Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

OBD2 conversion

I know a lot already has been discussed, and I have looked through a good few threads but I couldnt find the specific answer to what I am looking for, please keep in mind, I'm a bit dumb when it comes to anything technical!! Patience with me please.

I know what I need for conversion, what my question is, where did you guys go to get the parts? I'm assuming either scrappies or ebay?

If we go ebay, how much should the limit be for everything?

How much is it in total from the stealers?

Cost from the stealers I'd assume would be astronomical... wiring looms always are. Definately better off trying to get from someone breaking an OBD2 car!

bigpants baby normally puts everything together out of cars he is breaking for around £275 IIRC - maybe worth a PM

I paid £250 for the complete setup 4 or 5 years ago from a breakers in Essex.

There aren't that many 96-on VR6 Golfs left I would imagine, which could push the prices of OBD2 conversions up, especially as OBD1 Golf owners also like to carry out the conversion. Supply and demand :D

Stealer prices!! you nutter :lol:

ECU - ~£500+VAT

Stepper motor throttle - £300+VAT

Inlet manifold - ~£500+VAT

Immobiliser box - ~£200 IIRC

Engine Harness - £LOTS + 3 Kidneys + VAT....if it's still available.

I paid £250 for the complete setup 4 or 5 years ago from a breakers in Essex.

There aren't that many 96-on VR6 Golfs left I would imagine, which could push the prices of OBD2 conversions up, especially as OBD1 Golf owners also like to carry out the conversion. Supply and demand :D

Stealer prices!! you nutter :lol:

ECU - ~£500+VAT

Stepper motor throttle - £300+VAT

Inlet manifold - ~£500+VAT

Immobiliser box - ~£200 IIRC

Engine Harness - £LOTS + 3 Kidneys + VAT....if it's still available.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! :cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

Erm, breakers/scrappies/forums it is then!!!! Shall keep a lookout!

Cheers for the replies all!! 8)

Ok, another question, if I am deciding to eventually go for Vince's turbo kit, is there is still a benefit in going for the OBD2 or not?

Thats ok then.

I just didn't want to get the turbo kit added on with Vince's remap only to find that Vince's remap would have done the job that the OBD2 would now do, if you get what I mean.

Right, that's OBD2 on the ever-growing list now aswell!!!

Just a quick one.

I did the conversion a little while ago and for curiosity i modified my obd1 manifold to fit the obd2 throttle body to compare the two.

The obd1 manifold seems more responsive than the obd2, so ive been using it ever since.

Anyone else done this and using the obd1 manifold on the odb2 conversion?

I contemplated it, but the major difference was the size of the flange where the throttle body fits. What did you do, cut the OBD2 flange off and weld it to the OBD1 manifold? The only other difference I could see was a vacuum take-off for the ISV which is easy to block off.

Thats ok then.

I just didn't want to get the turbo kit added on with Vince's remap only to find that Vince's remap would have done the job that the OBD2 would now do, if you get what I mean.

Right, that's OBD2 on the ever-growing list now aswell!!!

Don't forget thatonce you've got the kit you've then got get the bugger installed, which will cost a fair whack as the loom is a bit awkward.

Don't forget thatonce you've got the kit you've then got get the bugger installed, which will cost a fair whack as the loom is a bit awkward.

Yeh I know, dont remind me... :(

I contemplated it, but the major difference was the size of the flange where the throttle body fits. What did you do, cut the OBD2 flange off and weld it to the OBD1 manifold? The only other difference I could see was a vacuum take-off for the ISV which is easy to block off.

I blocked off the isv hole and got sum m8 aluminium threaded bar machined up and loctited it in the obd1 manifold holes.

Left it a day and sanded them flush with the flange, then marked out where the obd2 throttle body sat drilled and re tapped the threads in the manifold.

The only thing i had to do then was shorten the throttle cable bracket from the obd1 bringing the cable closer to the manifold so it was alligned with the obd2 throttle. Easy peasy..

The only downer was i got the golf manifold powdercoated and the corrado one is just plain and scabby, mabie il just paint it or polish it right up...

It feels more resposive but when i get round to getting my 263's and remapping it im hoping on asking nicely if i can swap them over and do a comparison with both manifolds.

Hmmm, interesting...what did you do about the massive difference in throttle body throat size? There must have been quite a large step from the OBD2 t/b to the OBD1 inlet?

In truth there isn't alot of difference flange side with regards to bore diameter.

when you compare the throttle body gaskets the obd1 is slightly bigger but out of memory only by 2mm or so. as it only cost a couple of quid to experiment i thought what the hell.