the rear!!